Hi guys, any of you upgrade the front chain ring from 32 to 36 teeth ? If so what will work with the Levo ? Thanks

AZ-Levo

Sep 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
B811E306-B559-4147-96EC-4EA051699473.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's unlikely that unless you turn the motor off for climbing a lot, you'd ever need a 50t on the rear - with a 32, 34 or even 36. Though, possibly if you're over 150kg's.

You have a motor... it helps ..

I found that going from the 32 to 36 just gave me a wider spread of gears to actually use. Otherwise I was using mainly the smaller cogs. The best way to work out if this would be good for you is to go for a normal day's riding with your 32 and keep an eye on which gears you use on the rear . If you never use the low gears (big cogs), then changing upto 34 or 36 would mean you'll end up being able to use more of your gears more efficiently. Also as @AZ-Levo levo says, you might find yourself in the highest gear quite often wanting a higher gear for more speed. The 34 or 36 will give you this.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
You don't need a longer chain. In fact if you don't do it, you need to shorten your chain.

It impacts climbs. You won't be able to climb the steepest hills unless you have a motor to help, but it climbs fine with assist.

Upside is you can pedal better above 20mph.

You can still use the chainguide as designed if you get my adaptor from matter-replicator.com

AZ-Levo

Sep 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
You don't need a longer chain. In fact if you don't do it, you need to shorten your chain.

It impacts climbs. You won't be able to climb the steepest hills unless you have a motor to help, but it climbs fine with assist.

Upside is you can pedal better above 20mph.

You can still use the chainguide as designed if you get my adaptor from matter-replicator.com
sweeeeet! I just ordered one : )

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
My Giant manual bike has a 24 and a 38 chain ring, and 34 teeth on the back. My Turbo Levo is also 38 now, but has 42 on the back + a motor. I have climbed stuff so steep I was scared of flipping over with 38T chainring.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Brilliant mod I just did, to be fair it needed it after dropping from 2.8 to 2.6 tyres, which reduced the wheel circumference. I am trying a renthal alu 36. I’m (slightly optimistically) hoping it will be rugged enough.
chain guide fits as designed with a very fine shim to centre the device on the ring. Drivetrain is noticeably quieter with the alu ring. Gearing is much better to me. Using a greater spread of available ratios. New cassette and chain fitted at same time, ouch!

AZ-Levo

Sep 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
Brilliant mod I just did, to be fair it needed it after dropping from 2.8 to 2.6 tyres, which reduced the wheel circumference. I am trying a renthal alu 36. I’m (slightly optimistically) hoping it will be rugged enough.
chain guide fits as designed with a very fine shim to centre the device on the ring. Drivetrain is noticeably quieter with the alu ring. Gearing is much better to me. Using a greater spread of available ratios. New cassette and chain fitted at same time, ouch!
5820D780-163A-4603-9A44-C15C35BFB9C8.jpeg

Just installed and it’s amazing! Huge difference. I am waiting for the new chain guide and it will be good to go.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Not sure but I think I would
does going to a 36 bring the chain below the level of the BB? currently on the stock 32, it sits within the protection of the BB/motor cover

My 38 is a few mm lower than the motor cover, but I think I would rather have my chain hit a log than my bike frame.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Not sure but I think I would

My 38 is a few mm lower than the motor cover, but I think I would rather have my chain hit a log than my bike frame.

The motor mount cover is disposable part, i rather not have a hard hit transmit the shock tru the crank to the motor

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I have wanted to install a bigger ring from the first day riding my 2016 Levo. Praxis will soon release thier steel "eRing" products for ebikes. Steel, same thickness and offset as OEM and only USD$25.

Question: Is it difficult to get the crank arm off? Do you need a puller or are they self-extracting?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Question: Is it difficult to get the crank arm off? Do you need a puller or are they self-extracting?

They're self extracting. Both are anti-clockwise to remove. Both are VERY TIGHT !

When re-installing. Go for a short ride and re-check. The left one often loosens itself as you pedal.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
There‘s no need to take off the crank or even pedal to change the chainring.
Loosen the 4 screws of the chainring and pull it over the spider, the crank and the pedal. Pull the new ring over the spider in the same way and fix the 4 screws. Done.
(I did it that way with a new 30 T chainring)

AZ-Levo

Sep 30, 2019
Queen Creek, AZ
I have wanted to install a bigger ring from the first day riding my 2016 Levo. Praxis will soon release thier steel "eRing" products for ebikes. Steel, same thickness and offset as OEM and only USD$25.

My 2020 was self extracting. It’s wasn’t hard at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles