Giant trance e chain wear.

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Hi all.
Was wondering how many miles you guys are getting out of your chains. I've done just short of 900 miles and just noticing now the highest gear occasionally slipping under load.

57 Reaction

May 27, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Was wondering how many miles you guys are getting out of your chains. I've done just short of 900 miles and just noticing now the highest gear occasionally slipping under load.

I replaced the chain on my trance E+ after 600 miles, it had been well looked after ie/regularly cleaned and lubricated.

Those 600 miles were done during Jan - Apr so included some pretty muddy conditions.

ps/ the chain was a Sram GX Eagle 12 spd

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
I replaced the chain on my trance E+ after 600 miles, it had been well looked after ie/regularly cleaned and lubricated.

Those 600 miles were done during Jan - Apr so included some pretty muddy conditions.

ps/ the chain was a Sram GX Eagle 12 spd
Looks like mines due then. Thanks.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
I'm on 1054 kilometres and my chain wear is still between ,25 and, 5 percent wear which is normal even for a new chain on my original chain and cassette. I wash my bike regularly and use dry lube after every second of third ride. No slip and not other issues. If you ensure that you keep sand and mud out of your chain and lubricate it regularly you should get very good mileage. The KMC chain that the bikes come out with is very wear resistant. If you look after your chain it will last. Jumping gears could be bent mech or hanger as well and sometimes a dry chain can sound like it's jumping gears. Also pulling away while you are not fully in a gear and applying power with an eBike will cause even new gears to jump teeth. Check your chain wear regularly, but do it yourself because bike shops tend to tell you your chain is worn even when it's not. Replace it when it approaches. 75 percent. This will ensure your cassette and chain ring last a long time.

Last edited:

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
I've had my Trance E+1 pro since the end of october 2018 and have gone through 2 cassettes and on my 4th chain.
It takes the p<>s really.
In my opinion they're not up to the job!
Running Sram gx eagle everything apart from the cassette which is the nx version.
Usually do around 25-30 miles a weekend with the occasional run in the week.
They may be wear and tear items but 3 months this cassette has been on and its already slipping in one gear, chain wear was only at .5 on the old chain so there shouldn't be any wear on the cassette but the new chain slips in one gear already!
These things need to be tougher! In my opinion any way.

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
I got over 1000 miles before my chain went on my +2. Kmc e11, slx cassette.
Just fitted new slx, shimano chain and a hope chainring.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Purchased my Giant Trance E Pro +1 in March 2019. Have just clocked up 4,200 kilometres. Most riding on dry dusty hilly trails with probably 10-20% tarseal riding.
Bike is washed, chain/Cassette cleaned and oiled weekly. Suspension joints/shockers given a touch of silicone spray weekly too.
Have just replaced Cassette and stretched chain. Cost NZD$283.00.
I thought chain/cassette should last longer than 4,200 odd kms. Am I expecting too much?
PS: I note the 2020 Giant Trance e Pro +1 is fitted with Shimano rear derailleur, cassette and chain. Anyone like to comment on the switch from Sram?
PS: Rear tyre due for change now. Is 4,200 kms good wear? Front probably got another 1-2,000 kms wear left.
Any comments appreciated.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
The mileage you get out of your chain is going to vary greatly depending on you weight, how much power you and the bike combined exert on the chain and what gear/s you spend the bulk of your time in.

Then you add the maintenance factors and how dusty the conditions are that you ride in.

On my first combination of KMC chain and Shimano SLX cassette, I got about 1800 kilos with the chain measuring 75%. I then replaced both cassette and chain for a Sunrace MX8 and Shimano HG701 eBike certified chain and got less out of that combo before the chain was worn 75%. Thinking that the Shimano chain wears faster than the KMC, I then switched to Shimano chain again on the Sunrace Cassette. The at very low kilos my 13 tooth gear started jumping teeth. after careful inspection and a lot of tuning and a new gear cable I noticed that the teeth were worn on the 13 tooth cassette.

To me that appeared shockingly low kilos on a cassette and i decided to switch back to a Shimano cassette, but the rep at Sunrace heard about it and replaced my cassette free of charge.

My take-away from all this is that one needs to replace the chains more frequently and definitely not far further than about 50% wear to give your cassette a longer life.

I have cleaned my chain regularly and lubricates it with Würth spray dry lube after every 2 rides. I am now going to switch to Smoove drip-on dry lube that I used previously on my bio-bike with great success.

The issue with smaller teeth jumping due to premature wear seems to be a common issue and I see that Shimano apparently supply the small gears loose for replacement ( an option that I would be worried about unless I plan to get extra kilos out of an already work cassette/chain combo.

I will now monitor the wear on the new Sunrace cassette and if it is good I might persist with the combination, otherwise I will go for the new close ratio cassette from Shimano.

Either way don't expect 4500 kilos out of a combination. You will start getting issues with bad gear changes long before you get there if you don't end up with a completely worn cassette. I would say if you are a light rider and you maintain your chain well , you will be lucky to get more than 1500 kilos out of a chain. The rule of thumb is two chains per cassette, but I hop to get a better ratio by replacing the chains more frequently.

Hi all.
Hi all.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
Based on the kilos you get on tyre, you must be a very light rider. I get a lot less before the tyre is either worn or it throws a bead.

The switch ot SRAM is probably due to better deals the get from the manufacturers. There's really not a lot in the product in either performance or weight so no big issues.

You'll see my notes elsewhere on chain and cassette wear. You shouldn't expect that high mileage from any chain.

Purchased my Giant Trance E Pro +1 in March 2019. Have just clocked up 4,200 kilometres. Most riding on dry dusty hilly trails with probably 10-20% tarseal riding.
Bike is washed, chain/Cassette cleaned and oiled weekly. Suspension joints/shockers given a touch of silicone spray weekly too.
Have just replaced Cassette and stretched chain. Cost NZD$283.00.
I thought chain/cassette should last longer than 4,200 odd kms. Am I expecting too much?
PS: I note the 2020 Giant Trance e Pro +1 is fitted with Shimano rear derailleur, cassette and chain. Anyone like to comment on the switch from Sram?
PS: Rear tyre due for change now. Is 4,200 kms good wear? Front probably got another 1-2,000 kms wear left.
Any comments appreciated.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
2200 km on my fathom e+2 pro and the chain was between .5 and.75. No slippage at all and changes always perfectly.

I put a new chain anyway and the cassette is still ready for other 2000km :D

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
My Shimano 12 speed reaches 0.5% wear in approx 400 miles so I give it a 500-mile lifetime and change it there in order to save the cassette. Annoyingly thats a chain every other month for me...

I monitor mileage of each component separately in my Garmin app so I can see suspension services, tyres and chains etc.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Hi Guys,

I've had my Giant Fathom E+ Pro for about a year, only managed 1,000km on her so far, and the chain seems to be wearing ok. Its a Shimano HG50 10 speed cassette and a KMC, e-bike specific chain, with a Praxis chain ring.

As its an e-bike specific chain on a Shimano 10 speed, should I expect to replace it at 0.75% play or earlier?

My LBS did a quick check and said its ok at the minute, and its still below 0.75% at the moment (just ordered a park tools CC-2 gauge to measure the wear more accurately) but obviously it will need replacing at some point, so at what kind of wear level should I definitively have to replace it?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a better chain than the KMC, or are all the e-bike specific chains as good as each other?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
I replaced mine after 3000km. It was somewhere between 0.5% and 0.75% but closer to 0.75%.

I have tried the shimano ebike chain and the kmc e10. Both are good enough. I prefer the kmc however... it is more durable and runs very smooth.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
My Park tool wear gauge just arrived, and its showing that the wear is only just over .25% after over 1,000 km I feel embarrassed given the chain wear others have noted above ? although I do admit to being a fair weather rider, I hate riding to the plantations in the rain :D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles