Wouldn't any LBS work on a YT?

bertschb

Aug 30, 2020
Anywhere
I ordered a YT Decoy Elite three weeks ago. It seems some people are concerned about having to send their bikes back to YT for service. Wouldn't any bike shop work on a YT bike for anything other than the frame? Everything else on the bike is supplied by a 3rd party that all manufacturers use.

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to send their bike back to YT, unless it was a warranty issue or something to do with the (YT Specific) battery ?‍♂️

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My LBS had no problems working on my YT Capra as all the tech on it was standard. Any LBS would deal with all the normal fit out kit, but they would have to have been trained to work on the electrical stuff and have the diagnostic kit etc.

Warranty claims for mtb or emtb would be another matter.

I took my Focus Jam2 to a Focus dealer that was much closer to me than the Focus dealer I had bought the bike from. I had zero problems with either dealer, both great. It was just that one was a lot closer. The closer one was happy to process warranty claims, provided I paid £35 to do so. I had no problem with that.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
The big issue would be with a warranty issue. And with the extra tech in an eMTB (and the regularity of motor and component failures), it's a reasonable concern. I personally would not buy an eMTB from a direct-to-consumer only company. I did once, and it was not pleasant, but I went against my better judgement and learned my lesson.

bertschb

Aug 30, 2020
Anywhere
My problem right now is availability of e-bikes. I rented a Levo a month ago and liked it so much I sold my Stumpjumper and started shopping for a Levo. Bad mistake as nobody has any of the models I want in stock in my size. I checked out the Decoy Elite and you get top shelf components for half the price of the Levo - which I can't get anyway.

I rode my mountain bike daily for exercise and now I'm grounded. It's REALLY hard sitting around getting fat while I wait for the Decoy to show up. I ordered mine two weeks ago and it said 11/11/20 availability at that time.

Good to hear folks have no problem getting their YT's worked on at their LBS. We're two hours from the YT Mill in San Clemente for most of the year so getting it back to YT for a major warranty issue wouldn't be a problem. But, we spend summers in Central Oregon so hopefully no frame problems while we're in Oregon!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I have a clockwork mtb direct to the public Canyon Torque and have never had any issues getting it worked on by LBS's. Actually received many compliments from bike mechanics at the 2 places I toghle back and forth from for repairs/servicing.

Albeit emtbs have much more complexity due to the possibility of motor and battery issues, it could be challenging finding an LBS that would have the expertise to diagnose and repair an emtb in which they are not an authorized dealer.

I live an hour from the YT Millworks in southern California so wouldn't be too big of an issue to drop off at YT for warranty repairs. Would highly recommend researching bike shops that specialize in ebike repairs and/or custom built ebikes. We have a shop in San Diego and the owner/master mechanics have encountered all types of issues and are very savy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles