Flats or clipless on an e-bike ? Is it a good idea to ride clipped in ?

chris edwards

Nov 24, 2018
Lowestoft
Undecided ........ I used to use Crank Brothers DH Mallet clipless pedals on my acoustic enduro bikes , had a few very slow speed mishaps but other wise preferred them for keeping me attached to the bike when things got rough.

Since owning e-bikes I have stuck with Hope F20 flat pedals on the premise clipless wouldn't be ideal on an e-bike . However, the more I grow into how an e-bike performs the more my confidence grows and have found my self riding trails harder and faster than I ever have, sometimes though such is the velocity and speed over rough terrain I have found myself occasionally bouncing off the pedals which leads to a mad struggle to relocate my Five tens back into position !

I am going to give my old DH Mallets a go this week but would like to gauge opinion on the pro's and con's on an e-bike too .

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
on the premise clipless wouldn't be ideal on an e-bike .

What exactly is your premise based on? I've used spd's since quite early on in my mtbing activities, found they suited me, and wouldn't even consider not fitting them to any bike I own.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They're just pedals bro.
You've experience of riding both types so you already know the pros and cons.
Only you can decide which you prefer.

If your feet are bouncing off the Hope flats flats wearing 5:10s you need to work on your flat pedal riding technique.

Elover

Feb 5, 2020
Chelmsford
I don`t get the changing pedals thing.. It`s just another bike.... Me and a mate have been riding 25 years and on Spds for the last 15 odd years and ridden everything on them... We get ebikes and he decides to get flats and new shoes, over £200 quid later and 2 rides, he swops back to spd`s.....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
TBH I struggle to comprehend folk who ask for advice on how to ride flats.
No one learned to ride a bike clipped in!
Keep riding enough and you'll work it out ;)

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I went the other way. Used SPD's since the 80s but switched to flats with my first embt in 2017 and wouldn't swap back. Now put flats on all my bikes.

me too. tried flats on my Levo - because I didn't need that x% extra performance with a motor.

much prefer it, now have flats on all my bikes including singlespeed.

I think the x% performance gain is negligible or non-existent.

And I like being able to centre my feet on the pedals for DH.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I like clips but the idea of have a crash and get my feet locked ... it happened to me and saw it a few times on normal bikes, and wasn’t funny ... on a ebike this could be a disaster, or even worst a chronic disaster

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Coincidentally I’ve been looking at SPD platforms today while it rains. I’ve ridden both over the years but it’s been a while since I’ve ridden SPDs off road and I’m curious. I‘ve only ever had the small body pedals though.

I have one question to those that have used platform SPDs. Do you always have to be clipped in or are they usable without (in the same skateshoe style spd shoes)?

DaveyPetey

Sep 29, 2019
SLC, Ut
Coincidentally I’ve been looking at SPD platforms today while it rains. I’ve ridden both over the years but it’s been a while since I’ve ridden SPDs off road and I’m curious. I‘ve only ever had the small body pedals though.

I have one question to those that have used platform SPDs. Do you always have to be clipped in or are they usable without (in the same skateshoe style spd shoes)?
You have to be clipped in.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Undecided ........ I used to use Crank Brothers DH Mallet clipless pedals on my acoustic enduro bikes , had a few very slow speed mishaps but other wise preferred them for keeping me attached to the bike when things got rough.

Since owning e-bikes I have stuck with Hope F20 flat pedals on the premise clipless wouldn't be ideal on an e-bike . However, the more I grow into how an e-bike performs the more my confidence grows and have found my self riding trails harder and faster than I ever have, sometimes though such is the velocity and speed over rough terrain I have found myself occasionally bouncing off the pedals which leads to a mad struggle to relocate my Five tens back into position !

I am going to give my old DH Mallets a go this week but would like to gauge opinion on the pro's and con's on an e-bike too .

I have used Shimano PDM 545 pedals for years, both on my Stumpjumper, and on my current Giant E-Trance.

If you take time to experiment with adjusting the clip tension you can make them grip your shoes enough to stay connected on bumpy, rocky ground, but loose enough to get your feet out if you think you are about to crash.

They come with standard lugs (the bit that screws to your shoe), but they sell an alternative lug (which I use) with a slightly different shape, which is much easier to release with a sideways twist of your foot in a "change of underwear" situation.

They have clips on both sides (so you can quickly clip in whichever side of the pedal is uppermost), but these are quite recessed, and the large metal platform round them with "teeth" all round, means that you can use them quite satisfactorily as flats, without clipping in, if you come to a difficult section you are unsure about.

Even on an e-bike I feel more secure when clipped in, and I think that the ability to ride without clipping in in the occasional tricky situations is a good compromise.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
They come with standard lugs (the bit that screws to your shoe), but they sell an alternative lug (which I use) with a slightly different shape, which is much easier to release with a sideways twist of your foot in a "change of underwear" situation.

Hi Nicho, what is that that alternative lug? More info please!

Thanks

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It would depend on the pedal, but if it's a decent sized platform with decent pins then no, you don't have to be clipped in.
I used to use Nukeproof Horizon DH SPD platforms with 5-10 SPD shoes and it's perfectly possible to ride them without clipping in. IMHO, (formed now I'm actually riding flats, so speaking with some experience of both) it's not as secure as a proper flat pedal as there aren't as many pins and the SPD mechanism can get in the way a bit.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
TBH I struggle to comprehend folk who ask for advice on how to ride flats.
No one learned to ride a bike clipped in!
Keep riding enough and you'll work it out ;)
No, they didn't, but I bet quite a few people are riding far more extreme terrain now the eBike has enabled access to the gnarlier trails so the transition to flats after many years of SPD riding isn't a simple one and may well require the re-learning of certain skills that may be useful on such terrain (or learning the proper methods after years of doin' it rong on spuds).

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
It would depend on the pedal, but if it's a decent sized platform with decent pins then no, you don't have to be clipped in.
I used to use Nukeproof Horizon DH SPD platforms with 5-10 SPD shoes and it's perfectly possible to ride them without clipping in. IMHO, (formed now I'm actually riding flats, so speaking with some experience of both) it's not as secure as a proper flat pedal as there aren't as many pins and the SPD mechanism can get in the way a bit.

Thanks for this, it’s what I suspected. I’m actually quite happy on my Hope flats but I am definitely curious to see how SPDs might change my riding.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
This is totally a matter of personal choice.

I didn't "get" flat pedals when I'd been riding SPDs since the 90s and some newb friends didn't want to ride clipped in. What I saw was a lot of resorting to dropping a foot off the pedals (deploying the tripod) in totally rideable situations - so they got lots of cajoling ridicule for holding their own riding back. Riding feet up (with the exception of foot out flat out, Sam Hill style) is the principle skill and the principle place of control for riding a mountain bike in a variety of terrain.

For the last 8 years I've been predominantly on flats. I got on with them from day 1. Was apprehensive going into my first jump but it all made sense very quickly - I learned that my suspension setup could bounce my feet around so I got better at setup.

I'm now probably more nervous of reverting to being clipped in. I tried a Mallet DH setup a couple of years ago and because of my gimpy leg (born with club foot) I couldn't clip out and had a slow speed tumble that dinged up my elbow. I still have problems with that elbow. It wasn't a "clipped in" pedals issue though. It was purely equipment that didn't work with my functional limitations.

I'm tempted to go clipped in for this Enduro racing season to keep my skills in and also just to mix it up. I definitely won't be on Crank Bros pedals though. I've done SPDs to death. Maybe Time.

For the OP, if you're getting bounced in rough terrain at high speed, it is fixable on flat pedals. Might be a technique thing. Might be a setup thing. IME, the setup that works for fast and rowdy can need adjustable LSC. If your suspension doesn't have adjustable LSC it can be a limiting factor. Rebound fast enough to tackle multiple successive hits needs the compression damping set to get the energy out of the system, hence the need for LSC adjustment. Hint: if your suspension feels harsh it is 99 times out of 100 down to packing rebound rather than LSC adjustment. Be careful though. If you go one or two clicks *too* fast on rebound you can have very unpredictable grip and find yourself eating dirt.

If the only compression adjustment you have is a threshold setting (pedal platform, not full lock out; e.g. trail mode) try sending it through some rowdy terrain with it in trail mode - keep your heels down and you may be surprised how much better it is than the open setting.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No, they didn't, but I bet quite a few people are riding far more extreme terrain now the eBike has enabled access to the gnarlier trails so the transition to flats after many years of SPD riding isn't a simple one and may well require the re-learning of certain skills that may be useful on such terrain (or learning the proper methods after years of doin' it rong on spuds).

This was 1990 mate

i

no one who's asking how to ride a flat pedal is doing anything extreme!

Reactions: Dax

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks, stands to reason really now I think.
I ran a hybrid pedal on my Stumpy... the Funn Mamba.
Large flat pedal with spikes on 1 side, and SPD on the other.
Good for being unclipped on runs you’re not sure about. Down side was, you end up trying to figure out which side of the pedal you’re on.
I’m now back on flats, and glad of it... especially in the wet boggy conditions where it’s easy to slip and need a foot down!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
This was 1990 mate

i

no one who's asking how to ride a flat pedal is doing anything extreme!
What's your point here Gary? We already know you're the bestest rider evar and not everyone can be as radical as you.
Extreme isn't an absolute and will differ from person to person.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That actually STILL was my point

Or do you think Matt spent his evenings deliberating over which pedals/shoes to use or worrying about and asking strangers how to keep his feet on them?

or...

do you think he might have actually gotten off his arse and ridden his bike again and again and again... and figured it out pretty well for himself?

The other (possibly more subtle point) of me posting that pic was... Mincing down hand cut FoD/TweedValley etc. slop, plopping off 3ft drops and casing little tabletops isn't extreme in the slightest... it certainly isn't anything new or something that requires a motorised bike to access/ride.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I think an ebike is way better with clips. I dab with one foot in the rough sections and pedal though with the other foot that is clipped it. It works awesome. My buddy tried clips on his ebike and completely agreed that an ebike is way better with clips.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I think an ebike is way better with clips. I dab with one foot in the rough sections and pedal though with the other foot that is clipped it. It works awesome. My buddy tried clips on his ebike and completely agreed that an ebike is way better with clips.

flats totally.

;-)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles