• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Does the latest FW (1.0.3.0) affect derestricting?

jodo

Mar 27, 2020
Sweden
I (unfortunately) have FW 1.0.3.0 on my Bosch CX MY20 and would like to derestrict my ebike.
Has anyone updated to the latest Bosch firmware that was released a couple of days ago? Have you seen any difference, loss of functionality because of the anti-tuning feature or triggering of the tuning detection?

I was thinking of buying one of the following kits, but I'm not sure anymore:
* SpeedChip V3
* VOLspeed V3
* SpeedBox 3.0

jodo

Mar 27, 2020
Sweden
This is the latest information I've found:
General functional improvements have been implemented in this software update to Version 1.0.3.0 to further enhance the software's reliability. The update should prevent any potentially erroneous recognition of tuning measures from recurring.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Im super interested whether VOLspeed V3 for Bosch Gen4 will hold on the new motor with the newest 1.0.3.0 software.. Manufacturers of the device claim it will and they have tested but how much and really on 1.0.3.0? Cant find much info about this at all to be honest, maybe someone can shed the light here.

jodo

Mar 27, 2020
Sweden
I'm also super keen on having more information on VOLspeed V3. I strongly leaning on this option but I would also want to know if someone has tested it extensively.
I wrote to info[at]volspeed.de and received a reply on april 8 that they had tested the new firmware for 150km without issues. Maybe it's time for a new status update. If you contact VOLspeed, please share your findings here. :)

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Main issue I see with the new firmware is that some comments I read on youtube videos that people get the 503(504) error even after many many more km's like 500 or even more. The system detects the chip somehow and boom, the error. So this is the most scary part. One theory I read is that the new kiox has this cool bosch app that you can use with GPS and track your activities etc. Could be it compares data from motor and data on GPS and as soon as it detects some impossible numbers with the pedelec, it shouts out the message?

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
Main issue I see with the new firmware is that some comments I read on youtube videos that people get the 503(504) error even after many many more km's like 500 or even more. The system detects the chip somehow and boom, the error. So this is the most scary part. One theory I read is that the new kiox has this cool bosch app that you can use with GPS and track your activities etc. Could be it compares data from motor and data on GPS and as soon as it detects some impossible numbers with the pedelec, it shouts out the message?
Which videos did you see people commenting that they got the error with firmware 1.0.3.0? I havent seen any, Ive seen people with 1.0.2.0 comment they had the error, but not the latest fw.
I asked for Volspeed to comment on the error with their unit active and was informed its probably due to faulty fw(1.0.2.0) detecting tuning that sometimes isnt even there, so its possible that the v3 was never detected, it was just a glitch in the fw. There must be something in this or why would Bosch release new fw(1.0.3.0)? They probably got a few calls from customers wondering why their nice new bike wasnt working when they hadnt even touched it.
I have a v3 sitting here now, I have fw 1.0.3.0, however Im waiting for some other guineapig to do over 1000km before I fit it! I have found zero references of anybody getting an error with fw 1.0.3.0
with either speedbox or volspeed v3’s, and believe me I have been looking hard!
I have found posts, here and elsewhere, of people fitting v3’s, but the posts are so old they can only be on 1.0.2.0 so their experiences of it are immaterial.
My personal opinion is that its better to be on 1.0.3.0 than the previous version, as that clearly had glitches with phantom tuning detection.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
Which videos did you see people commenting that they got the error with firmware 1.0.3.0? I havent seen any, Ive seen people with 1.0.2.0 comment they had the error, but not the latest fw.
I asked for Volspeed to comment on the error with their unit active and was informed its probably due to faulty fw(1.0.2.0) detecting tuning that sometimes isnt even there, so its possible that the v3 was never detected, it was just a glitch in the fw. There must be something in this or why would Bosch release new fw(1.0.3.0)? They probably got a few calls from customers wondering why their nice new bike wasnt working when they hadnt even touched it.
I have a v3 sitting here now, I have fw 1.0.3.0, however Im waiting for some other guineapig to do over 1000km before I fit it! I have found zero references of anybody getting an error with fw 1.0.3.0
with either speedbox or volspeed v3’s, and believe me I have been looking hard!
I have found posts, here and elsewhere, of people fitting v3’s, but the posts are so old they can only be on 1.0.2.0 so their experiences of it are immaterial.
My personal opinion is that its better to be on 1.0.3.0 than the previous version, as that clearly had glitches with phantom tuning detection.
Sounds logic, but lack of information on 1.0.3.0 with V3 is scary. Surely Bosch released it to cover something up, but V3 was there before 1.0.3.0 meant for older system right? So just like you im waiting for some more updates. Pardon me if I have misspoken, I am new to this :)

Finga

May 7, 2020
Uk
Sounds logic, but lack of information on 1.0.3.0 with V3 is scary. Surely Bosch released it to cover something up, but V3 was there before 1.0.3.0 meant for older system right? So just like you im waiting for some more updates. Pardon me if I have misspoken, I am new to this :)
Yes, v3 is older than latest fw, but latest fw was released because of ‘erroneous tuning detection’ in Bosch’s own words. You could get the error with no chip installed at all, so cant really say the chip doesnt work, it was the firmware. Nobody has had an error with a v3 on older gen motors with different tuning detection fw, so it works 100% for everything but 1.0.2.0 so far. The only variable right now, is did they fix the ‘erroneous tuning detection’! Or did they add something new!

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
how come its so difficult to switch it to USA 20mph speed rather than EU speed? the Shimano and other motors can be done easily by phone app, whats the difference to the USA setting?

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
It is done in the software, using a dealer interface.
EU law says the manufacturer must make their product safe from derestricting. Bosch have done this.

jobridder

Apr 27, 2020
USA
So i got the volspeed v3.
Ran for about 150 kms, then suddenly got some 503 errors, now cant activate it nor start the first time setup. Any ideas?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles