Ebike Garmin apps ~ UPDATE: new multi battery support

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@pgtips Hi, check new version of Ebike Field, the new settings option which shows both infos as one number can give you much better font on your device.

Also for owners of Levo FSR 2019, both of my datafields can now finally show the proper assist mode description.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
I tried to download the ebike field to my Garmin Fenix 5 today but with no success. Garmin Connect tells me to update my watch to download the Ebike field app but the watch has the current software installed (Version 8.0.0.0). Any suggestions?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
I tried to download the ebike field to my Garmin Fenix 5 today but with no success. Garmin Connect tells me to update my watch to download the Ebike field app but the watch has the current software installed (Version 8.0.0.0). Any suggestions?

Hi, it means that app will be installed during data update of your watch, which probably already happened. Did you try to configure datafield on the workout screen as it is described in Connect IQ app page?

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Hi Jan, it would be great to have a possibility to manage multiple batteries (or at least two batteries). Not sure if this is something that can be implemented easily, but it would for sure be very helpful for bigger trips where you have to switch to a second battery... (y):)
Hi Jan, any chance that ths will be inplemented in one of the future releases of the datafield?
:)

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Hannes_3000 Yes, the changes are quite high, but I don't want to promise any date now as it is not on top of my priority list for now. :)

But even before I implement it, Ebike Field can already be used on rides with more batteries without data drop. While you changing your battery, you just need to pause your workout > choose Resume later (or similarly on edge devices) and then grab your phone, select again value 0 in Garmin Connect Mobile app configuration and resume activity in Garmin. Of course this is not optimal, but it only add about 20 seconds to your battery swap time, so not a huge deal assuming that when you ride with your spare battery, you probably have also your smartphone in your bag.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Hi, it means that app will be installed during data update of your watch, which probably already happened. Did you try to configure datafield on the workout screen as it is described in Connect IQ app page?

I meanwhile managed it to download the ebike field app. Currently I have installed the Speci Data fields but it shows only assist mode and battery level. I will change that to ebike fields.

My intention is more to record data such as rider power (current, max, average), motor power (current, max, average), speed (current, max, average), altitude, cadence etc. and to analyse it in Garmin Connect. Does ebike field add this to the Garmin files?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@bekolu Yes, Ebike Field adds new ebike-related data to Garmin Connect, specifically battery level and assist mode level. Speed, rider power etc. garmin device records by default if you connect sensors properly.

Nerd Style version have already implemented also experimental real-time information about energy consumption (Wh/km), but Garmin folks have some problem in Garmin Connect Web, so it is preventing to render all graphs properly. I am in touch with them because of this and they are working on it. Because of that this functionality is considered as experimental and is off by default in user settings and also not migrated yet to Ebike Field "Simple".

As for the motor power, this info is not provided by bike via ANT+ unfortunately.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Speed, rider power etc. garmin device records by default if you connect sensors properly.

Do you mean I need to connect the sensors in the settings menu separately with the Levo? I can do that via the settings menu, and I can add that fields now.

As for the motor power, this info is not provided by bike via ANT+ unfortunately.

OK, but with rider power, cadence and assistance level there is a good proxy of motor power given. Battery consumption should be OK to use, too.

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Do you mean I need to connect the sensors in the settings menu separately with the Levo? I can do that via the settings menu, and I can add that fields now.
Yes you can. If you are talking about Nerd Style version, it get common cyclist data directly from system and load only ebike related info via implemented communication with bike.

OK, but with rider power, cadence and assistance level there is a good proxy of motor power given. Battery consumption should be OK to use, too.
I don't think this can be anywhere near accuracy to make even sense to calculate it like that. Every motor and assist mode setting is different. It make more sense to try it to calculate from that energy consumption + speed data, but I also doubt about accuracy here.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
OK, great, thanks. I´m more interested in analyzing data after the ride - compare total ride or section data in terms of avg. speed, avg. power, heart rate etc.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@bekolu More that what? I am not sure about you, but that is what I am talking about here. :)

BTW quick update to all with recent app update:
- Ebike Diagnostics now support almost every Connect IQ capable Garmin device, so you can even change speed-limit from your watch if necessary. ;) Plus there were other minor improvements and fixes.

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
More that what? I am not sure about you, but that is what I am talking about here. :)

OK, more interested in what the watch is recording and storing in tcx or any equivalent file (and what I can see and analyze in Garmin Connect) than in what the watch is showing during the ride - I will not look at the watch during a ride anyway. My current watch can´t get data from the levo so I have two files right now, one from MC app (or BLEvo) and one from the watch. No one is "complete".

I´m new in Garmin devices so I do not know what the watch is recording and what I can see in Garmin Connect. Do you see what I mean?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@bekolu Understand. Then let me try to help you there a little with this short overview, it may be useful also for someone else:

Garmin have few types of Connect IQ apps.
- One of them are called Apps and they appear in workouts list (in case of Fenix watches) immediately after install. They can do a lot of things, but don't use any native workout functionality of the device by default. My Ebike Diagnostics is such app, which can even set new wheel circumference in bike configuration.
- Then there are Datafield apps. They will not appear in workout list but you can embed them to your already pre-configured workout type like MTB. Every workout type consist of several datafields to show you what you need on screens. With datafields, you can use all native functionality of device for particular workout, but you can also add third-party Datafields apps to see or record some new data which device don't know.

Native datafields are usually only to select what you want to see on screen while data recorded to Connect IQ are predefined by workout type and you will affect them mainly by pairing with supported sensors in system settings. These can be for MTB for example Speed/Cadence and Power Sensor - both supported also by Turbo Levo. So you can see all this info in Garmin Connect without installing any third-party app.

But Levo act also as other "sensor". It has implemented electric bike ANT communcation, which can provide another useful info related to ebike like battery status, assist mode level etc. And there comes my Ebike Field datafields with implementation to connect to ebike and not only show info on screen but also add this info to recorded FIT file which is then used to populate data in Garmin Connect.

So in the end you will end up with all info together in Garmin Connect with several graphs including HR, Altitude, Speed, Cadence, Rider Power, Temperature, Ebike Battery, Ebike Assist mode etc. However ebike ANT connectivity don't provide that many info as Bluetooth, so that is why I don't have direct access to motor power output for example.

Hope this clarify things for you at least a little, remaining info can be found in description of my apps in Connect IQ app store. :)

Last edited:

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
@JanCapek: Thanks again for the good explanation. I used both the ebike field and the Speci data field and it worked so far. The only thing is I need to connect the sensors again when using a separate battery - did so yesterday but the ebike field did not show the battery level. The Speci data field was working during the ride.

Garmin Connect shows everything, the only thing missing is battery level and assist mode - but if I understand correctly I can get a code to use this premium functions once I donate via your homepage. How is the assistance level showed - eco, trail, turbo or do you show the % values (which would make more sense when changing the % values or using BLEvo smart power).

Thanks!

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
Hello,

as I also ride Turbo Levo and likes to ride with my Garmin instead of smartphone, I developed applications specifically for ebikes which communicates via ANT+ connectivity (which all Turbo Levos supports) without need to be setting up any fake-channel. So, in case somebody is interested in similar setup, here are they:

Ebike Field behave like simple datafield which you can configure to your preferred screen layout. It can show both battery level and current assist mode and it supports wide range of Garmin devices (EDGE and watches). You can even configure what and how it should be shown on screen. Additionally it support to render graphs of battery state and used assist mode during whole activity to Garmin Connect, which is perfect for evaluating your battery consumption.

Ebike Field "Nerd Style" does the same as first app but is specifically for watches and tries to maximize number of information on watch screen while remaining usable. It is even able to remind you in case you are off your preloaded route/course and you can reconfigure shown metrics on screen in app settings via Garmin Connect Mobile app.

Ebike Diagnostics is app with ability to read lots of useful information from bike and is even able to change bike wheel circumference. Unfortunately, no full support for new 2019 FSR Levo. This app is only for my donators.

More detailed description of all applications can be found under provided links on Garmin Connect IQ app store. More interesting features are on the way. Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

View attachment 6381
View attachment 5538
View attachment 6382
View attachment 5977
Any future update to use with Giant Trance E+? thanks

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
When enabling fake channel and choosing Speed/Cadence sensor when pairing with Garmin, speed works ok, but cadence is stuck at random number, any thoughts? :unsure:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@bekolu I think you were just lucky that it worked together for you once. Remove that specialized datafield and mine should work without issues. Yes, if you insert code you will get remaining statistics. Check first post of this thread to see how it looks. Assist mode is presented as number according to selected mode. Unfortunately Specialized don't provide assist percentage via ANT+ - I tried to read this from the bike, but always got only zero.

@dan3344 only in case the bike support ANT connectivity, which I doubt - but I am not familiar with these bikes.

@Thomas And for what reason you use fake channel? You don't need that with my apps.

Last edited:

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Thomas which one did you try? This can happen only with ebike field - nerd style because it don't support black background for devices' memory limit reason (as stated in app description) and I also removed built-in warning message as there were same related firmware bugs on some devices causing more troubles than help.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Normal Ebike Field.
My mistake in Paird DeviceID you have to put your LEVO code right? Did that now I have only options with bettery level and assist mode.
Others, like hart rate, speed, cadence you have to pay or what?

Now garmin recognize Speed/cadence sensor and not E-bike. Fake Channel is turned off and cadence started to work, on normal fields. :LOL:

Last edited:

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
@bekolu I think you were just lucky that it worked together for you once. Remove that specialized datafield and mine should work without issues. Yes, if you insert code you will get remaining statistics. Check first post of this thread to see how it looks. Assist mode is presented as number according to selected mode. Unfortunately Specialized don't provide assist percentage via ANT+ - I tried to read this from the bike, but always got only zero.

@dan3344 only in case the bike support ANT connectivity, which I doubt - but I am not familiar with these bikes.

@Thomas And for what reason you use fake channel? You don't need that with my apps.
Giant trance E+ have bluetooth connection.. Is it possible with bluetooth? or just using ANT+ ?

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Thomas I believe it will help if you read app description in connect iq store. Everything is explained here. You don't even need to add you device id to settings, the app have ability to pair automatically for the first time. Normal Ebike Field doesn't show data which is available by system datafields - there is no reason for that. On first post, you see Nerd Style version on the watch screen.

@dan3344 Interesting. Yep, Garmin Connect IQ apps can connect only to ANT for now. But where is bluetooth is often also ANT - you can try to run my datafield and keep it near the turned on bike for few seconds. If there is ant on bike, the datafield should automatically pick up ebike data. The changes are low, but it is worth to try. :)

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia

@Thomas I believe it will help if you read app description in connect iq store. Everything is explained here. You don't even need to add you device id to settings, the app have ability to pair automatically for the first time. Normal Ebike Field doesn't show data which is available by system datafields - there is no reason for that. On first post, you see Nerd Style version on the watch screen.

@dan3344 Interesting. Yep, Garmin Connect IQ apps can connect only to ANT for now. But where is bluetooth is often also ANT - you can try to run my datafield and keep it near the turned on bike for few seconds. If there is ant on bike, the datafield should automatically pick up ebike data. The changes are low, but it is worth to try. :)
Well..i can only try that out by end the month. Will update you by then.

Thomas B.

Oct 21, 2018
Metten17!
@dan3344 as far aside know gh Giants use Yamaha PW?? Motors which used to have Bluetooth "only" but did transmit power, cadence and speed via Bluetooth. You can used it with the newer Garmin devices which support Bluetooth sensors. I had a Haibike with Yamaha PWX and a Garmin Forerunner 935. Worked like charm until the Haibike Frame cracked.

dan3344

Oct 10, 2018
Malaysia
@dan3344 as far aside know gh Giants use Yamaha PW?? Motors which used to have Bluetooth "only" but did transmit power, cadence and speed via Bluetooth. You can used it with the newer Garmin devices which support Bluetooth sensors. I had a Haibike with Yamaha PWX and a Garmin Forerunner 935. Worked like charm until the Haibike Frame cracked.
Thanks for the info..Yes, Giant Trance E is using Yamaha PW-X motor. I got a Garmin Edge 130 which have bluetooth as well.
What Connect IQ apps u use to see the battery juice left?

Thomas B.

Oct 21, 2018
Metten17!
@dan3344 good point. At the time I had the PWX it did not transmit any other data then power, cadence and speed, and that were the only ones I captured with my Garmin (without IQapp). The battery juice left was displayed as bar on the build in Yamaha display (integrated in ahead)
or you could select it to be displayed as number in die second row (instead of ODO,...)
Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-14 um 14.18.56.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles