How to carry a spare Specialized battery???

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Hey guys - the one glaring limitation of the Specialized series of bikes . . . is the length of the battery.

Perhaps, if I can find the right backpack, it will be possible.

I thought I'd start this thread so we can post our ideas and experiences with carrying a second battery.

I found this lovely looking pack from EVOC, but it doesn't list it as being able to carry the Levo battery :

1526291905678.png

BIKE 2018 // FR TRAIL E-RIDE: EVOC LAUNCHES 1ST PROTECTOR BACKPACK SPECIFICALLY FOR E-MOUNTAIN BIKERS - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS

Last edited:

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I use an Evoc bag with the back protector.

I don't use a bladder; I found it too heavy with both.

I put a jacket either side, which stops the battery moving around.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Turbo Levo: Range Extender, externer Zusatzakku, Zweitakku

Read the info about the bag; ignore the range extender, we know that works!

Turbo Levo: Range Extender, external auxiliary battery, second battery
Rider_Care.JPG

Viktor
March 19, 2018 22:33
consequences
Range extender / external auxiliary battery
Levo batteries are not compatible with any range extender or external auxiliary battery.
Transport the secondary battery
Every now and then we are asked if you can or should transport a second battery in your backpack and which battery dimensions are to be overlooked.
A levo battery is about 55cm long. This length must be able to be stored in a backpack.
The question then is whether the battery is a hindrance due to the length, if he is on his back (eg conflict with helmet). Therefore, he must not sit too high, would have to be diagonally in the backpack.
A specific recommendation we can not give due to lack of experience or feedback.
It is best to ask your dealer for tips and test backpacks with your battery (on the bike, with a helmet, etc.)
Whether carrying a battery is comfortable or safe depends on the backpack construction. The battery weighs about 3.3 kg. In the event of a fall, the battery can also pose a risk of injury - an integrated back protector is therefore a must.
tip
If you drive to a hut on a tour, you can use the on-site charging facility. The Levo charger is compact and relatively lightweight, so it can be carried well in a backpack or a Burra Burra bag . In 1 hour you can recharge about 30% into a 504 Wh battery.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I use an Evoc bag with the back protector.

I don't use a bladder; I found it too heavy with both.

I put a jacket either side, which stops the battery moving around.
This is what I wanted to hear! So you can actually fit one in there ... Good news!

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Hi Tory, I have two 504 battery's , but have never carried a spare as yet. I think I could get 80k from one charge with no problem. & think I could extent that distance by, setting eco % to almost zero taking out % of engine ( like total of engine is 100% as they come ) & only using motor for hill's.
I almost went on an 80k ride with a fast group today & was thinking of taking my second battery as lot of big hill's. but my friend has a 2017 HT levo that can not get same distance as me and limited to 55k so would not go.
make sure you use the plug cover so power could not earth on something , or get damaged in back pack, as the magnets would attract anything metal, so that plug cover important.
what distance where you planing? if it was 80k and an over night stop I would just pack the charger ( that is heavy too. good topic!!
there must be a market for a padded ( high density ) battery cover with straps to carry somewhere on the bike.

J dog

Feb 16, 2018
Essex
Surely something for Specialized to consider, two half batteries that could be used on their own or could be plugged together

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Surely something for Specialized to consider, two half batteries that could be used on their own or could be plugged together
J dog, I thought about that, but I would rather, 504, my first bike had the battery with 400?? and I ran that out of power a number of times. but to date the 504 has always had power left. longest ride with it was 65km with hill's. I would be confident I could go 80km on one full 504. thats myself ( we would all be different.
only time I would carry the spare I have is plus 80km you can ride fine with no power & carrying the battery in frame. I tried that & have no dobt I could ride 20km after riding 80km with assistance. ( just what I have noted personally )

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I leave my spare in my car and ride one way then back to the car switch and ride the other way. I don’t think I’d want two batteries on my bike at one time they are really heavy. Also I wouldn’t want to crash with one in my backpack it is really hard and heavy and would do nasty things to a spine. Just my thoughts.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Several manufacturers have specific hydration packs in their range. All come with back protectors
Ideally suited to bosch size battery with a padded compartment
With a bit of tweaking some of the longer ones would work
The spesh battery is 535mm long
The Amplifi one below is 56cm long RRP 200euro
AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack10-810x540.jpg
AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack9-810x540.jpg
AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack2-810x540.jpg

Evoc do one for 180 euro
Not sure about the lenght though

100114209-FR-TRAIL-E-RIDE.jpg
100114209-FR-TRAIL-E-RIDE-dt9.jpg
100114209-FR-TRAIL-E-RIDE-dt3.jpg

Ive just ordered this one from XLC
rrp of 150 euro found it for 89 GBP including back protector and postage
59cm long so should work
I'll post a review when it turns up

XLC-EBIKE-RUCKSACK-BAG-2501760914-FRONT.jpg
XLC-EBIKE-RUCKSACK-BAG-2501760914-BOSCH-BATTERY.jpg
XLC-EBIKE-RUCKSACK-BAG-2501760914.jpg

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Several manufacturers have specific hydration packs in their range. All come with back protectors
Ideally suited to bosch size battery with a padded compartment
With a bit of tweaking some of the longer ones would work
The spesh battery is 535mm long
The Amplifi one below is 56cm long RRP 200euro
View attachment 1562 View attachment 1563 View attachment 1564

Evoc do one for 180 euro
Not sure about the lenght though

View attachment 1565 View attachment 1566 View attachment 1567
59cm long so should work

View attachment 1568 View attachment 1569 View attachment 1570
Excellent initiative, can't wait for your experiences. Fingers crossed it works out for you.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Hey guys - the one glaring limitation of the Specialized series of bikes . . . is the length of the battery.

Perhaps, if I can find the right backpack, it will be possible.

I thought I'd start this thread so we can post our ideas and experiences with carrying a second battery.

I found this lovely looking pack from EVOC, but it doesn't list it as being able to carry the Levo battery :

View attachment 1462

BIKE 2018 // FR TRAIL E-RIDE: EVOC LAUNCHES 1ST PROTECTOR BACKPACK SPECIFICALLY FOR E-MOUNTAIN BIKERS - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS
I got a reply from EVOC today. Apparently the Specialized battery won't fit in this bag:
Screenshot_20180523-200611.png

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Magazine | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine have a review of battery backpacks. You need to install an app to read them though.
Thanks for the heads up. I just read the article, it was quite helpful. I know the official response from EVOC was that the Levo battery wouldn't fit in their bag . . . but the E-MTB Magazine review indicates it in fact does, just that the back protector isn't quite long enough. I have a bunch of back-protectors here from various moto jackets etc, and I could possibly transplant one into the EVOC.

Another interesting article was the best EMTB for 4500 Euros . . . my partner was gratified when she saw that her choice of the Merida E160 800 was top of the list.

SteveF

May 27, 2018
new zealand
Hi Tori
E mountain bike magazine, issue 13, have done a review of eMTB specific backpacks. The one that will take a long Levo battery is the Amplifi - E track 23. 200 euros on Aamazon. but its a seriously good bag by the review.

Otherwise you can do what I did 4 years ago for my early BH neo jumper, also long batteries, I took a Deuter backpack, with the aluminium sprung back frame, to a boat and car upholsterer and had him make a compartment from vinyl that attached inside the pack. It clipped on securely and he stitched in buckles to make the bag easy to install and remove. Used it everywhere and it was brilliant.

Best
Steve

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
I have bought myself the amplifi.
Battery compartment is bit to wide but works good.
Not much space left at the top, zipper can be closed without problem.
It’s a big backpack!
I use it for the longer day trips.
With the spare battery and extra hydration heavy, the comfort is still good, plenty of adjustments available.
Grtzzz

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I have bought myself the amplifi.
Battery compartment is bit to wide but works good.
Not much space left at the top, zipper can be closed without problem.
It’s a big backpack!
I use it for the longer day trips.
With the spare battery and extra hydration heavy, the comfort is still good, plenty of adjustments available.
Grtzzz
Awesome - good to hear you've found a solution :)

Tzeveryn

Dec 15, 2018
Penang, Malaysia
59cm long so should work

Hi Stur :) Have you gotten the XLC yet? And if you have, how is it for carrying an extra battery? Do let us know yeah..cheers mate.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hi Stur :) Have you gotten the XLC yet? And if you have, how is it for carrying an extra battery? Do let us know yeah..cheers mate.
Didn't get it in the end. Supplier let me down twice . Eventually gave me my money back
Bought an Amplifi E23 instead
Bit pricey at €200 but it is top quality
Inc back protector but no hydration kit
Easily accommodates a Spesh 17/18 battery

AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack10-810x540.jpg

AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack2-810x540.jpg

AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack9-810x540.jpg

AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack1-810x540.jpg

AMPLIFI-E-Track-der-erste-E-MTB-Rucksack6-810x540.jpg

Tzeveryn

Dec 15, 2018
Penang, Malaysia

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles