Other Mud Guards and Bike Protection Suggestions please

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
The single best choice, is the SICOMTB.... I've had one on each of the four Specialized EMTB's I've owned.
IMG_5614.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
View attachment 54461

I have experimented with a number of mud-huggers, and I have reduced the amount of mud collected on my back-side considerably.

However, I thought I would share this pic as it is very interesting to see the mud pattern, accumulating on the ‘cleaner side’ of the fenders.

Fenders are doing the job, but it could be improved.
what that shows is that the Ass Saver may stop a bit of muck getting onto your bac and backside but is also deflect mud back down onto your other mudguard, your pivot bearings chain and chainwheel etc..........in short Ass Savers are counterproductive and a waste of time I'm afraid. Assuming your rear mudguard is a Mudhugger FRX ( or similar, just get the large rear mudhugger and fit it over the top of your FRX. That way you can add the rear mudhugger and remove it whenever you like and the original mudguard just stays in place all the time. It costs you 6 zip ties each time you remove it...or get 6 re-useable zip ties.
Any mudguard more that 50mm away from the tyre does virtually nothing. In wet sloppy conditions most the mud is getting thrown at the top of the tyre so you need more coverage.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
The single best choice, is the SICOMTB.... I've had one on each of the four Specialized EMTB's I've owned. View attachment 54466
Im going to beg to differ:-
- Mud still thrown all over dropper and seat -- and me.
- Useless design as whilst it protects motor area, the fitting requirement ( removal of the frame protector ) results in every stone chipping away at lower frame - rotor side . Solves 1/2 problem creates another
. tempImagewtQOxx.png tempImageTkjaHG.png

Last edited:

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
20210205_153339.jpg

I'm really enjoying this set up.

I literally get no mud on myself or the bike. (The very bottom of the frame directly behind the front wheel will get some mud)

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
- Useless design as whilst it protects motor area, the fitting requirement ( removal of the frame protector ) results in every stone chipping away at lower frame - rotor side . Solves 1/2 problem creates another
. View attachment 54517 View attachment 54515

Yikes, that’s not good

guess I’ll stick with the central coast one

• Agree
Reactions: EME

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Yikes, that’s not good

guess I’ll stick with the central coast one
Yes, I shall fit too for summer. Waiting for a new OEM protector, touch-up paint and heli-tape and I will then replace and consign the SicoMTB to the bin.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
IMG_20201212_154748.jpg

Maybe (certainly) not the best looking but while we were in deep mud (in some places over the axles) these things are keeping us pretty clean. My mate with his Giant has a slightly shorter rear fender which causes some mud pile up on his Camelbak. Not a dirt trace on myself.

IMG_20201212_154816.jpg

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
. View attachment 54517 View attachment 54515
I've run SICOMTB on four different Levos and SLs. Over 2500 hard miles cumulatively with LOTS of mud and rocks... never had an issue.

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@grantini .. you can see what has happened from my pictures in about 2000 kms. Mine are the 'new design' .. I don't know about the old one.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have new and old design. There is apparently a NEW NEW design which allows the retention of the guard. I would email SICOMTB and show them your photos, I've had great experience with their customer service. I'm not questioning your issue but it seems like it would be hard to have that happen. I DID have that happen before I installed the SICOMTB on my 18 Levo..... a few pebbles worked their way into the pivot joint and did that, which was ultimately brought me to SICOMTB....

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@grantini Delighted you are happy. Maybe the latest design cracks the issue. maybe not .. but frankly I wont be bothering to contact them as there is little they can do apart from pay to have the bike resprayed , a simple case of once bitten twice shy and shouldn't have been released as is imho. .

You will see that at least 1 other buyer has made the same observation as me on this forum. I have no doubt that the design that I have isnt fit for purpose -- its obvious when I think about it. You cant remove the OEM protection. Its there for a reason. Culpa Mea.

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
Cant understand the obsession with keeping clean on here, thats half the fun of riding bikes!

I have a nice car so i like staying clean so i don't get the inside dirty. Also I'm a clean person in general, I'd rather be clean than not clean and the mudguard was an easy solution.

Also. I don't have "mountain biking" or "cycling" specific clothes, so I'd like to keep my clothing clean.

I think that's where my obsession for keeping clean stems from.

Like that red bike in this thread covered in mud, i get anxiety just looking at it (and that one actually has front and rear guards)

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have a nice car so i like staying clean so i don't get the inside dirty. Also I'm a clean person in general, I'd rather be clean than not clean and the mudguard was an easy solution.

Also. I don't have "mountain biking" or "cycling" specific clothes, so I'd like to keep my clothing clean.

I think that's where my obsession for keeping clean stems from.

Like that red bike in this thread covered in mud, i get anxiety just looking at it (and that one actually has front and rear guards)

There is no way to avoid getting mud on your bike and clothes if you are mountain biking. A fender won't do much to solve that issue.

Sledder

Aug 7, 2020
WA
Lots of good info in this thread still have question I’m looking for front fender for 21 Levo Comp with stock Fox 36 forks. What I have not found at least from pictures only is a front fender that looks like it will work with my Thule T2 hitch bike rack. When mounted on the bike rack, the shepherds hook (front tire holder) on the bike rack is approx 5” (12.7cm) from the front of the fork brace. Need a front fender that still allows use of the Thule rack. The RRP bolt on short or standard looks like the cleanest set-up but appears in pics that may not work with Thule rack. If someone has the RRP and can measure the distance from front of fork brace to front edge of fender or has another idea for front fenders I would appreciate the help. I tried RRP company and was told they only have measurement for the new design 2021 Fox fork not the 2020 Fox 36 fork that came on the 21 model Levo’s. Thanks

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Lots of good info in this thread still have question I’m looking for front fender for 21 Levo Comp with stock Fox 36 forks. What I have not found at least from pictures only is a front fender that looks like it will work with my Thule T2 hitch bike rack. When mounted on the bike rack, the shepherds hook (front tire holder) on the bike rack is approx 5” (12.7cm) from the front of the fork brace. Need a front fender that still allows use of the Thule rack. The RRP bolt on short or standard looks like the cleanest set-up but appears in pics that may not work with Thule rack. If someone has the RRP and can measure the distance from front of fork brace to front edge of fender or has another idea for front fenders I would appreciate the help. I tried RRP company and was told they only have measurement for the new design 2021 Fox fork not the 2020 Fox 36 fork that came on the 21 model Levo’s. Thanks

any short front mudguard will work. All you need for it to do is protect the tops of the fork tubes from having grit and water work in.

kuat 3.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles