What size chain ring ?

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
After now about 450 miles on my 2019 , I find my most used cadence means I cycle at just about the cut out / on off in eco all the time on mainly the two smallest cogs on the rear
To give a more even use of the rear gearing what size front should I change to when upgrading ( if any ) ?
Thanks

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
If you're sitting on 25 km/h most of the time, it doesn't matter what size chain-ring; because most riding is at the same fixed speed, you will spend most of your time at that speed and be using the same gear (or same 2 gears).

If you own a comp carbon or lower spec model, the rear cassette is a Shimano compatible one. In this case the smallest cog (11T) is replaceable. Although it's probably not much cheaper than just replacing the whole cassette.

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
I have a 36T on my 2018 and I like it. I have the 11T smallest on the cassette and it takes me up to about 27mph before I spin out. I'm running a Raceface but there are lots of cheaper options on ebay.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you put a larger chain ring on, then you will use different and larger gears on the cassette. But you will still use one or maybe two gears on the cassette, just different ones to what you use now. You will lose climbing ability though, if that matters to you.

I don't ride a Speccy, so I don't know your exact set up. But cassette gears typically change by an average 15% each time, so if you want to use two different cassette gears, then you will need to change the size of the front ring by more than 30%. Ie if you currently have a 34T ring, you will need to fit a 44T

More accurately, look at the size of the 3rd smallest gear and divide it by the size of the smallest gear. Whatever that % is, that is how much bigger the ring needs to be to shift the chain up so that you mostly miss the current two smallest gears on the cassette.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I have a 34t now. Whereas before I was in last gear all the time, I now have a much straighter chain line in about 8/9th but can still climb the stupid crazy hills. Glad I didn't go 36t
708995332.jpeg

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Quite happy with my stock 32 chainring, I'm able to push 50-55 km/h on straights and I'm on the edge of my ability to climb the steepest hills I have at local trails. I wouldn't consider a swap to a bigger front ring unless I go 11-46 on the rear.

Last edited:

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
I've put a 36t. For commuting, derestricted.
It keeps me one sprocket bigger in the rear and hope to get a higher mileage out of it.
For our trip to Scotland it will be the original 32t .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles