I created a purely mechanical Turbo Levo speed limit increase

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Will the Levo Expert LSS be available in black anytime soon...? I would guess the white would get real ugly real quick....

Lev

Hi @Levon ,

All the LSS components can be ordered in either white or black. In the link below look for the color drop down box near the buy button and select either white or black:

LSS DT - Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Levon

Feb 16, 2019
N CALIFORNIA
Help! Well, I attempted to order from Shapeways but it won't let me place the black LSS DT into cart

Is there some trick? I registered with them, but that didn't help. Website seems klunky....but I'm no IT guy....

What To Do...????

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Help! Well, I attempted to order from Shapeways but it won't let me place the black LSS DT into cart

Is there some trick? I registered with them, but that didn't help. Website seems klunky....but I'm no IT guy....

What To Do...????

Hmm, seems to be working fine for me (on Android). Are you on an phone or computer? What web browser? Ad-blocker? Is the option greyed out? What country are you from (maybe it's a regional thing). If you can try Chrome browser that would be your best bet.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Someone PMed me and asked about lubricating the LSS to decrease wear. I thought it would be good to post that info here in case anyone else is wondering.

I've read conflicting info on the benefits of lubricating plastic gears (especially nylon). Some people say that lubricating plastic gears can attract dust/dirt and over time create a rough paste that will actually accelerate wear. Also, some types of lubricant can damage plastic over time (and cause swelling of the plastic) so if you do go down this route, make sure to use a nylon/plastic safe lube (perhaps some silicone lubricant). I have not lubricated my LSS and everything is still running good after 500 miles.

Another idea I've heard about is using graphite powder to lubricate plastic gears. The benefit here is since it is dry it will not attract dust. That would probably be the best way to go, but also keeping it fully dry is fine too. Happy to hear from any of you who have experimented with this or have experience in this area.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
So I purchased your low profile gear to use with my Hope discs and finally I got it all fit and working great. Also the cover I 3d printed now fits without rubbing on the chain stay and is fully enclosing the whole system.
I had to sand the Sun and planetary gear down to stop rubbing on the cover.
Also the sun gear on mine was not tight at all in the hub so I used copper tape to increase the thickness of the hub shaft for the sun gear ti fit in there tight.

Now I need to find a way to hold the ring gear on the rotor. I just don't like the idea of drilling my rotor to fix it on with screws. Maybe your next design should be a clip designed to hold the main gear on Hope rotors :p

Great work. Many thanks :)

F4DEE265-F91E-4ED3-86E2-A4A98967A9C7.jpeg
200FE875-6557-4916-BD86-105A4B840B35.jpeg
EE53863F-39C5-41EE-A84B-1DEFE689CEB4.jpeg

Last edited:

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
So I purchased your low profile gear to use with my Hope discs and finally I got it all fit and working great. Also the cover I 3d printed now fits without rubbing on the chain stay and is fully enclosing the whole system.
I had to sand the Sun and planetary gear down to stop rubbing on the cover.
Also the sun gear on mine was not tight at all in the hub so I used copper tape to increase the thickness of the hub shaft for the sun gear ti fit in there tight.

Now I need to find a way to hold the ring gear on the rotor. I just don't like the idea of drilling my rotor to fix it on with screws. Maybe your next design should be a clip designed to hold the main gear on Hope rotors :p

Great work. Many thanks :)

Nice setup @pgtips! Regarding a clip to hold the ring gear on the Hope rotor, I wonder if making a 'universal fit' clip would be a reasonable idea? Basically just a doughnut shape (annular ring) that has a bunch of holes in it all the way around and you could use small zip ties or wire to loop in through a hole and onto the rotor arms. Let me know if you like that idea and I can make it.

oldfox

Jul 5, 2018
FRG
[...] Regarding a clip to hold the ring gear on the Hope rotor, I wonder if making a 'universal fit' clip would be a reasonable idea? Basically just a doughnut shape (annular ring) that has a bunch of holes in it all the way around and you could use small zip ties or wire to loop in through a hole and onto the rotor arms. Let me know if you like that idea and I can make it.

I like this idea!

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Nice setup @pgtips! Regarding a clip to hold the ring gear on the Hope rotor, I wonder if making a 'universal fit' clip would be a reasonable idea? Basically just a doughnut shape (annular ring) that has a bunch of holes in it all the way around and you could use small zip ties or wire to loop in through a hole and onto the rotor arms. Let me know if you like that idea and I can make it.
That sound great (y)

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
nice work. wont work on my centerlock rotors.

also the thought of having all those tiny moving parts gives me the heebie jeebies.

but I commend you on executing the product as you imagined it, going through the prototyping process and finalizing a working unit.

And the reason I made the cover. There is no way anything will get in there to damage the gears.
I also carry the original magnet and screws in a small bag in my back pack in case something fail's. 5 minutes to put it back to stock so not a big issue (y)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
@pgtips and @oldfox, just finished designing the universal brake rotor mount for use on aftermarket rotors. It has 25 holes around the perimeter to give you a good chance of it lining up well with the brake rotor arms / features. If anyone orders this I would be very grateful if you could share pictures of the final install for others to use as a reference.

Here is the product on Shapeways:

Universal Brake Rotor Mount for LSS by JD_3D on Shapeways

Universal_Mount.png

Sameroquay

Apr 7, 2019
08800, Vilanova i la Geltrú
Hi, congratulations for the job well done.

I would like to know if I can use this piece with my Ebike, model:

SPECIALIZED TURBO LEVO FSR COMP CARBON 6FATTIE 27.5 PLUS 2018

Spe.JPG

photo_2019-04-07_10-59-11.jpg

photo_2019-04-07_10-59-14.jpg

photo_2019-04-07_10-59-00.jpg

photo_2019-04-07_10-59-03.jpg

Should I buy this piece?

LSS Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

I have doubts because in the description it says:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
LSS Planetary Gear Set will fit:
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Carbon

My Turbo Levo is 2018, and I do not know if it will work with my model.
How long does it take to deliver once you have paid?

I await your news.
Thank you.

tomiki

Mar 10, 2019
spain
mate in that disc fits perfectly, it is the same brake disc as the 2019 levo.
you can buy it without problem.

compañero en ese disco entra perfectamente, es el mismo disco de freno que la levo 2019.
puedes comprarlo sin problema

photo_2019-04-07_12-08-07.jpg

photo_2019-04-07_12-08-10.jpg

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Hi, congratulations for the job well done.

I would like to know if I can use this piece with my Ebike, model:

SPECIALIZED TURBO LEVO FSR COMP CARBON 6FATTIE 27.5 PLUS 2018

Should I buy this piece?

LSS Planetary Gear Set by JD_3D on Shapeways

I have doubts because in the description it says:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
LSS Planetary Gear Set will fit:
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo Comp Carbon

My Turbo Levo is 2018, and I do not know if it will work with my model.
How long does it take to deliver once you have paid?

I await your news.
Thank you.

Hi @Sameroquay, nice bike! To answer your questions, no one I'm aware of has used the LSS on the 2018 Levo's, however, it is possible it may fit. The brake rotor looks identical so that should be fine. The only unknowns are as follows:

1) The magnet location is slightly different (a little bit further out by a few mm).
2) Not sure about the wheel hub size on 2018 vs 2019
3) Possible frame clearance issues

I don't know of anyone near me with a 2018 to test it. Do you know of anyone who has an LSS that you could test-fit on your bike? Or you could try to order one if you are willing to take a risk and hope it fits :)

Cheers,

JD

Sameroquay

Apr 7, 2019
Hi @Sameroquay, nice bike! To answer your questions, no one I'm aware of has used the LSS on the 2018 Levo's, however, it is possible it may fit. The brake rotor looks identical so that should be fine. The only unknowns are as follows:

1) The magnet location is slightly different (a little bit further out by a few mm).
2) Not sure about the wheel hub size on 2018 vs 2019
3) Possible frame clearance issues

I don't know of anyone near me with a 2018 to test it. Do you know of anyone who has an LSS that you could test-fit on your bike? Or you could try to order one if you are willing to take a risk and hope it fits :)

Cheers,

JD

Good afternoon Master, well no, I do not know anyone nearby to prove their invention ..

I believe that I will take the risk, I will ask for it and I will see the results ..

Thanks for your kind reply.

A greeting.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Good afternoon Master, well no, I do not know anyone nearby to prove their invention ..

I believe that I will take the risk, I will ask for it and I will see the results ..

Thanks for your kind reply.

A greeting.
at the risk of doing our resident inventor out of a sale you do realise your bike is very easy to de restrict using software right?

Sameroquay

Apr 7, 2019
[QUOTE = "ccrdave, post: 65602, miembro: 13"] a riesgo de que nuestro inventor residente salga de una venta, se da cuenta de que su bicicleta es muy fácil de restringir el uso de software, ¿verdad? [/ QUOTE]

¿Cómo? con Blevo? ... pero entonces pierdes la garantía ..

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Blevo or any of the other apps that can do the job.
If you need a warranty repair just reset using mission control before you take it to your LBS

Sameroquay

Apr 7, 2019
[QUOTE = "ccrdave, post: 65693, member: 13"] Blevo o cualquiera de las otras aplicaciones que pueden hacer el trabajo.
Si necesita una reparación con garantía, solo reinicie usando el control de la misión antes de llevarlo a su LBS [/ QUOTE]

But then why do people buy this piece?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I've had a few people with 2018 Levos message me about using the LSS since they were concerned about using BLEvo to circumvent the speed limit in software as it is possible it could be detected (even after being reset). I'm not up-to-date on the latest, but I thought I read somewhere if Specialized really wanted to they could check if the wheel circumference had ever been changed outside the normal bounds. Maybe @ccrdave has better knowledge on the 2018s/BLEvo and can comment?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Im pretty certain the bike does not store any data history and even if it did the fact that the firmware acsess is open anybody standing by could hack it without the owners knowledge. Its the very reason why 2019 bikes need a pass key.
I heard one story about a dealer balancing number of charges against distance logged but even if that is even remotely true it could be done if the bike is hacked mechanically as well. Doing a reset with mission control erases every thing except number of battery charges and total distance travelled and in 2017/18 bikes i doubt even that information is accurate as. You are legally able to set different wheel circumference within reason. howevet i have no certain proof that any of the above is accurate its just my experience from owning two 2017 bikes two 2018 bike a kenevo and now two 2019 bikes

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I’m suspicious that the new MC is able to communicate with specialized servers when you use it together with your Levo no matter what year. Basically it can report all your local settings including serial numbers etc. that is based on what you can read about the new MC in the long text with very small letters and previous statements from Specialized here.

I have not even installed the new MC....

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles