Focus Jam2 LTD Charging problem

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Focus non-charging update.

The new Focus frame battery arrived on Tue 2nd Apr, instead of Mon 25th Mar, so that's 18 days delivery not 10, or less if you allow for the Easter hols.
I got a text msg from JE James asking if I still wanted the work doing or had the 4amp charger solved the problem?

I don't know whether it has solved the problem or not as the weather hasn't been cold enough!

I have emailed JE James saying that although I am quite happy at the moment, I am prepared to go ahead as planned. The reason is that I don't want to go through all this again next winter. I want a proper resolution. They can have the bike for as long as they need for tests, but I want a courtesy bike if they need it for more than a few days.

They previously had the bike for two weeks (I was abroad for one of those weeks) whilst they experimented with various combinations of temperature of bike and charger. When I got the bike back, my first charge with a 4amp charger only gave me 38 miles of range in Eco, vs 40 miles that I always got before with the 4.5amp charger . This has repeated itself since. I have asked them if that is down to the lower current charger, or something else? Not happy with that range reduction, surely it is too soon in the battery life for that to be happening? Or have they done something to it during repeated testing at low charge?

Comment anyone? :unsure::)

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
It’s only 2 miles, weather or riding style could provide this result?
I think the power output would only affect the charge time?

Moving forward the battery has a 2 year warranty, I think I’d want a written guarantee that charger and batteries will be covered for replacement into next winter if you don’t have the opportunity to test in warmer weather during spring.

I’d check it’s the same as mine 4A 240V only, I’ve had no issues.

My battery is on its way and the extended time is because they send them over land as they can’t fly them over.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Wow! 38 miles from the internal battery, I'd be over the moon with that.
Guess it's not that hilly or muddy where you ride.
Back in the cold wet weather of January I was getting 18 miles. I'm getting about 25 now it's dry.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow! 38 miles from the internal battery, I'd be over the moon with that.
Guess it's not that hilly or muddy where you ride.
Back in the cold wet weather of January I was getting 18 miles. I'm getting about 25 now it's dry.

I didn't say that I got 38 miles, only that the display reported it had 38 miles available in Eco, before I started using it.

Anyway, false alarm! After I charged up the battery last night the display reported 40 miles again. I have no explanation for this.

I've had no reply from JE James yet. They are probably taking time to think about it first.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I didn't say that I got 38 miles, only that the display reported it had 38 miles available in Eco, before I started using it.

Anyway, false alarm! After I charged up the battery last night the display reported 40 miles again. I have no explanation for this.

I've had no reply from JE James yet. They are probably taking time to think about it first.

Ah right, mine shows 40 miles in eco on the display also. Clearly the default reading.

Be interesting to compare 'consumption' on Sunday's ride.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
My bike is back, just over 2 weeks to get a new battery from Focus, all fixed by JE James FOC, the service has been good from them.

That's great news hope it's all ok now, I know on forums there will be faults and problems highlighted about all bikes but let's not forget the Jam2 is a really superb ebike I love mine :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Focus Jam2 charging update:

I've had a chat with the workshop at JE James in Sheffield. Focus are adamant that 99% of charging problems are fixed by changing the battery. Focus are ignoring all the other evidence to that suggests it is the charger. So I will be having a new battery fitted soon. There is no way I can test the battery/charger problem unless we get a cold spell soon afterwards, not until next winter anyway! If (when) the problems recur, JE James say that will be able to get Focus to listen.

I'm disappointed, but short of borrowing a cold store, I'm not sure what else I can do.

Meltin

Mar 21, 2019
Leicestershire
Focus Jam2 charging update:

I've had a chat with the workshop at JE James in Sheffield. Focus are adamant that 99% of charging problems are fixed by changing the battery. Focus are ignoring all the other evidence to that suggests it is the charger. So I will be having a new battery fitted soon. There is no way I can test the battery/charger problem unless we get a cold spell soon afterwards, not until next winter anyway! If (when) the problems recur, JE James say that will be able to get Focus to listen.

I'm disappointed, but short of borrowing a cold store, I'm not sure what else I can do.
I must be the 1% had my battery changed still have same problem not charging with 4.5 amp charger ,despite charger in 22 deg house...

Meltin

Mar 21, 2019
Leicestershire
Mine always showed 40 miles, just come back after motor repairs and now shows 44 miles. All pretty meaningless really.
Received this email from Focus about charging concerns.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 25 March 2019 10:27
To:
Subject: Re: [Ticket#2019032110004961] Form [Contact]

Dear Mr.

we confirm the reception of your email and we apologize for any inconvenience that a product by our company may have caused to you.

To make a warranty claim it is necessary to contact your dealer. Your dealer is our legally bound contractual partner. So he is responsible for all your requests, desires with regards to warranty, advice and reparation.
Of course, a dealer can contact our technical customer service and to ask for support regarding the cause of the error. Then it will be verified if the warranty claim is justified and a replacement delivery or a repair will be performed.

Kind regards,

Derby Cycle Werke GmbH
Irena Westendorf
Kundenservice
Siemensstrasse 1-3
49661 Cloppenburg
Germany
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.derby-cycle.com

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mine has been showing 44 miles in Eco for a week or so now, used to be 40 miles. I can't tell whether I'm actually getting extra range or not as I do a different ride every time I go out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The new battery was fitted on Wed and I can see and feel no difference at all. The display shows the same as before and I still get 44 miles in Eco on full charge. (I had thought the display readings may have been zeroed and that the range may have dropped to the 40 miles I got initially).
The JE James mechanic that fitted it told me that he had emailed Focus to say that he didn't know whether it had fixed the problem because it wasn't cold enough. I didn't ask, but I'm guessing that Focus wanted to know if the battery change had fixed the problem. He also told me that I had done the right thing by co-operating with Focus by letting them change the battery. He said "you get a new battery and they have no excuses if it won't charge next winter". :)

Oct 28, 2018
North Yorkshire
My battery has just done the same, 2 week old bike, the first time the battery has been drained; no problem topping it up so far (above 25% battery power) I ran it out to nothing, and now the charger only flashes green (charging) 9 or 10 times then all lights go off.
My mate has the same bike, luckily his charger was the 4.0A output; borrowed it, plugged it in and presto, charging as normal. Ill call the dealer in the morning...

Oct 28, 2018
North Yorkshire
These are the details on the reverse of the charger that seems to solve the depleted battery charging issue.
IMG_20190505_220517.jpg

IMG_20190505_220517.jpg
:coffee:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
That’s the one I have on my 2018 and never had an issue.

But you did have a battery that went kapput.

Maybe they upgraded the charger (the Chinese makers that is) because with the old one, too many batteries were blowing, but now the new one has a fail safe that is causing the current (I mean the present) problem. A problem I encountered over the winter.

Just a thought.

Whatever, Focus are keeping pretty quiet about it.

Russ

Feb 10, 2019
Perhshire
Interesting
I too have the 4.0 amp charger and have never had a problem charging the battery no matter how cold , I got the bike in December last year and it always charged fine in a freezing cold garage , until the battery failure!
So far so good with new battery and am loving it again, fingers crossed

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How many times do Focus need to be told that the problem is with the charger before they accept it? I can't get my head around it? Why would they prefer to replace an approx £600 battery instead of a charger at one tenth the price? :unsure:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My battery has just done the same, 2 week old bike, the first time the battery has been drained; no problem topping it up so far (above 25% battery power) I ran it out to nothing, and now the charger only flashes green (charging) 9 or 10 times then all lights go off.
My mate has the same bike, luckily his charger was the 4.0A output; borrowed it, plugged it in and presto, charging as normal. Ill call the dealer in the morning...

Save yourself some time and the dealer some hassle and use the info on this thread, there is a lot of it.

The guys at JE James in Sheffield (message me, and I'll give you names and phone numbers) did loads of charging tests in warm and cold conditions, taking over a week.. They are convinced that it is a charger problem and they gave me a 4A charger in exchange for my 4.5A. Despite their evidence and all the anecdotal evidence from this forum of this problem occurring elsewhere, Focus refused to accept it. Instead they merely stated that 99% (or was it 95%?) of all charging problems are fixed by changing the battery.

Good luck! :)

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
But you did have a battery that went kapput.

Maybe they upgraded the charger (the Chinese makers that is) because with the old one, too many batteries were blowing, but now the new one has a fail safe that is causing the current (I mean the present) problem. A problem I encountered over the winter.

Just a thought.

Whatever, Focus are keeping pretty quiet about it.

JE James have only seen 3 failed batteries , the old charger is 240V only whereas the new one is 100-240V enabling distribution to more countries, I don't think the old style charger is the issue, the battery failed on a ride so I don't see how the charger could produce that effect.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
JE James have only seen 3 failed batteries , the old charger is 240V only whereas the new one is 100-240V enabling distribution to more countries, I don't think the old style charger is the issue, the battery failed on a ride so I don't see how the charger could produce that effect.

As I said "just a thought", but there is definitely something that clearly is not quite right and once circuits are controlled by micro chips and software then everyday logic goes out of the window..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles