New Mission Control features

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I have been using the combination of smart power and smart HR together and I it is the best for me! I set up smart power to effort that I want to make and use smart HR as a "safety meassure" in case the smart power setting is not enough.It might sound complicated but once I found the setting I like I seldom adjust them.
Thanks a lot for this feedback.. I know that the configuration is not so easy, but there are a lot of different type of riders, and the "complex" configuration is for cover all the requests from these riders..
Thanks again..

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
Really poor from Specialized not to provide any instructions on these new features. Have trawled their site and other sites to get an idea of whats new and how they work. Would Garmin HR straps work?

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Really poor from Specialized not to provide any instructions on these new features. Have trawled their site and other sites to get an idea of whats new and how they work. Would Garmin HR straps work?

Agreed - apologies for this @Chubba . In-app help is coming in the next couple of months, but for the meantime please see below. These features are newly added and will continue to improve over the coming few months - feedback welcome on this thread.

Smart Control is an algorithm based on lots of ride data. Activating Smart Control means you don’t have to worry about the mode setting or battery capacity during your ride. Constantly during the ride, the system will calculate multiple parameters such as energy consumed, time/distance/elevation completed and remaining. The motor output will be adjusted based on that calculation. You ride, Smart Control does the rest.

There are several options to have Smart Control automatically control the motor output.

Heart Rate Control

You choose your target heart rate for your ride. With this information, the power output of the bike is dependent on your actual heart rate. The aim for you is to hit your target heart rate and maintain it throughout the ride. In general, bike support will decrease below the threshold and you will get more support if your heart rate exceeds it. It works with some intended limitations, for example: if you keep pushing harder than your target, at some point you cannot get more support. On the other hand, if you hardly get near your target, there will always be motor support (min. 10%). To use this function, you need to pair a Bluetooth heart rate belt (go to 'Settings' - 'My Sensors').

Elevation Support

This function takes into account elevation to control motor support. With you defining your expected elevation, the motor will give you more power on climbs and less power riding flat. This way, Smart Control gives you more support where you need it most, resulting in more accurate range control. Note: The precision of your mobile device elevation sensor is important. In case of GPS based elevation detection only, elevation might not be 100% accurate.

Climb Response

This setting allows you to experience a smooth motor support during your ride. If you set Climb Response to say ‘50m’, the system will only react after you gained more than 50m of elevation – the motor support would remain unchanged when riding up and down with less elevation difference.

Chubba

Sep 17, 2019
Cape Town, South Africa
Agreed - apologies for this @Chubba . In-app help is coming in the next couple of months, but for the meantime please see below. These features are newly added and will continue to improve over the coming few months - feedback welcome on this thread.

Smart Control is an algorithm based on lots of ride data. Activating Smart Control means you don’t have to worry about the mode setting or battery capacity during your ride. Constantly during the ride, the system will calculate multiple parameters such as energy consumed, time/distance/elevation completed and remaining. The motor output will be adjusted based on that calculation. You ride, Smart Control does the rest.

There are several options to have Smart Control automatically control the motor output.

Heart Rate Control

You choose your target heart rate for your ride. With this information, the power output of the bike is dependent on your actual heart rate. The aim for you is to hit your target heart rate and maintain it throughout the ride. In general, bike support will decrease below the threshold and you will get more support if your heart rate exceeds it. It works with some intended limitations, for example: if you keep pushing harder than your target, at some point you cannot get more support. On the other hand, if you hardly get near your target, there will always be motor support (min. 10%). To use this function, you need to pair a Bluetooth heart rate belt (go to 'Settings' - 'My Sensors').

Elevation Support

This function takes into account elevation to control motor support. With you defining your expected elevation, the motor will give you more power on climbs and less power riding flat. This way, Smart Control gives you more support where you need it most, resulting in more accurate range control. Note: The precision of your mobile device elevation sensor is important. In case of GPS based elevation detection only, elevation might not be 100% accurate.

Climb Response

This setting allows you to experience a smooth motor support during your ride. If you set Climb Response to say ‘50m’, the system will only react after you gained more than 50m of elevation – the motor support would remain unchanged when riding up and down with less elevation difference.
Appreciate the response, thank you!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Heart Rate Control

Do you know if the Apple Watch is supported here? I expect not but it would be nice to confirm.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Do you know if the Apple Watch is supported here? I expect not but it would be nice to confirm.

No, sorry @Fivetones - this isn't on any short-term feature release that we've seen.

If this is something that you'd like to see, it would be interesting to know which features you'd like to view/control via the Watch - no promises I'm afraid.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
No, sorry @Fivetones - this isn't on any short-term feature release that we've seen.

If this is something that you'd like to see, it would be interesting to know which features you'd like to view/control via the Watch - no promises I'm afraid.

Thanks for this. I’m just considering switching to a Specialized from a Shimano e8000 bike. So perhaps best if others respond to this. However, the Apple Watch HR function is pretty good so it’s mainly this I would like to access. The control would be via the iPhone.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for this. I’m just considering switching to a Specialized from a Shimano e8000 bike. So perhaps best if others respond to this. However, the Apple Watch HR function is pretty good so it’s mainly this I would like to access. The control would be via the iPhone.

Aha. Got you - sorry, didn't spot that your question was specific to the HR function on the Apple Watch. Not yet, we are working on this but unsure whether it's going to be possible.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town

@Specialized Rider Care

How about any other features we would like to see on the bar remote ?

I don't get that the turbo button takes you to your turbo setting on the app ... why can't the turbo button be just that ...TURBO (maybe even with shuttle on)... regardless of what you set the app to do. or even have the turbo button toggle between smart control on and off ... that way if I am using smart control and I need to get out the dang, I can toggle it off... use the + to get my Assistance and then toggle back on when I'm ready to cruise.
Doing this will allow us with 4 preset settings.

Last edited:

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
@Specialized Rider Care

How about any other features we would like to see on the bar remote ?

I don't get that the turbo button takes you to your turbo setting on the app ... why can't the turbo button be just that ...TURBO (maybe even with shuttle on)... regardless of what you set the app to do. or even have the turbo button toggle between smart control on and off ... that way if I am using smart control and I need to get out the dang, I can toggle it off... use the + to get my Assistance and then toggle back on when I'm ready to cruise.
Doing this will allow us with 4 preset settings.

Yes, I thought about that too!
Turbo buton for the 100/100 Turbo mode, and mode 3 is what we have selected in the mission control app!

The SL Levo has also green LED's in the TCU... Is that a new TCU, or could this also be done on the "normal" Levo? If so, the the TURBO mode could maybe displayed with different color.

I think there could be a lot of possible solutions, to add more modes or features to the firmware!

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Yes, I thought about that too!
Turbo buton for the 100/100 Turbo mode, and mode 3 is what we have selected in the mission control app!

The SL Levo has also green LED's in the TCU... Is that a new TCU, or could this also be done on the "normal" Levo? If so, the the TURBO mode could maybe displayed with different color.

I think there could be a lot of possible solutions, to add more modes or features to the firmware!

Green in sl is for extra battery.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Imo the new HR feature works great.
Did today 100km ride here in Finland. Weather was -3’c, normal winter condition with ice and snow. Rode with spike tires. There was 40% battery left when I got home:p
Set the HR treshold at 150bpm seems to work for me. Imo this hr system works smoother than blevo and is simple af to use, just set your treshold hr and your good to go.
One thing i do want to add it:
Option to set the lowest amount of power that system gives you when you are below the target hr.
@Specialized Rider Care

9A2D0962-AB3A-439C-B60A-4FB4E8436E7D.jpeg
038CAF16-8BCB-42BA-A780-A298536F1766.jpeg

Sharkbyte

Jan 23, 2020
Rocklin, CA

Heart Rate Control

Elevation Support

Climb Response

Heart Rate Control

Elevation Support

Climb Response

Will MC work with a Garmin Heart Strap?

Jul 18, 2019
Cape Town
Some feedback below from Specialized South Africa in response to questions on connecting a HR strap to Mission Control"

"you will need a Bluetooth enabled HR strap.

1. Turn strap on, then go into my sensors on mission control.
2. Make sure Bluetooth is on, on your phone.
3. Strap will appear on sensor screen. Mission control will find any Bluetooth strap it can see, then you select the one you want to pair.
4. If you want HR to be on Garmin as well, put fake channel to HR and it will share to your Garmin along with bike power, speed and cadence."

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Imo the new HR feature works great.
Did today 100km ride here in Finland. Weather was -3’c, normal winter condition with ice and snow. Rode with spike tires. There was 40% battery left when I got home:p
Set the HR treshold at 150bpm seems to work for me. Imo this hr system works smoother than blevo and is simple af to use, just set your treshold hr and your good to go.
One thing i do want to add it:
Option to set the lowest amount of power that system gives you when you are below the target hr.
@Specialized Rider Care

View attachment 25636 View attachment 25637
Good feedback..
I know that BLEvo is not so easy to configure, but if you set the NOT Expert mode, you have to select only the the BPM and all the parameters are set by BLEvo..
About the smother, I think you can configure BLEvo to be smother.. Which settings you used?
Do you have more statistical data than a photo of the LEDs?
The km and the elevation gain are very good, but they depend how much effort you did and how much help the bike gave you..

imsuperimposed

Nov 27, 2019
AUS
OK sorry, I've not looked at Blevo at all yet, misunderstanding it as an app solely designed to allow an owner to defeat the 15.5mph limit. Hence my question about the Spesh app doing similar.
Now I've seen the app properly, I'll probably buy it
Check out Robs video on blevo, gives a great overview.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Some feedback below from Specialized South Africa in response to questions on connecting a HR strap to Mission Control"

3. Strap will appear on sensor screen. Mission control will find any Bluetooth strap it can see, then you select the one you want to pair.
4. If you want HR to be on Garmin as well, put fake channel to HR and it will share to your Garmin along with bike power, speed and cadence."
I also fired off an email to Specialized USA and got the same instructions to connect an HR strap (it works!).

Here’s another nugget I wasn’t aware of: You can customize what to display in each of the ride stat fields! Press and hold on each field and a menu appears with a list of choices. I changed support level to heart rate. Unfortunately there are way more data choices then display fields so each to his or her own.

Sharkbyte

Jan 23, 2020
Rocklin, CA

Thank you!

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
@Specialized Rider Care
Are you planning also to add regulation of motor support depending on measured leg power by the bike? I think for many people that would be way easier to set up then HR based motor power because no need to pair any HR sensor and the power sensor is already in the bike.
Actually I was surprised that you did the HR thing instead.

Btw, with my Garmin Fenix 6x I can also broadcast the HR signal, but the phone/app will not detect it.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
@Specialized Rider Care
Are you planning also to add regulation of motor support depending on measured leg power by the bike? I think for many people that would be way easier to set up then HR based motor power because no need to pair any HR sensor and the power sensor is already in the bike.

Btw, with my Garmin Fenix 6x I can also broadcast the HR signal, but the phone/app will not detect it.
I think you know that BLEvo can adjust the assistance in function of the biker power..

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I think you know that BLEvo can adjust the assistance in function of the biker power..
For now I prefer Blevo over MC Smart Control due to this. When hitting a steep climb SC won’t increase support % unless your heart rate rapidly increases. Instead of blasting up it with Blevo automagically bumping up motor assistance, I have to downshift a bunch of cogs and climb it old school. In that way MC is closer to riding a conventional bike which is fine if that’s your preference. I did discover that the turbo button on the bar controller works for a short blast so there’s a way out but it inconsistently reverted back to SC.

Last edited:

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
@Specialized Rider Care

You can broadcast it only trough ANT+ , unless you are using an ANT+ adapter there are almost no smartphone with native support .

Garmin somehow broadcast it via Bluetooth as well , but as far as I know they didn't release this to third party apps ... and there is no heart rate share from garmin connect either ...

Sharkbyte

Jan 23, 2020
Rocklin, CA
Has anybody been able to get a Wahoo Tickr Heart monitor to work with Mission Control? I have followed the pairing instructions and it still is not showing up in Mission Control?

Sharkbyte

Jan 23, 2020
Rocklin, CA

Heart Rate Control

Elevation Support

Climb Response

I have a Wahoo Heart Monitor and have followed your directions to pair it with MC. I have my bluetooth on and the monitor does not show up under devices in MC. It does show up under my bluetooth on my phone. Is there something else I can do to get it to sync up with MC? Thanks!

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
I have a Wahoo Heart Monitor and have followed your directions to pair it with MC. I have my bluetooth on and the monitor does not show up under devices in MC. It does show up under my bluetooth on my phone. Is there something else I can do to get it to sync up with MC? Thanks!
I have a Wahoo Tickr - it works fine with MC. The way I got it to work was NOT to pair it to the phone - just remove it from the phone. Wear the Tickr, ensure Bluetooth is on (on the phone) DO NOT PAIR, start MC, let's ride, Smart Control, Heart Rate and bingo that should be that. Took me a while to figure it out - but its the same setup as my Garmin Fenix 5 to my phone. Hope that helps.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles