Most Durable Drivetrain

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Living in scotland it's pretty funny to see what dry climate riders consider to be a dirty bike.
After your Sunday ride here you'd still be trying to brush mud out of the bike next Thursday using that method. :ROFLMAO:

Aqui. Se requiere agua para lavar el barro

;)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I am building up a new bike and am going to use a Shimano 10 speed drivetrain

1 - A Shimano drivetrain comprising 10 speed cassette, shifter, chain and derailleur is only £110
2 - Comparably, a SINGLE XT 12 speed cassette is £112, and is over 100 grams heavier than the 10 speed cassette
3 - I barely ever use the dinner plate cog and actually think 10 speeds make more sense on an EEB
4 - I'd rather spend the savings on better suspension
5 - Gary has been telling us this all along and he is right!

Englishmen talking about not needing 12 gears !
Go some where with real mountains . lol .

I have 12 gears and use them all .

Edit ... I use more gears when riding with non E bikers . I have to go to lower gears to crawl along behind them . On my own I would use higher cadence and more speed on the climbs and not need as low gear .

Last edited:

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Living in scotland it's pretty funny to see what dry climate riders consider to be a dirty bike.
After your Sunday ride here you'd still be trying to brush mud out of the bike next Thursday using that method. :ROFLMAO:

Aqui. Se requiere agua para lavar el barro

;)

yep still cleaning the mud out my eyes from todays efforts

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Edit ... I use more gears when riding with non E bikers . I have to go to lower gears to crawl along behind them . On my own I would use higher cadence and more speed on the climbs and not need as low gear .

Lol. Don’t need 12 gears. Just a smaller chainring. Problem solved.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Lol. Don’t need 12 gears. Just a smaller chainring. Problem solved.

Sure ...
How fast can you pedal going down hill ?

Bigger chain ring on the front . Bigger on the back too ! More climbing ability and more top end speed .
Ratios will also be effected by tyre diameter .

32 x 46 I was working a lot harder and using more battery . 32 x 51 was too low , and 32 x 11 not high enough .
36 x 51 and 36 x 11 suits me better .

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Sure ...
How fast can you pedal going down hill ?

Bigger chain ring on the front . Bigger on the back too ! More climbing ability and more top end speed .
Ratios will also be effected by tyre diameter .

just Busting balls. But for most people already riding an 11 speed setup, a smaller chainring is the cheapest and best answer most of the time vs $1000+ in new parts.

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Deore 10sp 11-42, 2x KMC Ebike chain (really necessary?), Shimano SM-CRE80 chain ring. Mileage so far: 1200 miles. Cassette is properly bolloxed in the lowest great but refuses to give any problems, both chains now over 0.75 but otherwise fine, chainring looks like it could do double the mileage. But as soon as problems set in I have a complete new drivetrain to go on, cost £90.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

Your strange little rant was akin to rocking up to a cock measuring competition to shout about your three inch peepee

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I started on a Sram EX1 11-48 8 speed, didn't get on with it so changed to Shimano 11-46 11 speed and although it's much better than the EX1 I'm thinking I should have gone 11-42 instead, maybe 10 speed as well although there doesn't seem to be so much choice in 10 speed...

Still got the complete EX1 setup if anyone's interested... ;)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I started on a Sram EX1 11-48 8 speed, didn't get on with it so changed to Shimano 11-46 11 speed and although it's much better than the EX1 I'm thinking I should have gone 11-42 instead, maybe 10 speed as well although there doesn't seem to be so much choice in 10 speed...

Still got the complete EX1 setup if anyone's interested... ;)
There are many ways to do 10 speeds, in an array of cassette sizes. Once it is lunderstood that shimano MTB 10 through 12 speed derailleurs, work with shimano MTB 10 speed shifters, 10 speeds becomes fairly simple.

What range you after? 11-42 is a standard deore cassette derailleur combo just go deore with an xt shifter. Done.

If your sensibilities demand fancy and expensive use xt or xtr 11 or 12 speed derailleur with deore, xtr, or saint 10 speed shifter. Pretty and tough.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
There are many ways to do 10 speeds, in an array of cassette sizes. Once it is lunderstood that shimano MTB 10 through 12 speed derailleurs, work with shimano MTB 10 speed shifters, 10 speeds becomes fairly simple.

What range you after? 11-42 is a standard deore cassette derailleur combo just go deore with an xt shifter. Done.

If your sensibilities demand fancy and expensive use xt or xtr 11 or 12 speed derailleur with deore, xtr, or saint 10 speed shifter. Pretty and tough.

I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to change my current setup, just with hindsight I maybe should have got the 11 speed 11-42 cassette or gone for a 10 speed setup instead. I have got the XT shifter and derailleur.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to change my current setup, just with hindsight I maybe should have got the 11 speed 11-42 cassette or gone for a 10 speed setup instead. I have got the XT shifter and derailleur.
10-4. I was responding to the part about not having choices in 10 speed. Whoops

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I would consider the new Shimano Deore M4100 if building a 10-speed system. 11-46t cassette and clutch. Too bad it's lacking hyperglide+ , but it keeps cost down at least. This system will work with a M5100 mech too.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I'm lucky to get 750 miles out of cassettes, chains half that, it could be that having a motor that puts out 2/3 of a horsepower, riding in dirt, dust and rocks reduces the life of metal parts.....yeah think? I always buy the cheapest drive parts that work, I typically break a derailleur every six months, don't forget send the derailleur's back to Shimano I've gotten 4 so far they're warrantied for two year's, don't ask your shop send it to Shimano directly.

Warm Regards Ruti

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
2018 commencal meta 650b with about 4000 km now on second ex1 chain and rear cassette now on a hope pro4 wheeler with the steel hope hg driver. My mechanic buddy made the wheelset for a levo guy who wanted to try 27.5 plus . Just checked chain and it's at .5. kept the original ex1 and am wondering if I got new small cogs I could additionally prolong both cassettes. The original spank oozi tended to loosen up at the locking. This seems still tight.i forgot to bring my bike stand for an extended stay near Sedona so not taking anything apart to assess loosening. But works pretty Damm well. I'm always temped to try something else but probably will stick with ex1 until they discontinue the ex1 which seeing nobody specs it on new bikes anymore , I expect ex1 death immenently.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ex1 is a massive waste of money and swapping expensive "Ebike specific" chains and messing about trying to keep it running by part replacing cassette sprockets is an even bigger waste of time and money.

If you've read the thread. and are capable of simple arithmetic you should now know what the smart option is.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
High Rock Ruti

I'm lucky to get 750 miles out of cassettes, chains half that, it could be that having a motor that puts out 2/3 of a horsepower, riding in dirt, dust and rocks reduces the life of metal parts.....yeah think? I always buy the cheapest drive parts that work, I typically break a derailleur every six months, don't forget send the derailleur's back to Shimano I've gotten 4 so far they're warrantied for two year's, don't ask your shop send it to Shimano directly.

Warm Regards Ruti
My own experience is about the same.as yours. I have lots of clay and I ride in it even wet.

I found a open box Connex-11Se chain on ebay or Amazon without the master-link for $40 so I bought it. The Connex 11 speed chain actually seems to have lasted as long as the cassette and beyond. Though at this point the two are inseparable, with neither one excepting any other running mate.

My guess is I have 600 miles or so..these have been installed since May (thereabouts) and that's a pretty long time for a chain to last for me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This subject comes up all the time here so shouldn't be difficult to find using the search function.
If you really think this is the definitive thread on the subject you could just bookmark it in your browser or "watch" the thread.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Gary, your trollness is overflowing.

Maybe a sticky would help out the newbs too, or do you just want a chance to exercise your keyboard ninja skills frequently?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Once it is lunderstood that shimano MTB 10 through 12 speed derailleurs, work with shimano MTB 10 speed shifters, 10 speeds becomes fairly simple.
They don't!
10 speed shimano mechs and shifters have a diffferent cable pull ratio to shimano 11 and 12 speed

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Gary, your trollness is overflowing.

Maybe a sticky would help out the newbs too, or do you just want a chance to exercise your keyboard ninja skills frequently?

Every forum has the victim / jester / well , actually guy roles available .
Gary is just playing his role .

I`ll leave it up to you to work out who plays what roles in this soapy . lol .

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Ex1 is a massive waste of money and swapping expensive "Ebike specific" chains and messing about trying to keep it running by part replacing cassette sprockets is an even bigger waste of time and money.

If you've read the thread. and are capable of simple arithmetic you should now know what the smart option is.
High Rock Ruti

I echo that experience with ex 1, chain lasted really well the 7 derailleur's I had to replace not at all, you'll notice for brief time new bikes were coming with ex 1, now I have seen only one in last year. Same failure everytime, the upper cage wheel strips the fastener out of the cage arm, too much torque too little metal in the arm structure, wrose yet Sram replaced only 2 of the 7. Really try to buy bikes with Shimano I'm 4 for 4 with Shimano. I'll repeat myself send it directly to Shimano ignore all other advice, takes a few weeks, I buy a new part and have a spare when the replacement comes in.

Warm Regards Ruti

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've heard you say this before, but to be honest, one of the best setups I use is an 11 speed derailleur (xt medium cage) with 10 speed (xt) shifter and cassette. Go figure.

Screenshot_20201123-073500_Chrome.jpg

20201123_074024.jpg

Screenshot_20201123-074457_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles