Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Try to adjust Eco, Trail and Turbo assistant levels.
Based on your writing, it looks like you are in good shape.

Maybe these adjustments would suit you
Eco 20/40
Trail 40/60
Turbo 80/100

Try different values

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
During my rides, I do about 80% ECO and 20% TRAIL.
I never use Boost.
So far max I've done is 45km with 1600 elevation gain.

My settings are:
ECO 30/45
Trail 45/100
Boost 100/100

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
Try to adjust Eco, Trail and Turbo assistant levels.
Based on your writing, it looks like you are in good shape.

Maybe these adjustments would suit you
Eco 20/40
Trail 40/60
Turbo 80/100

Try different values

Thank you!
This is true in fact for "normal rides" I've tried the Eco at 15/30 and it is still less tiring than the "analogic" xc bike. But in that case the speeds are very similar to the normal bike.
But I would like a setting to squeeze as many laps as possible in the Recovery Rides where I want to keep my active power output well below 200 watt.

My question was about the range I get in Turbo and the normality of it...
Theoretically speaking if I have a 500 watt/hour battery and a 500 watt output of the motor Uphill , I should drain the battery in a 1 hour constant Uphill...
My recovery power output is about 150 watt avg, so at max assistance ( x4 times my power, that should be max assistance of the Levo motor) it would have theoretically a motor support of 600 watt ( but it seems the motor limit is 560 watt).

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I ride mostly trail setting (35/100, rider 88 kg) and get 40km and change. It's the sweet spot for fun and range for me.

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
Unfortunately, i am joining the club with a broken shock ...
one reason I bought that bike was because i wanted coil ... i really don’t want the silly low end air

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
The low end air rides better than the low end coil , much better !
I wanted to upgrade to a x2 but had no joy

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
What you mean with that....the x2 sucked or you cant find it anywhere for purchase?
The kenevo comp warranty replacement is the dpx2 ( in your words “ silly low end air ) . I would’ve preferred the x2 and paid some extra cash but things don’t work like that !
As it happens the “silly........” dpx2 suits the kenevo’s setup alot better than the coil !

Bogo

Mar 5, 2021
Slovenia
Ok, motor was replaced with new one, dated July 2021. Now I have another problem. After few minutes uphill riding, strange noise comin from motor (ta-ta-ta...). When I switch motor off, noise is gone. After power on, noise is back. I think, this is not normal. What do you think?

0 – 2 sec motor off

2- 6 sec motor on

6 – 10 sec motor off

10- 14 motor on

14 – 18 sec motor off

18 - 26 motor on

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I haven't followed this thread for a while, so maybe this has already been reported.
Whilst searching facebook for a superdelux coil shock to buy (for another bike) I came across a post showing the superdelux cracking on the rebound thread.

I checked mine & have the exact same crack.
Im aware of the leaky bomber cr and the potential snapping of coil shocks exacerbated by the wrong spring, or too much preload, but ive never heard of this issue before. Cracked right through on both sides upto the chamfer, so about 5mm.
So check your shock.

2021-4-8 13-36-1.jpg

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Bike is going to berkshire bikes on monday to hopefully get the shock warrantied. I expect I will get a superdelux air back.
In the meantime I have ordered a cane creek kitsuma coil from sprung as these appear to be suitable for use on the kenevo.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
It was a medium with low mileage. I think it was a good bike but just a little too heavy for my style of riding and my bad shoulder!

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@cozzy Mine cracked in the same place. RaceCo changed it for a Fox DPX2. RockShox haven’t got any Super Delux airs and there’s no due date for them either. Rather than having no shock at all I took the DPX2. Not tested it yet but bought an Öhlins TTX as well. That’ll take a few weeks to arrive so I’ll run the DPX2 in the meantime.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
@cozzy Mine cracked in the same place. RaceCo changed it for a Fox DPX2. RockShox haven’t got any Super Delux airs and there’s no due date for them either. Rather than having no shock at all I took the DPX2. Not tested it yet but bought an Öhlins TTX as well. That’ll take a few weeks to arrive so I’ll run the DPX2 in the meantime.
I've ordered a cane creek kitsuma coil which should be here today. I've decided not to warranty the rs coil but am getting a price to have it repaired as the shock will fit another bike I own.
If it's too expensive or cannot be repaired I will warranty it and wait for stock of rs airshocks then maybe sell it.
Seeing as I've just had to service a 5 month old dpx2 that had cavitated, I'm don't really want another as I dislike air shocks in general. Never had one last more than 10 months or so. There again the last 2 coils ive owned have failed. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@cozzy I’m not a fan of air shocks in general either. I never find them that plush and I have to run high pressure in them because I am a big lad. ?

I’ve just put the DPX on and it seems somewhat lacking in rebound damping with approx 250psi in it. I’m going for a quick ride now to see what it’s like.

I was planning on getting a TTX coil anyway so it’s no big deal. Got to wait six weeks for it to come from Ohlins though. Covid strikes again! Still it’ll be big difference between the DPX and the Ohlins so I’ll really feel the difference which will help justify dropping the best part of £1000 on a shock!

Good idea to get your Super Deluxe repaired and to use it on another bike. It’s cheaper than buying another new shock.

Let us know how you get on with the Cane Creek. It should feel pretty amazing coming from what is a bottom of the range shock.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Shock arrived & fitted. The spring adaptors supplied are too tall for my mrp progressive coil so have had to only fit 1 for now & ordered some hopefully shorter 38/36 adaptors for each end. The space available to fit a spring is much smaller than the standard superdeluxe. Certainly the stock RS spring is far too long.
May end up getting a cc progressive coil but I don't like the white colour it comes in.
Price to fix the cracked superdelux is £120 for the part, eyelet & shaft assembly, but obviously no stock. No rush though. I have nearly another year to decide if I want to warranty it or get it repaired.

IMG_20210414_132505.jpg

MEDUIX

Nov 21, 2018
BARCELONA
Shock arrived & fitted. The spring adaptors supplied are too tall for my mrp progressive coil so have had to only fit 1 for now & ordered some hopefully shorter 38/36 adaptors for each end. The space available to fit a spring is much smaller than the standard superdeluxe. Certainly the stock RS spring is far too long.
May end up getting a cc progressive coil but I don't like the white colour it comes in.
Price to fix the cracked superdelux is £120 for the part, eyelet & shaft assembly, but obviously no stock. No rush though. I have nearly another year to decide if I want to warranty it or get it repaired.

View attachment 58582

Very cool CC Kitsuma, it looks great!!!! Aren't you afraid that it will break the same as the RS or Marzocchi coil shocks??

I believed that the problem of broken shocks of the Kenevos was due to the suspension system, the link, etc ... that is to say that it is not a problem of the shocks, but of the design of the bike.

So if you put another coil shock on it ... it could easily break anyway.

Am I wrong??

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Very cool CC Kitsuma, it looks great!!!! Aren't you afraid that it will break the same as the RS or Marzocchi coil shocks??

I believed that the problem of broken shocks of the Kenevos was due to the suspension system, the link, etc ... that is to say that it is not a problem of the shocks, but of the design of the bike.

So if you put another coil shock on it ... it could easily break anyway.

Am I wrong??

This was recommended as it has a solid steel shaft compared to hollow shafts to accommodate the rebound gubbins when it's at that end of the shock. Plus I have a correctly sized spring with minimal preload applied.
I gather other coil shocks are also suitable, the ohlins and the ext, maybe others due to larger and/or solid shafts.
The marz was always cheap garbage and the superdelux not that much better.
The only shock I've ever owned that hadn't failed was a cc db coil, so I have high hopes for this.

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@cozzy the new shock looks pretty sweet. Annoying about the spring adapters not fitting but it shouldn’t take long to get the correct ones. £120 for the parts plus whatever it costs to rebuild it is still cheaper than a new shock. I’ve heard that the Super Deluxe coils are cracking around the rebound adjuster on all bikes not just Specializeds although the added stress on the shock due to the design of the linkage on the Kenevo obviously isn’t helping. Something to bear in mind should you decide to pay to have it rebuilt.

@MEDUIX there have been a lot of issues with the shocks on the Kenevo. Some of it due to the linkage design, some due to the shocks not being robust enough and some down to poor setup. With the correct shock and spring then hopefully there should be no more problems. I went for the Ohlins for the reasons listed by @cozzy.

I did a few runs on the DPX2 this afternoon on local tracks I know well. In summary it doesn’t feel too bad at all. As to be expected it’s much firmer off the top than a coil and doesn’t have the same plushness. It has more progression as you’d expect for an air shock. It feels like it could do with a bit more but I’ve checked and the 0.6 volume spacer that it’s fitted with as standard is the largest allowed by Fox. The back of the bike is less planted than before and there’s less traction under braking. It has plenty of rebound damping and I’m happy with it set about 6 clicks from closed. Not bad for an air shock then but I am really looking forward to getting the Ohlins!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
@Stompweaver I couldnt find anything about cracking superdeluxes online apart from the facebook post I added a few posts back, this info should be out there really as I guess the eventual outcome is it cracks all the way across & the eyelet falls off :eek: I would never have discovered this crack without seeing the post about it.
I got my mate to check his & no signs of cracking although he will be keeping an eye on it now :)
Its quite the weak spot when you look at it, they shouldn't have machined it down so much.

Indeed the dpx2 was pretty good on my specialized status, but I just expect it to puke all its oil out or cavitate & loose damping at anytime from previous experiences with airshocks. The superdelux will be fitted to this once parts become available again.

At least you have something to keep you riding & can look forward to the ohlins arriving (y)

Stompweaver

Jan 20, 2018
Stafford
@cozzy it was a reputable source that deals with a lot of suspension/bikes so it's likely that there are other failures of the Super Deluxe given how little material there is in this area. As you said it's heavily machined down. Our bikes put a lot of stress through that point so it's no surprise that we are experiencing the first, and most, failures.

I haven't killed the DPX2 yet and continue to be impressed by it's performance given it's a mid range shock that's being used on a heavy ebike with a heavy rider! ? As long as it lasts until the Ohlins arrives I'll be happy.

Did you get the spring adapters to fit your shock and have you had a chance to ride it yet?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
@cozzy it was a reputable source that deals with a lot of suspension/bikes so it's likely that there are other failures of the Super Deluxe given how little material there is in this area. As you said it's heavily machined down. Our bikes put a lot of stress through that point so it's no surprise that we are experiencing the first, and most, failures.

I haven't killed the DPX2 yet and continue to be impressed by it's performance given it's a mid range shock that's being used on a heavy ebike with a heavy rider! ? As long as it lasts until the Ohlins arrives I'll be happy.

Did you get the spring adapters to fit your shock and have you had a chance to ride it yet?

Im not particularly sensitive & have been guilty of leaving the lockout on & not noticing until ive been thrown into the scenery multiple times in the past (not this bike!) but my god the kitsuma feels bloody brilliant. A significant upgrade on the RS coil. I felt absolutely no need to touch any of the dials after initial setup with lsc/lsr in the middle, hsr to suit & minimal hsc & I think any tweaking could have messed it up.
Really really pleased with the shock.
A slight issue was with the mounting hardware. Its chamfered which the supplier claims to allow some float, fair enough, but due to the chamfer allows the hardware to intrude into the eyelet, which in this case has pushed the bush out by a small amount leaving the shock misaligned.
As we know the specialized yoke design is a bit harsh on rear shocks, so i've refitted the original mounting hardware which will not allow this to happen.

IMG_20210418_123807.jpg

Knusp. Ente

Apr 20, 2021
Germany
Hey folks! I want to switch out the boxxer fork for a fox 40, is there any trouble or other things I need to change in order to make it work or just swap the fork? I heard some have problems with the bigger offset and front wheel grip?

Also I noticed that a lot of you guys are actually building mullets.. is a 29er frontwheel really that much better? And If yes, do you still use all of the 200mm travel or did you go down to 180 again?

Sorry if this question is asked again, I did some research in the forum but couldn't find an exact answer

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Mullet every time, love mine, Wouldn't got back to a small front wheel or buy any bike that wasnt a mullet these days. Dropped to 180mm so the axle to crown is about 580mm, only 10mm higher than the stock setup.
EDIT although I am talking about the boxxer with 29 lowers & an rc2.1 damper upgrade rather than fox stuff. Offset I think is 56mm.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles