Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo brake pad and rotor up grade

Ockerman4

May 1, 2023
Aurelia, Iowa
Just got a 2021 Turbo Levo and I am wanting to upgrade the brake pads and rotors. Wondering what recommendations are out there and where to get them. I wish looking up bike parts was as easy as car parts.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Do you want to upgrade because you want an upgrade? Or because the current brakes are inadequate in some way? You don't like the initial bite? You don't like the modulation? They get hot and fade on long descents? They make too much noise?

I went with Magura MT7 with 220 rotors because I share my regular ride with hikers, their little kids, and their dogs. There is a bit more than 2000 feet of climbing and descending, and it seems like there are always hikers on the descents. I have to slow from 25-30 mph to 5ish mph to pass them without angering them. I need brakes that can dissipate a ton of heat.

Ockerman4

May 1, 2023
Aurelia, Iowa
Do you want to upgrade because you want an upgrade? Or because the current brakes are inadequate in some way? You don't like the initial bite? You don't like the modulation? They get hot and fade on long descents? They make too much noise?

I went with Magura MT7 with 220 rotors because I share my regular ride with hikers, their little kids, and their dogs. There is a bit more than 2000 feet of climbing and descending, and it seems like there are always hikers on the descents. I have to slow from 25-30 mph to 5ish mph to pass them without angering them. I need brakes that can dissipate a ton of heat.
They are a little worn and if I am spending money to replace I want to upgrade. I am also a little heavier and want to make sure I can stop if I need to.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
They are a little worn and if I am spending money to replace I want to upgrade. I am also a little heavier and want to make sure I can stop if I need to.
I think it's safe to say that any current name brand mtb brake will have enough squeeze to lock the tires, at least when the brakes are not overheated. So any of them will stop you when you need them to, assuming proper maintenance (bled, pads not oiled, pads not worn down to backing plates, etc.).

I'm sorry if this sound harsh, but it sounds to me as though you want to upgrade just because you like the idea of "upgrade". How will you know if the replacement brakes are truly an upgrade, meaning that they offer a real improvement in some aspect of performance, of if they are just different?

The various name brand options out there have different strengths and weaknesses. If you can't identify which aspects of your current brakes are inadequate, then I advise cleaning, bleeding, and replacing the pads. You don't need an upgrade.

Refering again to my case, my original SRAM Codes would be howling and faded by the time I got down to the parking lot if I encountered the typical number of hikers. I needed brakes that could dissipate heat better than the Codes. I liked the Codes otherwise. They had the right amount of initial bite, good modulation, generally quiet. They just couldn't take the heat.

RiderOnTheStorm

I'm using Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors front and rear with MTX Red Label Race ceramic/kevlar pads along with Magura MT5 calipers and HC 1-finger levers. I'm getting excellent stopping power which is what I was aiming for.

@Ockerman4 You could start by upgrading your brake pads first with higher performance compound, retest/compare against previous performance, and upgrade rotor (size) last if not satisfied, unless your current rotors are worn and need replacement anyway.

Note that when changing pad compound, it is generally recommended to use new rotors.

Reputable brake pad manufacturers offer pad types with different characteristics, and provide guidance to help you select the best pads for your riding. Here are a few that I have used:

Ockerman4

May 1, 2023
Aurelia, Iowa
I think it's safe to say that any current name brand mtb brake will have enough squeeze to lock the tires, at least when the brakes are not overheated. So any of them will stop you when you need them to, assuming proper maintenance (bled, pads not oiled, pads not worn down to backing plates, etc.).

I'm sorry if this sound harsh, but it sounds to me as though you want to upgrade just because you like the idea of "upgrade". How will you know if the replacement brakes are truly an upgrade, meaning that they offer a real improvement in some aspect of performance, of if they are just different?

The various name brand options out there have different strengths and weaknesses. If you can't identify which aspects of your current brakes are inadequate, then I advise cleaning, bleeding, and replacing the pads. You don't need an upgrade.

Refering again to my case, my original SRAM Codes would be howling and faded by the time I got down to the parking lot if I encountered the typical number of hikers. I needed brakes that could dissipate heat better than the Codes. I liked the Codes otherwise. They had the right amount of initial bite, good modulation, generally quiet. They just couldn't take the heat.
I got a bike second hand and the rotors have some wear in them. The pads look like they need to be replaced as well. I thought since they need to be replaced I would see what upgrades people recommend. Everyone likes the idea of an upgrade. I would rather upgrade now then spend money to replace with factory parts just to end up upgrading later.

SoCal Rider

Feb 21, 2021
Southern California
I have the same bike. The Shimano SLX 4 piston brakes are fine, just as effective as the more expensive XT and XTR brakes. I would agree that the spec'd 203mm rotors are too small for a full-powered eMTB and you'll get way more stopping power for your buck by sizing up. I went with Magura MDR-P 220mm rotors front and rear, with Jagwire semi-metallic pads (cheap on Amazon). You'll need 40mm disc brake adapters too.

Twindaddy

Nov 29, 2022
Chino Hills
I have a 22 Levo that came with sram code r which I did not like because of years using slx/xt. I threw 220 rotors on both f and r and replaced the pads with mtx gold. I’ve since gotten used to the sram feel and I think the changes I’ve made improved the overall stopping power enough for me. I have no complaints with the current set up and I prefer riding steep trails.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California

You didn’t say what brand/model brakes you have on bike, however, if available for yours the MTX GOLD compound is outstanding. This pad is fairly long lasting, offers more power, good modulation and fade resistance compared to most stock pads and other after-market pads that riding group of about 6-8 guys varying from 130 lbs to 220lb on analog and e-bikes have used.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles