New Bosch 2022 Motor System (Bosch Smart System) Announced

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Bombie,

Don't want to get your hopes up, but:

Picked my 2023 Whyte e160 up last weekend. Didn't have time to tune suspension or set up cockpit. Couple of local rides, no issues. Started tinkering with cockpit/suspension few days later. LED remote wasn't where I wanted it so - unplugged the cable, moved LED mount. Plugged cable back in. Attempted to turn on - same issue as you - leds chase up and down but no start up (or connection to Flow app). Realised it must be due to not plugging cable in correctly, took a closer look, hadn't pushed it back in until it 'clicked' into place. It takes a fair bit of force.

Have you had yours apart and now have the same issue possibly? I suspect the blue leds chasing up and down but then switching off could indicate a connection issue with the LED module. On the underneath of the cable is a white mark which lines up with one on the the port, take care and check it hasn't somehow been caught and loosened. Hope this helps bud.

Tower

Edit: apologies, just spotted this was July, not August. Presumably you got it sorted.
Mine turned out to be the battery wasn’t clicked in properly. When the shop did the handover they insisted on showing me how the battery came out but they mustn’t have clicked it in properly.

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Mine turned out to be the battery wasn’t clicked in properly. When the shop did the handover they insisted on showing me how the battery came out but they mustn’t have clicked it in properly.
FFS! 😅 Glad it was something simple matey.

Did my first proper ride tonight, just under 16 miles. Awesome piece of kit! 👍

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Downloaded the update and set it installing to the bike. Now it won't reconnect. Contacted Bosch customer services who advised there is a known issue which they are trying to resolve which may take a couple of days.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Downloaded the update and set it installing to the bike. Now it won't reconnect. Contacted Bosch customer services who advised there is a known issue which they are trying to resolve which may take a couple of days.
Somehow that happened to my bike as well during the update. I tried reinstalling the app and restarting my smartphone--one or both of those steps resolved it.

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
This has happened to many users. What worked for me was to delete Flow and the Bluetooth link, then re-install Flow and go thru the set-up phase. It worked for me the 2nd time I re-installed Flow. Strange, but as I found on German dealer Youtube channels, this approach was most successful.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Im interested to know how guys a bove installed the update. Unless I am reading it wrong @Tower seemed to be saying he uppdated the Flow App and then connected to the bike? I connected to the bike and whilst connected I updated the app and I have no issues reconnecting to the bike.
As I mentioned a bove I do not however seem to be a ble to get the Navigation screen on my Kiox 300. I can select a Komoot tour and press go but nothing appears on the Kiox, so am I missing a step???

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Im interested to know how guys a bove installed the update. Unless I am reading it wrong @Tower seemed to be saying he uppdated the Flow App and then connected to the bike? I connected to the bike and whilst connected I updated the app and I have no issues reconnecting to the bike.
As I mentioned a bove I do not however seem to be a ble to get the Navigation screen on my Kiox 300. I can select a Komoot tour and press go but nothing appears on the Kiox, so am I missing a step???
Exactly that Mike. I did try unpairing blutooth and reconnecting to no avail. I didn't however try uninstalling the app which I'll now try.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Hi,

as per my pics in this thread, I used the navigation within the flow app (under map) and then it shows on the kiox 300.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Exactly that Mike. I did try unpairing blutooth and reconnecting to no avail. I didn't however try uninstalling the app which I'll now try.
in which case I wonder if the app update actually replaced the previous version and with it its bluetooth connection to the bike......................remember you cannot connect Flow to more than 1 bike. So since you cannot revert to the previous version of the app what you can do is run the app and in settings delete your connection to the bike and then connect to the bike as a new account. Your Bosch account will not be affected.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi,

as per my pics in this thread, I used the navigation within the flow app (under map) and then it shows on the kiox 300.

something is different with mine then! My second menu option on the bottom is "Ride" whereas your pic shows "Map".

Tower

Aug 21, 2022
United Kingdom
Fun fact: prior to attempting the update my battery was 41% with a claimed range of 5-15 miles. I'm certain as I was planning on running the battery flat tonight. It's now saying the battery is 49% with a range of 10-21 miles!?

Anyone got any ideas?

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
Fun fact: prior to attempting the update my battery was 41% with a claimed range of 5-15 miles. I'm certain as I was planning on running the battery flat tonight. It's now saying the battery is 49% with a range of 10-21 miles!?

Anyone got any ideas?
The updated software has improved the remaining mileage indication. I had the same, both battery and remaining mileage indications were changed after the update. More accurate.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
correct......I did not put a destination in the map, I selected a Komoot planned route and pressed Go. Is that the wrong way to do it? I thought the whole idea was to plan a route in Komoot.....or select one that is already there in the "Planned" section of Komoot, so have I missed a step? Having selected the planned route do I then need to select the "destination"..end point of that route?........but how do you do that if the route is circular!!?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
correct......I did not put a destination in the map, I selected a Komoot planned route and pressed Go. Is that the wrong way to do it? I thought the whole idea was to plan a route in Komoot.....or select one that is already there in the "Planned" section of Komoot, so have I missed a step? Having selected the planned route do I then need to select the "destination"..end point of that route?........but how do you do that if the route is circular!!?
I do not have or use komoot. I just pop a destination into the map on the flow app and start cycling. It then appears with directions on the Kiox.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I do not have or use komoot. I just pop a destination into the map on the flow app and start cycling. It then appears with directions on the Kiox.
I tried doing that but without moving the bike and nothing came up on the Kiox.....do you need to start riding the route for it to appear? If so I will try that tomorrow........knackered now after todays muddy and windy 17 mile ride!!
Interesting observation for you not related to Navigation............I typically have to wait 12 hours for the bike to upload a ride to Strava but it is nearly instant loading it to Komoot in the "Completed" tour section.

Last edited:

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Regarding the motor rattle/clunk over rough terrain, does this happen for you guys when the motor's under load going up an incline? Given it's pretty well accepted that the clunk is from backlash in the motor gears, I would have thought that there should be no opportunity for gear rattle when pedaling hard?

Does this happen to anyone else?

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Regarding the motor rattle/clunk over rough terrain, does this happen for you guys when the motor's under load going up an incline? Given it's pretty well accepted that the clunk is from backlash in the motor gears, I would have thought that there should be no opportunity for gear rattle when pedaling hard?

Does this happen to anyone else?
No rattle at all going uphill under load. My clunk descending is very minor too.

Jono967

Apr 4, 2019
Victoria Australia
I had the Bosch dealer install the new auto mode into the system
mine runs just the controller with no head unit
Then the next day it requested a software update which I did after a short play in the trails
Once installed I had trouble getting the system to connect to the flow app
finally after removing the bike from the Bosch app I could Re register the bike and it all connected
Today I took it out it went well until I had to climb a long steep hill on a fire trail and the motor just cut out. The controller flashed an orange type Color then turned off.
I could turn it back on immediately and the bike would run for a limited time the do the exact same thing on a climb
it didn’t matter what mode I was in and only did it on a steep long climb using gears 4-1
Rode down some decent down hill trails on the way back to the car with no issue
it’s currently at the bike shop waiting to see what the guys from Bosch have to say
It worked perfectly prior to the update

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I had the Bosch dealer install the new auto mode into the system
mine runs just the controller with no head unit
Then the next day it requested a software update which I did after a short play in the trails
Once installed I had trouble getting the system to connect to the flow app
finally after removing the bike from the Bosch app I could Re register the bike and it all connected
Today I took it out it went well until I had to climb a long steep hill on a fire trail and the motor just cut out. The controller flashed an orange type Color then turned off.
I could turn it back on immediately and the bike would run for a limited time the do the exact same thing on a climb
it didn’t matter what mode I was in and only did it on a steep long climb using gears 4-1
Rode down some decent down hill trails on the way back to the car with no issue
it’s currently at the bike shop waiting to see what the guys from Bosch have to say
It worked perfectly prior to the update
The update could just be a coincidence. my bike a Trek Rail did this before I updated.
I just took out the battery and the damping pad I had added, reinstalled the battery and it's all been working fine for a few hundred miles.

Jono967

Apr 4, 2019
Victoria Australia
The update could just be a coincidence. my bike a Trek Rail did this before I updated.
I just took out the battery and the damping pad I had added, reinstalled the battery and it's all been working fine for a few hundred miles.
Yeah I thought it could be the battery but I removed it on the trail.checked for moisture it was all dry everything seemed tight the reinstalled it and it did the same thing😍🥴

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I tried to set up komoot as a way to import gpx files
i couldn't get komoot and the flow app to connect and gave up after an hour
i'm getting a garmin edge as i am familiar with that format
Good move, even with the Bosch navigation working with komoot, it isn't a patch on a dedicated GPS device

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles