Focus Jam2 6.7 Before & After

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I picked up a 2019 Jam2 6.7 last November for what was quite frankly a price I couldn’t refuse.

Apart from the charger giving up the ghost, I’ve really enjoyed the bike, but I was never really all that impressed by the stock Recons and Deluxe R shock.

I was lucky enough to have a Fox EVOL LV kicking about the workshop from an ‘old’ bike in the correct size, so fitted that and found it a lot more supportive in the mid range than the OEM shock, but still quite easy to go through the travel when the trail points down. I’m about 95kg kitted up, so might try a volume spacer to help with that. For trail riding it’s fine though.

I switched out the 32mm Recons for some Rockshox 35 Gold forks, which were a lot stiffer but still felt a bit dead on the trails, although much better down hills.

I happened across some bargain Manitou Mattoc’s from the usual big online box shippers, and having fond memories of my old Manitou Sherman’s decided to give them a go.

I’ve had a couple of weeks on them now, and love the forks. I like all the adjustability, but the variable negative air spring means I can set them up to be plush in the initial stroke but firmer in the mid stroke. They come pretty close to some custom valved and sprung 1st Gen Pikes with travel adjust I have on one of my standard MTBs, and I’m very happy with how they feel and work. Time will tell how long they stay working well.

They are a shorter offset than the Recons, but the marginally shorter wheelbase is welcome. They are set to 160mm travel at the moment, +20mm over the Recons, but axle to crown height is unchanged. They do look a little steeper in the pics, but seem to work ok, despite being only 34mm stanchion.

I’ve also thrown on some 2.5 faster rolling rubber for the summer, which help the range from the frame battery as well.

A before and after pic as promised.

F6FB3D4B-0DC8-4BA2-9B2C-D031C35061F0.jpeg

5C4F4582-A69A-4A57-A9C5-CBE821B18C1E.jpeg

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
Good work Tooks, weirdly I’ve been pondering the same regarding the forks. I’ve just fitted Manitou forks with 51mm offset to my Orange P7 with the same 140mm travel as stock Recons . They actually ride much better than the Recons and thought about swapping them ? Now I’ve seen yours with Manitou’s , I may give it ago. ?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I haven’t got to the bike yet. Still trying to workout how your car changes colours with the seasons!

Yes, in the after pic I had managed to chuck a bucket of water over the car for once!

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
It’s changed again... A sort of after after.

Saw some bargain unstickered 2020 Fox Rhythm 34s, and as I’ve never had Fox forks before decided to give them a go.

I’m quite impressed with them after a few rides out on my usual trails, very supple but do dive a bit through the first 50% of travel. Nice trail fork though, and the RRP Pro Bolt on fender fits well.

I’ve also succumbed and purchased a new saddle with matching copper rails, although they match the Fox shock better than the Nukeproof stem etc.

DB1211DA-B892-49F7-8017-8D43D7554C0D.jpeg

Gee tomac

Jun 20, 2019
Kent
Quick update on parts fitted .
Ergon Saddle & grips
Eddie current front 2.6
Eddie current rear 2.6
Changed flat bars for Nukeproof Neutron
Dmr Defy 35 stem
New Magura MDR- P rotors
Magura 4 piece brake pads
Magura HC 1 finger brake levers
Magura coloured calliper rings to match frame
Now fitted 2021 Rockshox Yari 150mm travel
Also upgraded to Mavic E Deemax wheels

Last edited:

Sonicfly190

Sep 30, 2020
C
I picked up a 2019 Jam2 6.7 last November for what was quite frankly a price I couldn’t refuse.

Apart from the charger giving up the ghost, I’ve really enjoyed the bike, but I was never really all that impressed by the stock Recons and Deluxe R shock.

I was lucky enough to have a Fox EVOL LV kicking about the workshop from an ‘old’ bike in the correct size, so fitted that and found it a lot more supportive in the mid range than the OEM shock, but still quite easy to go through the travel when the trail points down. I’m about 95kg kitted up, so might try a volume spacer to help with that. For trail riding it’s fine though.

I switched out the 32mm Recons for some Rockshox 35 Gold forks, which were a lot stiffer but still felt a bit dead on the trails, although much better down hills.

I happened across some bargain Manitou Mattoc’s from the usual big online box shippers, and having fond memories of my old Manitou Sherman’s decided to give them a go.

I’ve had a couple of weeks on them now, and love the forks. I like all the adjustability, but the variable negative air spring means I can set them up to be plush in the initial stroke but firmer in the mid stroke. They come pretty close to some custom valved and sprung 1st Gen Pikes with travel adjust I have on one of my standard MTBs, and I’m very happy with how they feel and work. Time will tell how long they stay working well.

They are a shorter offset than the Recons, but the marginally shorter wheelbase is welcome. They are set to 160mm travel at the moment, +20mm over the Recons, but axle to crown height is unchanged. They do look a little steeper in the pics, but seem to work ok, despite being only 34mm stanchion.

I’ve also thrown on some 2.5 faster rolling rubber for the summer, which help the range from the frame battery as well.

A before and after pic as promised.

View attachment 32733
View attachment 32734
Awesome looking bike......love it!

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I never thought to check if I could swap in a 29er front. What sort of riding do you do and how are you finding it?

Just standard trail riding really, I’m not a jumper or anything like that nowadays, but do like pointing it down hill occasionally!

I find the 29” front wheel improves the rolling ability over trail terrain a little, and the slight geometry changes to me feel better, not that I could tell you in detail what they are!

I ride it still in 27.5 config sometimes, my mud tyres are on a set of 27.5s, and I don’t find any handling traits I’m missing, but then that’s usually plugging along muddy trails rather than riding.

The 29” front just feels more ‘alive’ when I’m riding the hard pack again, and just feels more pointable really, that’s the best way I can describe it.

GeekEcosse

Oct 24, 2018
Edinburgh
Just standard trail riding really, I’m not a jumper or anything like that nowadays, but do like pointing it down hill occasionally!

I find the 29” front wheel improves the rolling ability over trail terrain a little, and the slight geometry changes to me feel better, not that I could tell you in detail what they are!

I ride it still in 27.5 config sometimes, my mud tyres are on a set of 27.5s, and I don’t find any handling traits I’m missing, but then that’s usually plugging along muddy trails rather than riding.

The 29” front just feels more ‘alive’ when I’m riding the hard pack again, and just feels more pointable really, that’s the best way I can describe it.

Cheers, off to look at the prices of spare rims now!

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’ve been changing stuff out again, and I’ve upset my copper accessories theme in the process!

A couple of weeks back, inspired by another member on here, I picked up a DVO Topaz rear shock to replace the competent but dead feeling Fox DPS. I’ve only had a few rides on it since, but it’s a fantastic feeling shock on the Jam 2, plush but still supportive.

One thing it did highlight straight away though was how the weak link was now the Fox 34 Rhythm, which felt quite twangy and all of a sudden not that plush, especially at the pressures I was running to get the correct sag.

I like to have matching ‘collar and cuffs’ (?) so started looking at DVO forks to better match the shock. I found the DVO Onyx SC at a good price, albeit in 27.5 form which did concern me a little as I’ve enjoyed running the mullet setup for a while now.

Anyway, after agonising over the black or DVO green colour, I settled on conservative black, my JAM 2 isn’t that loud in grey!

I fitted them in the week, after dropping the lowers and fitting the two travel reduction spacers supplied in the box. Stock it’s 180mm travel and 575mm axle to crown, with the two spacers fitted it’s 160mm and 555mm axle to crown which is the same as the stock setup.

That done I popped them on and needed a different caliper adapter as the DVO is 180mm rotor compatible out of the box. I had that fortunately.

A quick before picture reminder;

9B016CE5-D97B-4CDC-AFF2-CA230107243D.jpeg

And a couple with the new forks and back to a 27.5 front.

58A4383F-0848-472C-812F-3450786F350B.jpeg

2F1F73F7-C702-4238-B122-2C202A89F94D.jpeg

I’ve only had the one ride, I won’t wax lyrical about them just yet and there’s a myriad of setup options, but they’re certainly plush feeling and stiff compared to the outgoing forks.

I’d been toying with the idea of picking up a new e-bike at some point, but this has given it a new lease of life. Even at circa £1k for the upgrades, on top of the £2.3k I paid for the whole bike pre-pandemic, it still feels like a bargain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles