brake up grade suggestions please

gazz

Oct 1, 2018
north wales
i have had my 2919 levo for three months ,apart from some problems with the power lead ,bike not powerering up etc,
i love the way it rides,but i am very frustrated with the sram brakes,front brake is ok,but the rear brake squeels a lot,i have tried
changing the pads,but espashley when riding in the wet it screems like hell.
has anybody else got this problem ?
and has anybody changed brakes and up graded zee s or saints etc please advise

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
See here might be worth having a word with your LBS and seeing what Spesh can offer you?

Mine’s in this week (while I’m away) for the 8020’s to be fitted but I’ll let you know how they are after a weekend ride...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I have a feeling most disc brakes can make a noise when wet - just due to water on the disc causing variable friction leading to vibration and resonance. Sure I've read something to that effect but can't find a link now.

Once you've braked hard a few times then the water is removed and they are back to operating like dry brakes (until they get wet again!)

If your brakes squeal when dry then that's another problem and should be fixable, but it could be due to a ton of different causes which can be hard to track down: contaminated pads, contaminated disc, misaligned caliper, misaligned disc, misaligned/stuck piston, bent disc, too long a run of loose hydraulic cable, to list some that come to mind.

I've been trying some rubber dampers on the discs recently, which seems to help with vibration at least slightly: Levo 2018 brake upgrade - EMTB Forums. But can still get some noise in the wet.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Grab some 60-200 grit Sand paper and sand in circles across the surface of the rotor - it will fix the issue. If the issue reappears, sand again...

It's the rotors, which have worn funky micro groves, which create that squealing sound. Some style rotors are more prone to developing squeaks

If you want some good brakes that are different get some Zee's. They can develop squeaks, like all brake rotors, but you might like the quicker modulation and power a bit better...

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
i have had my 2919 levo for three months ,apart from some problems with the power lead ,bike not powerering up etc,
i love the way it rides,but i am very frustrated with the sram brakes,front brake is ok,but the rear brake squeels a lot,i have tried
changing the pads,but espashley when riding in the wet it screems like hell.
has anybody else got this problem ?
and has anybody changed brakes and up graded zee s or saints etc please advise

A 2919 Levo?
Is it a hover ebike with a flux capacitor for the battery?
I think you will need graphene air brakes for this baby ?

Moving swiftly back to 2019.......
I agree, the rear squeals like a stuck pig on my bike too. As per what @dirt huffer said, use sand or emery paper to get rid of the squeals. This has worked for me on a few occasions.

I recently changed the front brake out to the new Formula Cura 4 pot on my 2019 Comp carbon. I have had them on for about 6 weeks now and would happily recommend them. Not sure what they will be like in a year or two as they are a new model so can’t comment on the longevity.

Formula use mineral oil in all their new brakes now and also use a revised shaped rotor that reduces squeal which appears to work.
They are super powerful and modulate well once you have done a few down hill runs and also once you have got used to the power :oops:. The pads tend to contact very early with only a small amount of lever throw. This took a bit of getting used to as I have Shimano Saint 820s on my 2017 but like anything different, you adapt and I am pretty happy with the set up now.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
thank you all for your input ,i will try sandpaper ,but i think i will be changing to shimano.
You do that.
And also do the same thing with the braking pads. If there is any glazing, it is ok to just rub them together, with some added dish soap. With this friction you dont have to use any sand paper and the brake pads will be like new afterwards. I do this with brake pads regularly when cleaning the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles