Command Post never fails.... (to disappoint)

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Well, the post is still SHITE! even after Berks Cycles replaced the cable. All these new 34.9mm Command Posts feel really grindy inside. Feels like it needs a decent service and some more grease in there! The 30.9mm size I'm running on 4 other bikes don't feel like this. The working pressure is also higher on these 34.9... recommended 60psi, max 100psi. Well 60psi definitely doesn't work as half way through the ride it stops topping out. Have upped it to 80psi now and will report back.
The X Fusion Manic on the cheaper Comp Carbon feels way better and from feedback I have from others... it's been faultless. GREAT!!! so I paid more money for better kit and got worse! :unsure::mad:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
CRC have brand x posts on special just now for £90 again.
Pretty good buy at that price. if you get the newer version the remote is decent now too.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
using it for what though?

GT85 is a cleaner and water displacer. Not a lubricant and as such it evaporates leaving the surface you've sprayed it on dry. It'll also break down grease if mixed/sprayed into a greased moving component.
If you're using it on the shaft of your post to clean it, spray it on a cloth first and wipe away from the seal.otherwise you're fooling yourself that it's doing any good. most mechanical droppers take 1min to open the top seal and inspect/clean/re-grease without removing them from the bike. I'd suggest doing this instead.

Read the can again.... its a lubricant as well containing PTFE and works very well for stanchions by applying a thin coat of PTFE helping the tight and sticky wiper seals. (y)
Grease is for the inside key ways and doesn't really help the wiper seals. As I've said I've used if it for years on stanchions with no detrimental affect. Yes you certainly wouldn't want any amount of it inside the post which would help to dissolve the much needed grease.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
CRC have brand x posts on special just now for £90 again.
Pretty good buy at that price. if you get the newer version the remote is decent now too.

I did see those thanks.... but I'm not paying a penny more! At the price of this bike was I expect it to work properly and if it continues to be a pain I shall be getting Specialized to replace it with something that does work and that may well have to be the X fusion Manic.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
on stanchions with no detrimental affect

leonardo.gif

You just keep doing that then.

Reactions: Dax

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
It also helps to turn the bike upside down for a few minutes after cleaning and every ride. This allows the foam sponges within the wiper seals to get soaked with internal fork oil again. Actually its probably better to do this just before each ride.
(y)

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
It also helps to turn the bike upside down for a few minutes after cleaning and every ride. This allows the foam sponges within the wiper seals to get soaked with internal fork oil again. Actually its probably better to do this just before each ride.
(y)
Which is a plus for the 2019 levo adding/removing the battery. Others have seen that as a negative.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
using it for what though?

GT85 is a cleaner and water displacer. Not a lubricant and as such it evaporates leaving the surface you've sprayed it on dry. It'll also break down grease if mixed/sprayed into a greased moving component.
If you're using it on the shaft of your post to clean it, spray it on a cloth first and wipe away from the seal.otherwise you're fooling yourself that it's doing any good. most mechanical droppers take 1min to open the top seal and inspect/clean/re-grease without removing them from the bike. I'd suggest doing this instead.
@neils
I have come to find, Gary really knows his shit.
He’s spot on once again.

80psi. !!!!!!!
That gt85 really has stripped out all lubricant.
You’d want to hope it doesn’t get a sniff of lube, or you are going to need it surgically removed from your rectum.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yea, a little wet lube is fine as a stanchion a lubricant.
Clue's in the title.

wipe on wipe off Daniel son ;)

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
@neils
I have come to find, Gary really knows his shit.
He’s spot on once again.

80psi. !!!!!!!
That gt85 really has stripped out all lubricant.
You’d want to hope it doesn’t get a sniff of lube, or you are going to need it surgically removed from your rectum.

Fool!

The post is brand new!!! A wipe of GT85 on the stanchion won't of even touched the grease inside! That's if there is even any grease inside they all feel terrible and grindy from new.

Failed again on yesterdays ride even at 80psi!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Fool!

The post is brand new!!! A wipe of GT85 on the stanchion won't of even touched the grease inside! That's if there is even any grease inside they all feel terrible and grindy from new.

Failed again on yesterdays ride even at 80psi!

Was it yourself you were referring to as a fool ?

I’m going to guess yes, as only a fool would pump up the command post to 100psi then leave it at 80psi and think it’s fixed, when the command post is rated to a max of 20psi.
Only a fool, would try such foolish things on a “brand new post” and ask on a forum instead of taking it for warranty. And only a fool would think gt85 is a great lubricant. And if you were not trying to use it as a lubricant, then what is the purpose of wiping it on and rubbing it off, other than it attracts dust and thus it gets dragged into ever nook and cranny. Maybe this is why it seems gritty in operation ?‍♂️

So if you were referring to yourself as a fool, then you’re quite right.

And now for some helpful advice. If the post is as new as you state it is, ffs, take it back and get a warranty claim.
You are close enough to Chris at Berkshire cycles ? Surely he could sort it out for you.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

I’m going to guess yes, as only a fool would pump up the command post to 100psi then leave it at 80psi and think it’s fixed, when the command post is rated to a max of 20psi.
Only a fool, would try such foolish things on a “brand new post” and ask on a forum instead of taking it for warranty. And only a fool would think gt85 is a great lubricant. And if you were not trying to use it as a lubricant, then what is the purpose of wiping it on and rubbing it off, other than it attracts dust and thus it gets dragged into ever nook and cranny. Maybe this is why it seems gritty in operation ?‍♂️

And now for some helpful advice. If the post is as new as you state it is, ffs, take it back and get a warranty claim.
You are close enough to Chris at Berkshire cycles ? Surely he could sort it out for you.
I think the new command post on 2019 models are quite different and running pressures up to 100 psi.

Karsten

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I think the new command post on 2019 models are quite different and running pressures up to 100 psi.

Karsten
Yeah, that’s a maybe, and not confirmed by Neil’s before he pumped it up to such pressure. As he said he could not find any info on pressures for the larger diameter post.
It is however plausible given the WU dropper is 70-100psi. But not confirmed on the new post.

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Yeah, that’s a maybe, and not confirmed by Neil’s before he pumped it up to such pressure. As he said he could not find any info on pressures for the larger diameter post.
It is however plausible given the WU dropper is 70-100psi. But not confirmed on the new post.

According to manual below it states initial pressure 70 Psi and maximum pressure 100 Psi, I don't know if that helps.

Look at page 4:
SPECIALIZED USER MANUAL COMMAND POST WU - PDF

Karsten

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK

You are the fool my friend for not reading through the full thread before commenting.
I did state these new posts run from 60psi (recommended) and up to 100psi.
So at present I’m still experimenting and 80psi is perfectly within the parameters and yes it’s already been into Chris at Berks Cycles where they fitted a new cable when I fist discovered an issue with it over a week ago. The new cable hasn’t sorted the issue. From my experience as a precision engineer, I’d put it down too much stiction in the head seal.
Oh and GT85 is a lubricant!

See ya!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
You are the fool my friend for not reading through the full thread before commenting.
I did state these new posts run from 60psi (recommended) and up to 100psi.
So at present I’m still experimenting and 80psi is perfectly within the parameters and yes it’s already been into Chris at Berks Cycles where they fitted a new cable when I fist discovered an issue with it over a week ago. The new cable hasn’t sorted the issue. From my experience as a precision engineer, I’d put it down too much stiction in the head seal.
Oh and GT85 is a lubricant!

See ya!
My bad, spray away precision engineer. I’m glad Chris could sort out your simple cable issue.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I even tried briefly upping the pressure to 100 psi and a light squirt of GT85 on the stanchion
Does anyone know what pressure these new 34.9 are supposed to run at? I've looked everywhere in the new bike manuals and on the Spec website and nothing I can't find anything about these new posts.
I read a review on the WU version and it states 15-20psi which is what I used to run in my older 30.9mm.

My bad again, I thought this is where you stated you could not find the specs on what pressure to run and had already upped the pressure to 100psi.
I guess I could of got it wrong. Carry on precision engineer, I guess I am the fool after all, silly me.
?

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The simple way to solve this is to chuck the post in the bin and get a decent one! ?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Fwiw, my Wu still works perfectly with no complaints. Of course, I'm not an engineer so I have never attempted to lubricate it.

Dwazzer

Oct 10, 2018
Cumbria UK
A quick question...after cleaning my bike, I squirted MucOff MO94 spray all over my bike (obviously not the brakes!) is there any issue with it going on the fork stanchions or seat post? ?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
A quick question...after cleaning my bike, I squirted MucOff MO94 spray all over my bike (obviously not the brakes!) is there any issue with it going on the fork stanchions or seat post? ?
It's only include PTFE, but dunno how many percent. For stanchions I rather use pure silicon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles