2021 Trek Rail 7 - Brake Upgrade

coregrind

Dec 16, 2020
BEAVERTON, OREGON USA
I have the shimano 203mm stock rotor and SLX caliper on the zeb now. Wanting to go to 220mm rotor and use the old caliper.

Looks like the Zeb has a post mount that is M6 with 74mm center to center. I think I need to get the hope tech part number HBMQ to move the caliper from 203 to 220mm.
The Zeb has a 200mm post mount specification, not 203mm. If it’s a Hope adaptor, you’ll likely want HBMP for the 220mm rotor.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Need to own up to making a snap judgement on the original M6100 / M6120 brakes. After adjusting the lever contact point and bedding in the pads these brakes work fine for my "trail riding" and general use. It took couple of rides for the pads to bed-in and quiet down but now seem to work just fine. I know better than to make judgments like this before hand but don't want others to think they aren't up to the task.

This isn't to say that other riders will think the same. I'm a casual trail rider, no down hill or enduro type. If more stopping power is required I'll try the suggest sintered pads and fluid options. Enjoying this bike a lot right now!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've just spent the last 5 days riding in Scotland; Dalbeattie, Mabie, Glentress and Innerleithen trail centres and Inners, Yair, Golfie and GT off-piste. My brakes are stock except for Unbderbike sintered pads and at no point did I think I needed better brakes. Bigger balls, yes, but not bigger brakes... :ROFLMAO:

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I've just spent the last 5 days riding in Scotland; Dalbeattie, Mabie, Glentress and Innerleithen trail centres and Inners, Yair, Golfie and GT off-piste. My brakes are stock except for Unbderbike sintered pads and at no point did I think I needed better brakes. Bigger balls, yes, but not bigger brakes... :ROFLMAO:
Yep but make sure you check out how thin your rotors are now?

aviserated

Aug 18, 2021
Oxford GA
The stock Tekno brakes that came on my Rail 5 are more than adequate for my needs.

Although I did order a Zeb Ultimate fork and Sram AXS wireless shifter...both were on sale 20 percent off.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Do you mean that stock rotors don't stand sintered pads or something else?
I'm saying that it sounds like Doom got a hell of a lot of riding in. (y)
But yes I do worry that my rotors may be getting a bit thin with the sintered pads I'm running & the amount of sustained heavy braking I'm doing at the moment.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles