Any chance a coil shock will work?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Oh my. I have L. But i can try to measure any dimensions you need.
Of course i can try to "copy" that cecal with some paper, but ... You know... :)

If you can give me measurements i will gladly make decals in any color combo. the top tube is pretty easy to apply. the chain stays take a lot of skill which I have since I wrap cars for a living but can include those as well and you can give it a shot.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
First ride with coil today. Love it! Traction in chunky stuff is way better. Bear in min i have the base model so the airshock was not plush before.
Run a 550 spring and that is too much even for my 98kg. Butt naked. No pictures sorry ?
Can not get enough sag...
Anyone running a progressive coil? I guess the bike is fine without?!?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
First ride with coil today. Love it! Traction in chunky stuff is way better. Bear in min i have the base model so the airshock was not plush before.
Run a 550 spring and that is too much even for my 98kg. Butt naked. No pictures sorry ?
Can not get enough sag...
Anyone running a progressive coil? I guess the bike is fine without?!?

I am running a progressive coil from Cane Creek. Got the valt progressive 510-600lbs. Love it.

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
On a normal bike I would have gotten the 450lb and up spring but it being an ebike I wanted the next one up for the weight of the bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As an FYI Markus Flossmann the owner of YT's personal Decoy is running what looks to be either a Fast or Push coil shock

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 09.31.20.png

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Man love your decoy! How does the 180 fork feel? I just got a 20’ Fox 36 e-bike 160 fork to replace the the Yari. I bought the 180 air shaft in hopes to bring the front end/BB up a little bit but was worried about the handling. Also does vorsprung tune it to your riding style/weight specifically and do you have to send it out or just buy the kit? Thanks!

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Man love your decoy! How does the 180 fork feel? I just got a 20’ Fox 36 e-bike 160 fork to replace the the Yari. I bought the 180 air shaft in hopes to bring the front end/BB up a little bit but was worried about the handling. Also does vorsprung tune it to your riding style/weight specifically and do you have to send it out or just buy the kit? Thanks!

You just buy the kit and get a spring for your weight. I got a couple different spring rates so I could get a feel for the right one. It is pretty easy to install yourself as well. The Yari is a decent fork and can be made into a great fork easily and relatively cheaply. i wouldn't use the fox fork. Fox has great products but a lack luster quality control. def go with the 180 airshaft and a 2.0 damper. you wont regret it.

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
Eventually I ended up putting a Rock Shox Super Deluxe Coil on Decoy. The bike was made for the spring, I'm super impressed with how it works, how much traction you have no matter what surface you run on. I caught the shock at a price of 400 euros and I put 25 euros per coil. The chosen spring is 151mm and 500lbs. I have 95kg with all the equipment.
IMG_20200629_193912.jpg
IMG_20200629_193955.jpg
IMG_20200629_194010.jpg

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Intrigued by the possibility to run a coil on the Decoy. Since I have not changed a rear shock before, I’m a bit overwhelmed with the different standards and sizes. If I was changing to a coil from my 2019 Decoy CF Pro, what hardware do I need to get besides the shock and coil spring?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Intrigued by the possibility to run a coil on the Decoy. Since I have not changed a rear shock before, I’m a bit overwhelmed with the different standards and sizes. If I was changing to a coil from my 2019 Decoy CF Pro, what hardware do I need to get besides the shock and coil spring?

That and the spacers need to come off your current shock or get new spacers.

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Eventually I ended up putting a Rock Shox Super Deluxe Coil on Decoy. The bike was made for the spring, I'm super impressed with how it works, how much traction you have no matter what surface you run on. I caught the shock at a price of 400 euros and I put 25 euros per coil. The chosen spring is 151mm and 500lbs. I have 95kg with all the equipment. View attachment 34626 View attachment 34627 View attachment 34628
Damn that’s probably one of the best looking Decoy’s I’ve every seen! The coil really does look right at home on it.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Speak to TF Tuned in the UK, very friendly and ready to give advice on spring rates etc, they have all the different brands of shock and spring and will fit the mounting hardware for you too, worth the postage to Finland I reckon (y)

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Speak to TF Tuned in the UK, very friendly and ready to give advice on spring rates etc, they have all the different brands of shock and spring and will fit the mounting hardware for you too, worth the postage to Finland I reckon (y)
I’m assuming they ship worldwide? But I’ll definitely look into it. Thx!

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland

I will. Thanks.

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
I was replying to Mauko from Finland, I'd have thought in the US there are similar shops to TF Tuned and would be cheaper shipping etc? Definitely worth it though!!!
Yeah I’m still fairly new to this forum. I get message in my box and assume it’s for me lol. I was wondering why you mentioned Finland. I found a couple in the states where you can ship it too, but seems TF Tuned/Vorsprung seem to get mentioned constantly so I’d

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
Ok I cut myself off. Anyway, on the TF tuned website, the spring calculator is asking for the wheel travel on the Decoy. Anyone happen to know number. Thx!

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado

Worth every penny....

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
And costs quite a few pennies. I’m not sure I would be able to appreciate the difference between the 11-6 and something costing about half its price.
Yeah I agree. I was just about to purchase an 11/6 when I found it for sale for $780 as opposed to the normal $1200. Not sure why it was on sale b/c they never are at ProBikeSupply. But anyway, I too was worried I wouldn’t have a clue what high v low end feels never using a coil. I just bought a cheap 19’ Fox Van. Assuming it evens fits properly, I’ll try to update on here what a “low end” one feels like.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Yeah I agree. I was just about to purchase an 11/6 when I found it for sale for $780 as opposed to the normal $1200. Not sure why it was on sale b/c they never are at ProBikeSupply. But anyway, I too was worried I wouldn’t have a clue what high v low end feels never using a coil. I just bought a cheap 19’ Fox Van. Assuming it evens fits properly, I’ll try to update on here what a “low end” one feels like.

My guess is that the discounted 11.6 was the prior generation and not the newer one specifically designed for e-bike. I'd be surprised to find a newer 11.6 at discount. The new model is a significant upgrade over the prior, with spherical bearings, hydraulic bottom out and a steel shaft designed to handle the forces of an e-bike.

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US
My guess is that the discounted 11.6 was the prior generation and not the newer one specifically designed for e-bike. I'd be surprised to find a newer 11.6 at discount. The new model is a significant upgrade over the prior, with spherical bearings, hydraulic bottom out and a steel shaft designed to handle the forces of an e-bike.
Yeah I bet you’re right. It didn’t even say the year. It was on sale last December. I didn’t even know 11/6 made one for e-bike now. That’s awesome though. I’m assuming for any coil on an e-bike you need to run a higher Spring weight then normal? I’m having trouble narrowing that down right now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles