Other 2022 Kenevo SL Rumours ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
No but I wouldn’t care if mine was 4kg lighter , if it was low powered and the batter ran out after 3 climbs !
Give it a go mate, you migh actually enjoy it.
Riding a full weight ebike is like driving a tank, fun to roll over things but poor agility and nowhere near as much playfulness.
Also I get better range with the standard battery than any 500w/h battery and better range with the extender than 700w/h batteries.
Sure it lacks the outright punch of the FF bikes but it still smashes analogue’s on eco mode.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Give it a go mate, you migh actually enjoy it.
Riding a full weight ebike is like driving a tank, fun to roll over things but poor agility and nowhere near as much playfulness.
Also I get better range with the standard battery than any 500w/h battery and better range with the extender than 700w/h batteries.
Sure it lacks the outright punch of the FF bikes but it still smashes analogue’s on eco mode.

It would be nice to see a little more power thought, something around 50nm seems like it would be the sweet spot. Especially with the Orbea Rise having 60nm.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It would be nice to see a little more power thought, something around 50nm seems like it would be the sweet spot. Especially with the Orbea Rise having 60nm.
I agree, I figured it’s roughly half the size of the Brose so it should have at least 45nm which would be a decent upgrade. Maybe Specialized are just trialing it’s reliability in the real world before they update the power. I’m guessing the new Kenevo SL will have 40nm to offset the extra weight.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I agree, I figured it’s roughly half the size of the Brose so it should have at least 45nm which would be a decent upgrade. Maybe Specialized are just trialing it’s reliability in the real world before they update the power. I’m guessing the new Kenevo SL will have 40nm to offset the extra weight.
Wonder where they'll get the extra torque from if they go this route .... If they go more torque/power in some way, then it would definitely need a 480wh+ battery to compensate or you'd lose the SL's range/height.

Ponderings over porridge ..

So if a Mahle is 35nm and consumes 300w at peaks - which delivers 240w due to efficiency losses (80% efficient). It runs a 48v system. So at present it has a limit of only 6.25 amps.

If you compare that to a Brose. That's 90nm which peaks at 720w draw (can go slightly higher on fully charged battery) running 36v and pulls at a max of 20 amps.

I did have a thought in my head, but when I just tried it on paper I can't get it to work .. so ignore the ponderings ..

@Chris1969 said the Prime he rode pulled 300w, so in theory, it's the same as the SL. He thought it felt like it had more "punch" than the SL. So they could have tweaked things a bit. If they can get the motor to put out the same power at a lower RPM, then it will have more torque.

Wonder where they'll get the extra torque from if they go this route .... If they go more torque/power in some way, then it would definitely need a 480wh+ battery to compensate or you'd lose the SL's range/height.
Yes, there is no way around this. Torque is directly proportional to the current which means less range in the end.

As a side note, more torque means decreased efficiency in the system as well, especially if it was designed for lower torque output.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

So if a Mahle is 35nm and consumes 300w at peaks - which delivers 240w due to efficiency losses (80% efficient). It runs a 48v system. So at present it has a limit of only 6.25 amps.

If you compare that to a Brose. That's 90nm which peaks at 720w draw (can go slightly higher on fully charged battery) running 36v and pulls at a max of 20 amps.

I did have a thought in my head, but when I just tried it on paper I can't get it to work .. so ignore the ponderings ..

@Chris1969 said the Prime he rode pulled 300w, so in theory, it's the same as the SL. He thought it felt like it had more "punch" than the SL. So they could have tweaked things a bit. If they can get the motor to put out the same power at a lower RPM, then it will have more torque.
It can easily have more torque and the range will still be around the same as a 700wh battery. I get more range on turbo (with extender) than my brother with his 700 Kenevo and I’m on 20kgs.
45nm would be more than enough torque, if you need more than that then you probably don’t care about agility as your most likely unfit.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It can easily have more torque and the range will still be around the same as a 700wh battery. I get more range on turbo (with extender) than my brother with his 700 Kenevo and I’m on 20kgs.
That's what makes me wonder if they do up the power, they'd have to up the battery. People will expect similar range - without extender - to a 700 kenevo/levo setup.

Impressive you get 700 levo range with the extender in Turbo ..

I think this year will now end up being a cheap year .. there's too many good choices - so we can go with no choices ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
People will expect similar range - without extender - to a 700 kenevo/levo

and those people are idiots. Its a lightweight bike and the only way to make things light is by reducing size not adding to it.

That is the whole point to extender batteries, want more power add a battery.
I bought two batteries when I got my Sl, the second battery is still sealed in the packaging.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock

This really doesn't tell much until we have actual power output readings here (bike and rider) .

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Read the many posts on SL bikes, they are super efficient due to their low power. A few extra nm wont hurt their range that much (educated guess)
As for my power outputs, I don’t track rides as I have no interest but I would say I am an average rider at 85kgs kitted and of average to intermediate skill level.

As an example ride I did recently.
926m ascending 1684 descending 50.1km
All bikes mix of trail/Turbo bar the commie as he had an injury so mostly turbo

End of the ride battery %
5 ebikes
2 x Kenevo (Brose) 20% 90kg kitted
Focus (Bosch) ~20% 80kg kitted
Commie (shimano) Dead - 95kg kitted
SL 20kg(Mahl) with extender ~40% - 85kg kitted

Trust me, there is more than enough room for more torque with the current battery.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
s
I bought two batteries when I got my Sl, the second battery is still sealed in the packaging.
Ha. I bought a range extender with my SL (19kg). I’ve only used it twice, and only once actually needed it. The SL gives you a huge amount of range. I can easily ride 35km/1000m on pure turbo without needing the range extender. And that’s enough 95% of the time.

I will buy this new Kenevo if I can get my hands on one.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Ha. I bought a range extender with my SL (19kg). I’ve only used it twice, and only once actually needed it. The SL gives you a huge amount of range. I can easily ride 35km/1000m on pure turbo without needing the range extender. And that’s enough 95% of the time.

I will buy this new Kenevo if I can get my hands on one.
Yep I just love how people comment without ever having ridden one. Like the concept possibly can’t work.
My shop promised me first dibs, I’ll be very cross with them if they don’t come through. They’ve known I wanted a motorised Enduro before Specialized even had the concept.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

Sorry I forgot to comment to this,
The extent of my battery/power knowledge is plug, charge, drain and repeat.
I hope it has at least 10nm more torque as that would be perfect.
@Specialized Rider Care I know you can’t answer this but go back to your chiefs and make it happen.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Yep I just love how people comment without ever having ridden one. Like the concept possibly can’t work.
My shop promised me first dibs, I’ll be very cross with them if they don’t come through. They’ve known I wanted a motorised Enduro before Specialized even had the concept.

I’m in the same boat. I’ve bought a ‘21 SL and a ‘20 Enduro from the same LBS. Hoping they’ll hook me up/give preferential treatment with one of these in S5 when they’re unveiled. It’d be the perfect bike for what I ride (excepting that noise...)

Last edited:
Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’m in the same boat. I’ve bought an SL and an Enduro from the same LBS. Hoping they’ll hook me up/give preferential treatment with one of these in S5 when they’re unveiled. It’s be the perfect bike for what I ride (excepting that noise...)
Where as I love the noise, it help warn people I’m coming. I’m a proud, full no shame ebiker.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Bottom line most people just don't like or like to embrace change. I went from FF to SL and it took couple weeks to adjust to power, no biggie.

• Agree

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Bottom line most people just don't like or like to embrace change. I went from FF to SL and it took couple weeks to adjust to power, no biggie.

Doesn't apply to biking. We're always looking into new bikes, gear & mods. Heck, 90% of this forum is about bike tech, and maybe 10% of actually riding bikes.

What was there to adjust?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Doesn't apply to biking. We're always looking into new bikes, gear & mods. Heck, 90% of this forum is about bike tech, and maybe 10% of actually riding bikes.

What was there to adjust?
Adjusting myself to lower powered motor from full powered motor...

People pooh-poohing SL or low powered motor without having tried says to me they don't like change. Believe it or not, most of my friends won't even try a new brand of bike because they are so brand-loyal, talk about resistance to change. "I want to try an ebike but (insert favorite brand) doesn't make one" is typical comment I hear

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
@Christian I am sure there are plenty of fat people that can smoke you on the DH. Us huskys just need more torque for the climb but it doesn't mean we don't want it to handle like a proper race weapon :p

I hope that dual crown is still going to be an option. If not, it's an Enduro SL (which is cool). Different bike for a different purpose.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Oh no doubt they can but wouldn’t it be more efficient trying to make yourself handle like a proper race weapon than engineering a lightweight bike to suit the small percentage of people who are barely making the current bike weight limits as it is.

Harold

Oct 30, 2020
Brussels
Oh no doubt they can but wouldn’t it be more efficient trying to make yourself handle like a proper race weapon than engineering a lightweight bike to suit the small percentage of people who are barely making the current bike weight limits as it is.
Just wondering, have you ever ridden a levo SL? And better, did you tried full fat and SL back to back?
Because I did, and I can ensure you there is a real difference in handling between both, I'm not only talking about pedaling above the speed limit.
SL is simply more agile, and no need to be a pro racer to feel it!
Saying otherwise is pure non sense! No offence bud.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just wondering, have you ever ridden a levo SL? And better, did you tried full fat and SL back to back?
Because I did, and I can ensure you there is a real difference in handling between both, I'm not only talking about pedaling above the speed limit.
SL is simply more agile, and no need to be a pro racer to feel it!
Saying otherwise is pure non sense! No offence bud.
I think you might have missed where he's coming from .. and very much be doubting his experience !

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles