2019 Flyon Closer Look

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I am really bummed out that the flyon weighs 28kgs. Initially, I was not worried about the weight because I have tried other 24-25kg bikes and they were generally great for the feel I am looking for. My biggest concern was the long wheelbase, but now I am obsessing over the weight. I look forward to seeing more reviews and trying it myself.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
I really don't 'get' the hardtail version

and as for the motor I guess it would be a good match on a fat bike running 4inch tires

Also I reckon the weight will cause some jaw dropping moments when people try to lift it - I think the Kenevo could give some blokes a hernia, so this will be a disc slipper!

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I really don't 'get' the hardtail version

and as for the motor I guess it would be a good match on a fat bike running 4inch tires

Also I reckon the weight will cause some jaw dropping moments when people try to lift it - I think the Kenevo could give some blokes a hernia, so this will be a disc slipper!
It certainly won’t be going on your car roof rack or Motorhome lol. Heck it will only just go on a tow bar if you leave the kids bikes at home!

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
yep, im out also, its to much weight, if the Bike had been released for review i might have waited, looking at a Spectural On 9... The Flyon will be great for guys who are trading in their Enduro KTM'S, Hondas ETC. 120 nm, 28kg will be a god send and they wouldn't get the hassle from ramblers and farmers

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Holy shit!! This motor is INSANE!! I’ve just climbed stuff I’ve never completed on my Levo. It’s a whole new experience.

I’m riding a different bike but same motor.... it’s freakishly powerful. It adds a new dimension to riding again and the experience is like riding an EMTB for the first time ?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Holy shit!! This motor is INSANE!! I’ve just climbed stuff I’ve never completed on my Levo. It’s a whole new experience.

I’m riding a different bike but same motor.... it’s freakishly powerful. It adds a new dimension to riding again and the experience is like riding an EMTB for the first time ?

Wow so have you got one to test then Rob? Are you saying it's a better more fun ride than the Levo!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Wow so have you got one to test then Rob? Are you saying it's a better more fun ride than the Levo!
It’s a different brand that the motor was in, but exact TQ 120 that’s in the FLYON. It’s a different experience than the Levo for sure. Like an extreme EMTB experience. I haven’t laughed out loud that much for ages! Can’t wait to get the vid out to share!

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany

Thats the thing about the FLYON AllMtn which is hard to get your head around looking at the numbers. Yes its heavier but also so much more powerful, so when you are on the pedals it feels like the lightest bike in the world.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
It’s a different brand that the motor was in, but exact TQ 120 that’s in the FLYON. It’s a different experience than the Levo for sure. Like an extreme EMTB experience. I haven’t laughed out loud that much for ages! Can’t wait to get the vid out to share!
If you can, please tell us the weight of the bike you tried to have some perspective on Flyon. Was it also a 28kg bike?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thats the thing about the FLYON AllMtn which is hard to get your head around looking at the numbers. Yes its heavier but also so much more powerful, so when you are on the pedals it feels like the lightest bike in the world.

I have just put a deposit down on a Levo Comp for my wife Linda and even though she is not keen on the looks of the Flyon and is also put off by the weight it but it does seem really interesting I just wish there was more information on it as it is all last years videos etc and a review would be great at this time!

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA

Here in the US we have had access to powerful 1000w plus motors that will out climb bikes like the Levo easily for quite awhile now although perhaps not as refined as the TQ. But maybe I am reading it wrong and the TQ is a powerful 250w motor? I still don't see where Haibike is going with the Flyon.....

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
But maybe I am reading it wrong and the TQ is a powerful 250w motor?
I believe the TQ motor is the exact same hardware as used in their 900w motor - just rated different, probably with some kind of EU regulatory test workaround to get it accepted to go into a regular pedelec bike over here.

I still don't see where Haibike is going with the Flyon.....
I can, now I've tested the motor - it's now in a class of its own in terms of power (at least, for regular style 15.5MPH ebikes). I can now climb stuff that I couldn't on my Levo. With this motor into the frame of the Haibike I think its going to be a killer bike.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I believe the TQ motor is the exact same hardware as used in their 900w motor - just rated different, probably with some kind of EU regulatory test workaround to get it accepted to go into a regular pedelec bike over here.

I can, now I've tested the motor - it's now in a class of its own in terms of power (at least, for regular style 15.5MPH ebikes). I can now climb stuff that I couldn't on my Levo. With this motor into the frame of the Haibike I think its going to be a killer bike.

A killer bike if you do a lot of climbing I agree, but for just normal riding say across the North York Moors where we ride it might be just too much power but for someone who does a lot of steep long climbs I can imagine it would be great, I want to see that video Rob :)

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA

Actually it is not in a class of its own in terms of power as there are bikes distributed here in the states that have the Bafang Ultra integrated mid motor that has as much power and nm of torque with torque sensing PAS (that could be restricted easily to 15.5mph) but arguably not as sophisticated tech wise as the TQ. The Spitzing has been for sale here also with few takers but the ones that have gotten them like them.

And if Haibike can get a workaround to get a 900w bike into the 250w regulations there then more power to them, literally. However it looks like the Flyon might never be available to the US market anyway: Accell Reports Increase in Turn-Over Excluding North America

PON, at a 20% interest in Accell, has already pulled out their Focus and Kalkhoff brands from here.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
OK, but what about when you are not on the pedals? Does it magically get lighter on the downs? :unsure:

The additional mass may not matter during climbing phase given the extra power available, but coming back down it will make a huge difference, and that isn't one the motor can address when it isn't running. Lifting the front wheel on one of these is going to take very good technique and a lot of effort compared to the other leading 500Wh models with Shimano or Brose power and shorter chainstays.

Also don't forget that weight all still has to be pushed around by the rider and motor combined, so unless they have found a way to bend the laws of physics then range will suffer even at equivalent power modes to the competition. Up at the super high power modes it must drop even more despite the larger battery.

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...And if Haibike can get a workaround to get a 900w bike into the 250w regulations there then more power to them, literally.
I don't think any workaround is needed - the regs and testing regimen seem extremely grey on the whole 250W constant average limit, so they have probably just self certified agaisnt it. I am sure all the current systems are capable of far more than that (peak and constant ratings); I have brushless motors in some of my model aircraft that are physically far smaller but capable of 1KW plus at peak and 800-900W sustained.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I don't think any workaround is needed - the regs and testing regimen seem extremely grey on the whole 250W constant average limit, so they have probably just self certified agaisnt it. I am sure all the current systems are capable of far more than that (peak and constant ratings); I have far smaller brushless motors in some of my model aircraft that are physically smaller but capable of 1KW plus at peak and 800-900W sustained.
The whole 250w rating thing is BS. All these motors far exceed that. I know it's a specific way of testing that will grant the certification, but it's obvious that its just a paper exercise.
This TQ motor is capable of 75KM/h

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I have just put a deposit down on a Levo Comp for my wife Linda and even though she is not keen on the looks of the Flyon and is also put off by the weight it but it does seem really interesting I just wish there was more information on it as it is all last years videos etc and a review would be great at this time!
Unless she is a powerlifter in her spare time ;) I suspect she has chosen a far better bike for her.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
The Flyon will be great for guys who are trading in their Enduro KTM'S, Hondas ETC.
I am on the KTM UK forum & quite a few of the guys have bought an e-mtb due to the diminishing places to ride. The very reason I sold my Mx bikes :(.
I'm sure some killjoy will find a way to push us off the tracks etc. in due time.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Not sure I need it, in the peaks usually with steepness comes technicality and can you ride a very technical climb with that amount of power or does it become out of control and dangerous?

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Not sure I need it, in the peaks usually with steepness comes technicality and can you ride a very technical climb with that amount of power or does it become out of control and dangerous?

You can climb way more stuff, actually the weight helps in this respect as does the long geometry. It’s really in a different league uphill. There is loads of stuff on our local trails we can’t get anywhere close to clearing on any other bike.

1F8EE1FF-3B1D-46F3-BD74-55E62B1ABE47.jpeg

eebit

Patreon
Subscriber
Sep 27, 2018
Germany
I am on the KTM UK forum & quite a few of the guys have bought an e-mtb due to the diminishing places to ride. The very reason I sold my Mx bikes :(.
I'm sure some killjoy will find a way to push us off the tracks etc. in due time.

Same reason I switched to eMTB too.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire

I agree with you, we don't ride really steep climbs and if you're not good at technical climbs then you could be risking injury as yes the Flyon will get up the steep climbs but if for some reason you have to stop suddenly on a steep climb you have that heavy bike to hold onto and I can see in some situations that possibly dragging someone down the climb :)

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Got to post this here Rob, can’t wait until you try the Haibike FLYON with this motor. Such a well balanced and refined bike, and of course with this motor :)
This is restoring my faith in having reserved a Flyon. I have delivery date may 1st from my dealer. I will obviously try before buying, but anything that can bring that kind of reaction sounds like something worth having... obviously as with everything else there are pros and cons.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
You can climb way more stuff, actually the weight helps in this respect as does the long geometry. It’s really in a different league uphill. There is loads of stuff on our local trails we can’t get anywhere close to clearing on any other bike.

View attachment 11667

I wouldn’t call that technical, it’s steep, what happens when it’s full of loose stone and has rock steps to climb up?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles