Going Commando .. (Body armour Question)

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
ive tried a skinz cool compression top and it works for a while but then seems to make things worse.. that was on MX bikes though.
You're right, at a certain level of sweatiness, they can get minging. They wick, but they're so thin you're relying on a decent rate of evaporation happening where the armour is vented. I think the compression tops make the armour much easier to slide on and off, so - if I reach "minging point" - I stop, pull off the armour off and gently off-gas while sat on a downed tree contemplating the universe for a few minutes.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
You're right, at a certain level of sweatiness, they can get minging. They wick, but they're so thin you're relying on a decent rate of evaporation happening where the armour is vented. I think the compression tops make the armour much easier to slide on and off, so - if I reach "minging point" - I stop, pull off the armour off and gently off-gas while sat on a downed tree contemplating the universe for a few minutes.
Not sure how these work or if they work - “As your body emits energy, mineral-infused fabric absorbs & refelects it back, increasing endurance”. Riding electro MX on soft loose and sandy trails behind the beach here and I’m emitting a shipload of energy that’s for sure. Constant instant twitch corrections to prevent faceplants is seriously hard work.

81F82A74-A9AF-4D1B-9AE9-E4EA8292BE69.jpeg
50F9966C-F8BD-4710-859C-1237934BB7F1.jpeg

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Not sure how these work or if they work - “As your body emits energy, mineral-infused fabric absorbs & refelects it back, increasing endurance”.

I did research compression stuff before first buying. I can't remember the details now, but there seemed to be a consensus that they can help, but less consensus as to how. I do recall something about how surface compression can help the underlying muscles regulate their temperature.

However that "absorbs & reflects" energy stuff is surely marketing guff. What energy do you 'emit' other than heat? By that logic, wearing a woolly jumper will make you a world-beater.

And does it absorb or reflect? It's surely one or the other. You can absorb energy, retain then release, but that's not reflecting.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
However that "absorbs & reflects" energy stuff is surely marketing guff. What energy do you 'emit' other than heat? By that logic, wearing a woolly jumper will make you a world-beater.

And does it absorb or reflect? It's surely one or the other. You can absorb energy, retain then release, but that's not reflecting.
Yes what I was alluding to. I wear the Troy Lee commando style which definitely chafes as Zim discovered. Also Demon United Flex Force X2 Sas-tec for serious rides. I just wear any old t-shirt underneath but will try a regular compression shirt.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I wear mine purely because it puts a layer between the back protector and my skin, which adds comfort - the only way to get better breathability is to go with a well vented protector, and have a well ventelated top on top of it - I tend to wear fox ranger jerseys in the summer which are very lightweight and mesh like in construction, allows the heat to dissipate and air to get through - makes a big massive difference vs wearing a heavier duty top.

Personally no matter what I tend to wear as lightweight a top as possible whether or not I am wearing the back protector, and just adjust my base layer accordingly.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I wear mine purely because it puts a layer between the back protector and my skin, which adds comfort - the only way to get better breathability is to go with a well vented protector, and have a well ventelated top on top of it - I tend to wear fox ranger jerseys in the summer which are very lightweight and mesh like in construction, allows the heat to dissipate and air to get through - makes a big massive difference vs wearing a heavier duty top.

Personally no matter what I tend to wear as lightweight a top as possible whether or not I am wearing the back protector, and just adjust my base layer accordingly.
That sounds pretty good and makes a lot of sense. Of course winter night rides are great if you got some serious protection. I like these but wow pricey.
Forte 2.0.jpg

Made entirely of Armalith®* –
Protective properties very close to natural leather suits
Advanced knee SAFE-TECH® and hip SAS-TEC® protectors
Ultra-resistant to abrasion, tearing, cutting and UV rays
UHMWPE Technology integrated into a genuine denim core
Don’t require any special dry cleaning
Fully breathable
*) ARMALITH® is made by assembling cotton fibre with UHMWPE fibre, until now only used in space, military and offshore applications. This exclusive technology produces a genuine denim with a core framework that gives it the mechanical qualities of leather.

Motorcycle jeans FORTE 2.0 - Armalith® Motto Wear

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal
I’m new to mtb and shopping for armor. I’m from California so it gets pretty warm during summer. Given I ride motorcycles I’m familiar with Dainese and Alpinestars brand.
I’m looking at this as it doesn’t look to bulky and it’s on sale! I’m concern it might be too warm. Anyone has any recommendation?

RHYOLITE 2 SAFETY JACKET LITE

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m new to mtb and shopping for armor. I’m from California so it gets pretty warm during summer. Given I ride motorcycles I’m familiar with Dainese and Alpinestars brand.
I’m looking at this as it doesn’t look to bulky and it’s on sale! I’m concern it might be too warm. Anyone has any recommendation?

RHYOLITE 2 SAFETY JACKET LITE

Can't find much ion the "lite" version ..

Mixed reviews through amazon (you have to click translate to english as they're global)

Better reviews at chain reaction, but the first review does say "A bit hot" ..

I think when I was looking, it got crossed off the list, but I was looking for pretty extensive protection and I think it lacked kidney armour.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Some form of what the surfers call a rash guard is probably right down your alley for this...

But then again that's what Mountainbikers call compression tops it seems and you tried it already so... I normally use a something like a skinz top under mine unless its up around 30 C or more, then it's Hot Commando

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
So it's warming up .. (if you're in the northern hemisphere ..)...

I normally wear a light weight top under my body armour, my theory being to absorb some sweat and reduce abrasions from the body armour.

I'm now wondering if I'll actually sweat more because of the extra layer, so it's actually pointless ! The body armour is probably not abrasive either (TLD 7855)..

What does everyone else do .. And yes, the armour is as vital to safe riding for me as brakes, wheels, chain ..

High Rock Ruti

I look so ridiculous that I've been nick named Michelan Man. I used to use a POC mesh jacket anything above 85 degrees was dizzying. I wear a short sleeve synthetic sports shirt that's soaked when finished. I have crashed so many times landing on elbows, shoulders, back and even chest once. It's full road race armor. Every time no injuries and most surprisingly no pain. I use a Fox Rampage pro carbon helmet, had to buy XL it's really tight, but the chin bar can't be pushed back to contact the chin really comfortable we'll see how hot when it gets warm. I never notice the armor once I'm riding, but I sure notice it when I crash.

Forcefield-EX-K-Hardness-Adventure-EX-K-Harn-Adv-F_ml.jpg

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
G-form elbow, knee and body/shoulder protection for me. Light as f uck and does the job (yes I've crashed a few times).

I wanted to be able to ride with just G-form...

The G-form knee pads slid down in a crash so my knee was skinned like I wasn’t wearing anything.

The shirt doesn’t offer enough rib protection, got bruised ribs while wearing it since it doesn’t cover my ribs enough.

I’m still wearing the G-form shorts though...

I rely on TLD tops to protect ribs...I almost always wear one over a jersey...

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I wanted to be able to ride with just G-form...

The G-form knee pads slid down in a crash so my knee was skinned like I wasn’t wearing anything.

The shirt doesn’t offer enough rib protection, got bruised ribs while wearing it since it doesn’t cover my ribs enough.

I’m still wearing the G-form shorts though...

I rely on TLD tops to protect ribs...I almost always wear one over a jersey...

High Rock Ruti

My hard shell upper body (road racing) armor does not prevent broken ribs either. I'm only guessing but when you land with enough force directly on your ribs all the armor does is transfers the force to your ribs, happened during a recent crash, I can speculate that I would have been injured worse without the armor, but who knows. Oddly with the four broken ribs from three crashes, they never presented pain or prevented riding, but sleeping, coughing, laughing really painful. The only medication that worked to stop the muscles from contracting (splinting) causing incredibly pain is Flexeril, never got any relief from Percocet.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
High Rock Ruti

My hard shell upper body (road racing) armor does not prevent broken ribs either. I'm only guessing but when you land with enough force directly on your ribs all the armor does is transfers the force to your ribs, happened during a recent crash, I can speculate that I would have been injured worse without the armor, but who knows. Oddly with the four broken ribs from three crashes, they never presented pain or prevented riding, but sleeping, coughing, laughing really painful. The only medication that worked to stop the muscles from contracting (splinting) causing incredibly pain is Flexeril, never got any relief from Percocet.
Ouch man sorry to hear. You're obviously right if you land badly in a sea of cushions, you still land badly however SAS-TEC or d3O plates properly fitted out decreases the risk of breaks & fractures by massively reducing shock forces on impact. Definitely worth it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My hard shell upper body (road racing) armor does not prevent broken ribs either. I'm only guessing but when you land with enough force directly on your ribs all the armor does is transfers the force to your ribs,

I think all the armours are compromises one way or another. Hard shell will protect more from pressure point impact and spread the load, but won't do anything to actually reduce the total amount of energy being passed through. A "squidgy" :) armour won't spread impact as well, but will absorb/reduce more impact energy. You can get exo-skeletons which will completely prevent crush type impact, but they're a bit bulky.

Something like the Tory Lee 7855 for instance uses dual density foam type pads, the outer pad is far more rigid, the inner part, softer (I'm only using this as an example). I had a pair of armoured motorcycle jeans using similar armour year ago and walked away from a 240kph head on motorcycle crash with only a broken toe... that was an expensive day .... Oh to have been less of an idiot when younger :)

Having now pretty thoroughly tested hard shell (fox) and "squidgy" troy lee ... I find they both work incredibly well, but if you're unfortunate to have a fall in a particular direction - they don't make you immortal. With the fox last year I had three really nasty rock falls on the same ride :) Every part of my body which wasn't armoured was bruised, even inner thighs. My kidneys were bruised, but I had slammed backwards into a sharp edged rock at high speed so you have to expect something.

I try not to take pain killers as I think I have a pretty low pain threshold (I'm a pussy) so I'd be taking them all the time. I take ibuprofen in small amounts to help reduce inflamation to help with healing and now mainly resort to Pharma Arnica Ice, applied in tiny amounts externally. This got me through my latest fractured ribs, and was the only way I could sleep last year with the fractured pelvis. (this is for horses, so you only need a pee sized blob to treat most human problems so 1 litre will last you a lifetime even if you're as accident prone as me).

I found front fractured ribs (bike last year) didn't inhibit me anywhere near as much rear fractured ribs (horse kick 2 months ago - landed about 6 meters away ...) even cycling was totally off the cards, that was agony.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I think all the armours are compromises one way or another. Hard shell will protect more from pressure point impact and spread the load, but won't do anything to actually reduce the total amount of energy being passed through. A "squidgy" :) armour won't spread impact as well, but will absorb/reduce more impact energy. You can get exo-skeletons which will completely prevent crush type impact, but they're a bit bulky.

Something like the Tory Lee 7855 for instance uses dual density foam type pads, the outer pad is far more rigid, the inner part, softer (I'm only using this as an example). I had a pair of armoured motorcycle jeans using similar armour year ago and walked away from a 240kph head on motorcycle crash with only a broken toe... that was an expensive day .... Oh to have been less of an idiot when younger :)

Having now pretty thoroughly tested hard shell (fox) and "squidgy" troy lee ... I find they both work incredibly well, but if you're unfortunate to have a fall in a particular direction - they don't make you immortal. With the fox last year I had three really nasty rock falls on the same ride :) Every part of my body which wasn't armoured was bruised, even inner thighs. My kidneys were bruised, but I had slammed backwards into a sharp edged rock at high speed so you have to expect something.

I try not to take pain killers as I think I have a pretty low pain threshold (I'm a pussy) so I'd be taking them all the time. I take ibuprofen in small amounts to help reduce inflamation to help with healing and now mainly resort to Pharma Arnica Ice, applied in tiny amounts externally. This got me through my latest fractured ribs, and was the only way I could sleep last year with the fractured pelvis. (this is for horses, so you only need a pee sized blob to treat most human problems so 1 litre will last you a lifetime even if you're as accident prone as me).

I found front fractured ribs (bike last year) didn't inhibit me anywhere near as much rear fractured ribs (horse kick 2 months ago - landed about 6 meters away ...) even cycling was totally off the cards, that was agony.

High Rock Ruti

Zimmerframe think GOLF.....LOL

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I had three really nasty rock falls on the same ride :) Every part of my body which wasn't armoured was bruised, even inner thighs. My kidneys were bruised, but I had slammed backwards into a sharp edged rock at high speed so you have to expect something.

This got me through my latest fractured ribs, and was the only way I could sleep last year with the fractured pelvis. (this is for horses, so you only need a pee sized blob to treat most human problems so 1 litre will last you a lifetime even if you're as accident prone as me).

"Oh to have been less of an idiot when younger" It sounds like you were.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This is a great bit of kit if you are looking for something not to bulky

IMO the Leatt stuff is the best when it comes to serious protection, the fit, the little details, and how you dont notice it when riding is better than anything else on the market IMO.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use Leatt armour. You get what you pay for in terms of compression wear. I use Under Armour shorts and short sleeve vest.....both " heatware". Apart from reducing muscle oscillation good compression kit wicks sweat away from your body and is anti bacterial. It also provides a slippery surface so that armour moves more freely and prevents chafeing. It is also much easier to wash.

Bagpu55

Feb 16, 2020
Stockport
I can strongly recommend not going commando. Yesterday I clipped a dry stone wall with my fist along a narrow path. That rotated the bars a full 90-100 degrees placing the bar end right into my groin and flipping me over the bars with some force. I cant fully describe the pain nor the epic swelling/bruising that has resulted just think aubergine. Fortunately soft tissue only (following a reluctant visit to A+E but damn glad I went). Was just quite a random smash that Ive never had before, but the potential for quite a severe injury to this region is fairly high. Moral of the story always fit the bar end caps, wide bars are not always best and just be careful in the narrow stuff (especially stone and trees as they dont move much). Not sure what body armor options are available.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I can strongly recommend not going commando. Yesterday I clipped a dry stone wall with my fist along a narrow path. That rotated the bars a full 90-100 degrees placing the bar end right into my groin and flipping me over the bars with some force. I cant fully describe the pain nor the epic swelling/bruising that has resulted just think aubergine. Fortunately soft tissue only (following a reluctant visit to A+E but damn glad I went). Was just quite a random smash that Ive never had before, but the potential for quite a severe injury to this region is fairly high. Moral of the story always fit the bar end caps, wide bars are not always best and just be careful in the narrow stuff (especially stone and trees as they dont move much). Not sure what body armor options are available.

High Rock Ruti

So Sorry, sounds painful just reading about it. Close calls to our bodies. Last year I broke a dead white pine branch on the outside corner of my eye, would have lost the eye for sure. So let's add glasses to the kit list, found "Ryder" fog proof glasses, bought yellow lenses, they have all styles and colors, about $120 USD. The anti-fog really really works well, the lenses are impregnated, oddly when wet the lens gets a little out of focus from a slight texturing of the lens surface.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Doesn't everyone have one of these ?

groin.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles