Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
First time with the after market X2 230x65 MY 2022 on my KSL Comp frame. Great improvement over the shitty stock Performance X shock.
Is working pretty well on the bike. Actually I don’t feel the urgency to switch over to coil. Bike feels pretty poppy and responsive. Had DHX2 on my Decoy and like the feel of X2 on KSL better. One day I might try the DHX2 on KSL, although as with Enduro I think the suspension kinematic suits an air shock better.
Good to hear. Just got my comp this week and will put my after market 230x65 X2 on after I swap parts from my levo sl.

Mind sharing your X2 settings?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I took the settings from Specialized suspension calculator for S-Works KSL, reduced LSC to 2 clicks, though. There ist room to play, of course.

in terms of improvement , what do you notice most? The factory x2 seems to be a great deal better than the performance x2 per the few reports I have read, but I am curious how it’s noticeable. I am a assuming that coming from the float x would show a bigger difference though

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Basically small bump sensitivity and repetitive square hits compliance. Float X was completely overwhelmed in this department with the bike. I can’t really get how this shock could be speced on such killer bike as the KSL. Float X2 factory makes the bike ride like expected, i.e. for me similar to my reference bike the Enduro. If you want more ground hugging there is always the coil option.

Last edited:

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Finally got my ksl comp this week. The bottom bracket play that my shop was concerned with was within specs according to specialized. It very minimal and my levo sl had same amount of play. Appreciate my shop for double checking.

Tons of rain in the pnw but got out today in a brief weather window between storms. Added 2 volume bands to my factory X2 and 250 psi for my 195 lb body. Felt pretty good, had one bottom out on a bigger hit. Dialed in a bit more high speed comp. Bike is long and slack. Honestly feels a lot like my commencal meta sx but 14lbs lighter! Feels very confidence inspiring and much more geared to ripping dh trails than my levo sl. Probably sell the levo sl. Rear is way for stiffer than levo sl. Really liking my 1st day on it and know it will get better as I dial it in and make a few more cockpit upgrades and changes.

Last edited:

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Added 2 volume bands to my factory X2 and 150 psi for my 195 lb body.

150 psi must’ve given you a lot of sag, no? I’m like 85 kg naked and end up with 19 mm sag on the 230x65 X2 at 240 psi. Lowering pressure and adding volume reducers is probably the way to go for more sensitivity from the top but then mid stroke support is going away.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
150 psi must’ve given you a lot of sag, no? I’m like 85 kg naked and end up with 19 mm sag on the 230x65 X2 at 240 psi. Lowering pressure and adding volume reducers is probably the way to go for more sensitivity from the top but then mid stroke support is going away.
Whoops, I mean 250psi

Chefkoch

Nov 18, 2021
Germany
I have just installed my new Push ElevenSix in my Kenevo SL Expert. Now I am irritated about the Torque Value for the Forward (Upper) Shock Eye Bolt in the official Manual.
22.5 seems very high to me 🙄 when i try to tighten it I can nearly hear a very little creaking, I stop tighten it immediately .I don‘t want to trash my Frame 🙈
The 25 Nm for the rear shock bolt, seem to be no problem.
What‘s your experience? Is it really recommend to tight it to 22.5 Nm?

Last edited:

Chefkoch

Nov 18, 2021
Germany
Here is the hint:
There is a typo on one of the torques. ….12,7 Nm is the correct value…found it at the end of the manual…did not recognize but now. Good that I stop thighing it more.
Super dangerous that in user Manual on the official HP the wrong Torque is still printed in the PDF…no amendment there….that manual was my source for the torques, because yesterday i didn’t have the physical manual near by.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Here is the hint:
There is a typo on one of the torques. ….12,7 Nm is the correct value…found it at the end of the manual…did not recognize but now. Good that I stop thighing it more.
Super dangerous that in user Manual on the official HP the wrong Torque is still printed in the PDF…no amendment there….that manual was my source for the torques, because yesterday i didn’t have the physical manual near by.

Oh, good to know. I tightened the shock upper bolt to those 22,5 Nm recommended in printed manual. Seemed odd to me as well, frame didn’t crack, though.
That’s really a major and dangerous bug in the manual.

D

Deleted member 7464

Is it possible to run 27.5 in the kenevo sl as I really don't like 29s,

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Oh, good to know. I tightened the shock upper bolt to those 22,5 Nm recommended in printed manual. Seemed odd to me as well, frame didn’t crack, though.
That’s really a major and dangerous bug in the manual.

What a nightmare - specialized don't offer subsequent owners the same frame warranty.

Sooo... do original owners get the frames checked before selling the bike, or risk having the buyer make a negligence claim against the seller ? Imagine if that frame cracks in use and the buyer gets injured because you over tightened that bolt!

Warranty claim before selling the bike because it came with faulty documentation and that mount might have been damaged ?

This could make the brose software fiasco seem like a minor inconvenience!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
WTF are you on about?

Caveat emptor in the UK; buyer beware. There are no warranty obligations on a private sale.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Is it possible to run 27.5 in the kenevo sl as I really don't like 29s,
Kenevo SL has a slightly high BB. (356mm)
fitting 27.5 Wheels will drop that by 19mm (so 337mm)
That's not really in the realms of super low for a normal 170mm bike. Just very low compared to most Emtbs. But in many ways the bike will ride better for it. Not everyone is going to gain benefit from a lower BB and it really won't be ideal if you're the type of rider to continue pedalling blindly at and into things instead of actually looking where you're going and planning where to pedal and where not to.

D

Deleted member 7464

Kenevo SL has a slightly high BB. (356mm)
fitting 27.5 Wheels will drop that by 19mm (so 337mm)
That's not really in the realms of super low for a normal 170mm bike. Just very low compared to most Emtbs. But in many ways the bike will ride better for it. Not everyone is going to gain benefit from a lower BB and it really won't be ideal if you're the type of rider to continue pedalling blindly at and into things instead of actually looking where you're going and planning where to pedal and where not to.
Thanks for your help Gary,I just can't get on with 29s.ive had 27.5 on my levo for a while now and for me it made the bike a lot better.👍👍

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Apart from this big blue disc we live upon being a little larger than the UK, do your personal injury ambulance chasers have the ability to sue for negligence ?
For a private sale? No.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Here is the hint:

Can you please tell exactly where you found this information? Doublechecked the printed and the online version of the manual. There is nothing about a 12,7 nM torque. In one table the units Nm and lbf are switched which is quite obviously but should be corrected anyway.

Chefkoch

Nov 18, 2021
Germany
256604770_10220302108483331_4808319746034006822_n.jpg

Chefkoch

Nov 18, 2021
Germany
This is the answer on my Mail to Specialized about the problem ;-)....i have translated it to englisch

Hallo .......,

vielen Dank für deine E-Mail und den Hinweis auf diese zwei Fehler in unsere Kenevo SL Manuals.
Diese Fehler wurden erst behoben und ich habe dir hier in dieser E-Mail die Korrekten Manuals mit angehängt. Einmal den Auszug im Handbuch und einmal das PDF von unserer Homepage.

Die Homepage wird noch aktualisiert und das neue PDF wird mit dem alten ausgetauscht.

Ich möchte dir für deine wichtigen Infos entgegenkommen und dir einen Gutschein in Wert von 25€ schenken. Diesen kannst du auf unsere Homepage einlösen und dir was Schönes kaufen

"
Hello ......,

Thank you for your email and pointing out these two errors in our Kenevo SL manuals.
These errors were only fixed and I have attached the correct manuals to you in this email. Once the excerpt from the manual and once the PDF from our homepage.

The homepage is still being updated and the new PDF is exchanged with the old one.

I would like to meet you for your important information and give you a voucher worth € 25. You can redeem this on our homepage and buy something nice
"

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks for your help Gary,I just can't get on with 29s.ive had 27.5 on my levo for a while now and for me it made the bike a lot better.👍👍
My Enduro bike is a 170mm 27.5 YT Capra. But I run it with 26" wheels because I prefer the way they handle and like lowered BBs.
It's 30mm lower than a Kenevo SL. And no I don't suffer pedal strikes.
I don't really like 29" wheels either.
Even though I know I'm faster on them.

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
This is the answer on my Mail to Specialized about the problem ;-)....i have translated it to englisch

Hallo .......,

vielen Dank für deine E-Mail und den Hinweis auf diese zwei Fehler in unsere Kenevo SL Manuals.
Diese Fehler wurden erst behoben und ich habe dir hier in dieser E-Mail die Korrekten Manuals mit angehängt. Einmal den Auszug im Handbuch und einmal das PDF von unserer Homepage.

Die Homepage wird noch aktualisiert und das neue PDF wird mit dem alten ausgetauscht.

Ich möchte dir für deine wichtigen Infos entgegenkommen und dir einen Gutschein in Wert von 25€ schenken. Diesen kannst du auf unsere Homepage einlösen und dir was Schönes kaufen

"
Hello ......,

Thank you for your email and pointing out these two errors in our Kenevo SL manuals.
These errors were only fixed and I have attached the correct manuals to you in this email. Once the excerpt from the manual and once the PDF from our homepage.

The homepage is still being updated and the new PDF is exchanged with the old one.

I would like to meet you for your important information and give you a voucher worth € 25. You can redeem this on our homepage and buy something nice
"

Thanks for the tip, I adjusted mine to the right Nm.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
My sled in it‘s current evolution state. Just to put some picture in this place.

S4 Comp frame blaze/black
180 38 front
230x65 X2 shock
E13 Trs race carbon wheels
Maxxis Shorty Gen 2 2.4“ DD MaxxGrip front tubeless
Magic Mary SuperTrail Soft 2.4“ rear tubeless
DMR Vault pedals
OneUp 180 dropper
OneUp carbon bar 800 mm 35 mm rise
Truvativ Descendant stem 40 mm
Code RSC brakes 220/200 disc
AXS XX1 Derailleur with og Eagle GX cassette and NX chain
Total weight 19.75 kg

Still not sure if I like air on this bike. DHX with a 550 coil is waiting. The color is polarizing but looks pretty dope in dark autumn woods.
Attention: check your crank torque. My cranks almost fell off on today’s ride!!!

IMG_3837.jpg

Last edited:

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
"Attention: check your crank torque. My cranks almost fell off on today’s ride!!!" My cranks were creaky and I decided to check. Both cranks were loose and needed to be torqued as well.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
don’t I remember that you switched to 100mm cranks because of the known pedal strikes with ebikes being lower than any bike in history BBS? Think I remember that right.
He doesn't have cranks...just pedals screwed into the drive shaft of the motor. Shuttles everything.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"Attention: check your crank torque. My cranks almost fell off on today’s ride!!!" My cranks were creaky and I decided to check. Both cranks were loose and needed to be torqued as well.
Even correctly torqued Shimano motors throw cranks. Its a flawed design. Search the forum for my posts on the subject and you will find the reason and solution.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles