2019 Flyon Closer Look

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why oh... why.. oh why go to the trouble of making the battery integrate into the downtube in an aesthetically pleasing almost stealth way and then design your top tube with the ugliest most stupid upwards bulge towards the front end of your frames?
Did they just completely ignore the fact they employ bar spinning backflipping dirtjumping legend Pilgs to promote their bikes?

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
That ezesty looks so nice, can't wait for the review of that. The haibike is not for me, looks too bulky and wierd for me, like something out of Tron.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Why oh... why.. oh why go to the trouble of making the battery integrate into the downtube in an aesthetically pleasing almost stealth way and then design your top tube with the ugliest most stupid upwards bulge towards the front end of your frames?
Did they just completely ignore the fact they employ bar spinning backflipping dirtjumping legend Pilgs to promote their bikes?
Brand identity I guess. It is kind of the calling card on all of their bikes, love it or loath it...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Does even one person actually love it?
Even if you like it aesthetically it's still stupid from a practicality point of view. (less clearance fo balls, bars/controls)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I can only assume they are trying to give it a moto feel. I agree with you though, from a functionality/practicality perspective there is no advantage and a few disadvantages.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can fiddle with a Fazua, and the TQ motor in the Flyon already comes in other bikes that are Speed Pedelecs so no doubt someone will have that sorted in due course.

D

Deleted member 1275

Does even one person actually love it?
Even if you like it aesthetically it's still stupid from a practicality point of view. (less clearance fo balls, bars/controls)

I wouldn't go so far as say I love it but I do really admire Haibike for taking their own path and its geometry and design is really growing on me....but would I buy one (cost aside) no. I do kinda like its aggressive 'moto' looks but for me it would attract way too much attention. Particularly due to my screams as it obliterates my junk up the ramp from frame to stem!. o_O

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its the bike i am most interested to ride, as i feel its either going to be mind-blowing or just a n other emtb with more shove.

I am always tempted by new bikes, and guilty of many an impulse purchase down the years, but it would take something revolutionary to get me to move on from my Vitus as i haven't yet tried another emtb which i have found to be better overall.

D

Deleted member 1275

Question about the TQ 120 Nm motor. More power is a good thing - I also very much enjoy my cars and motorcycles so to reiterate, more power is always welcome, but 120NM raises a question. Without some fundamental improvements in the physical grip provided by our tyres is 120NM 'almost' wasted? As the old Pirelli advert went, 'power is nothing without control' for all you guys younger than about 30 - picture Carl Lewis in starting blocks but wearing high heels!

Not wanting to start anything contentious here just interested in opinions - like I said I'm new to eMTB and new here too.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The interesting thing is how the software enables the motor to deliver the power - really for me thats the most interesting thing about any new motor over its total power output - all the motors are at a level where they don't really need more peak power, but how its delivered and how naturally is the key area of development

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I personally don't want any more power than the current Bosch/Shimano/Brose units provide, but until we can ride them it's all guesswork - it could still be great if the software is right. What is certain is that more power = less range, so buyers will have to use full power even more selectively than with current motors to ensure they get decent mileage. For this reason I am uncertain the TQ motor will be the transformative experience Haibike are claiming, at least until there is a leap forward in battery tech that delivers significantly increased (at least 30%) energy density.

D

Deleted member 1275

That's an absolutely fair point about software, how the power is delivered and battery tech. Even with great 'TC' that the software may deliver, even in dry conditions on steep root covered technical inclines I'm getting through to max pedal assist speed in no time at all in turbo mode, this lead me to my question.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but it would take something revolutionary to get me to move on from my Vitus as i haven't yet tried another emtb which i have found to be better overall.

Likewise. I don't see anything particularly groundbreaking about the flyon's geometry either. infact it's just fairly on trend with trail/enduro bike geometry with the exception of their chainstay lengths.
All 2019 Haibike FLYON models with TQ motor at a glance | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine
If these figures are to be believed the head angle is def in the right ballpark for me and even BB height looks to be nice and low. But they've gone the safe route of lengthening the chainstays for stability when lowering the BB would have been enough in my option for (descending anyway... where those H/As will shine). as soon as I saw the 470mm chainstaylength I lost interest in it entirely

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well we won’t be able to test ride any of them until well past June or later as that is when they are supposed to land. That is almost a year after they were first announced which is painfully slow in my opinion ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ebikers can't be trusted to climb or descend the shallowest of gradients with anything shorter with all that trail destroying weight and power beneath us ;)

444mm is right around world cup DH race bike stay length.
Schurters XC WC winning bike has 435mm (and it's a 29er)

57lb bike manuals hello hernia :p

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Question about the TQ 120 Nm motor. More power is a good thing - I also very much enjoy my cars and motorcycles so to reiterate, more power is always welcome, but 120NM raises a question. Without some fundamental improvements in the physical grip provided by our tyres is 120NM 'almost' wasted? As the old Pirelli advert went, 'power is nothing without control' for all you guys younger than about 30 - picture Carl Lewis in starting blocks but wearing high heels!

Not wanting to start anything contentious here just interested in opinions - like I said I'm new to eMTB and new here too.

pirell2c.jpg

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
Question about the TQ 120 Nm motor. More power is a good thing - I also very much enjoy my cars and motorcycles so to reiterate, more power is always welcome, but 120NM raises a question.

As a nut with high power cars (and a history of motorbikes to) i always like more power but i do wonder at what point will trail destruction become undeniably obvious if new torque standards are set?

100 rider using leg power vs 100 riders using 60nm vs 100 riders using 120nm. Would there be a difference?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I don’t get the trail destruction issue - you can ride uphill faster on an EMTB, but on the straights and down it’s the same as any other bike

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
I don’t get the trail destruction issue - you can ride uphill faster on an EMTB, but on the straights and down it’s the same as any other bike

So you think there is zero difference on flat techy stuff if you have 120nm motor +pedalling vs just pedalling.

There is a point where these things will start to rip up trails, yes, even on flat tech stuff as riders will start doing 25km/h into corners they'd normally enter at 17 but they will do that 5x a ride instead of 2x. more usage, higher speed, gunna be more wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJR

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Interesting in the video neither of the Haibike dudes would pick the "E-bike of tomorrow" matched with its "insane figures" over the Zesty. The design is just too wild for today and that elephants leg down tube is just fugly and almost laughable! Plus you have to wait until next June which will be on the cusp of 2020 releases.

Phantomtracer

Sep 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
Likewise. I don't see anything particularly groundbreaking about the flyon's geometry either. infact it's just fairly on trend with trail/enduro bike geometry with the exception of their chainstay lengths.
All 2019 Haibike FLYON models with TQ motor at a glance | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine
If these figures are to be believed the head angle is def in the right ballpark for me and even BB height looks to be nice and low. But they've gone the safe route of lengthening the chainstays for stability when lowering the BB would have been enough in my option for (descending anyway... where those H/As will shine). as soon as I saw the 470mm chainstaylength I lost interest in it entirely

Totally agree, chainstay is too long.

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
They probably determined that with that much power when going up steep hills, it's going to take a chainstay that long to keep the front tire on the ground. With my present Haibike I find my front end coming up occasionally. I have to remember to move my body forward. We're not use to the power, so depending on how the power is with the TC motor, a longer chainstay may change your mind later, depending on how it handles.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles