YT Decoy Shimano Steps E8000 Speed Sensor Wire

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
Hi All

had a bit of a nightmare tonight, long story short my pedal caught the speed sensor cable which was very slack as the clip h holding the cable had come off the inside of the swing arm. Ive spilt the cable in half just before it enters the frame.

It all powers on fine, but the WO11 message appears a few seconds after pedalling as it can't detect the speed. I tried taping the split cable together to see if it would work but it doesn't, i imagine i've stretched the cable internally perhaps.

is this cable an easy to find replacement? the biggest headache I'm seeing is actually channeling it back through the frame up the the shimano display on the bars.

i appreciate any help!
Cheers

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Hi,
I believe it is this part SM-DUE10, so ues, you can get it as an aftermarket part.

Also I believe the cable goes to the speed sensor port on the motor rather than to the bar, which does not make things any easier as you will have to drop the motor to install the wire.

Subzilla

Jan 13, 2020
NW UK
Hi, it’s not too difficult to drop the battery, the speed sensor is an easy swap out, make sure you use the shimano tool to disconnect and reconnect and don’t over tighten the sensor fixings. You can get the motor removed without removing the cranks but you’ll have to remove the chain guide.

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
Hi,

The part number is Shimano Steps SM-DUE11 and it is an easy to find replacement part, either from bigger stores or online.

The cable connects to the motor, not to the display. You need to channel it through the frame to the motor, but that is no problem. You need to remove the motor, it is a bit tricky but doable if you're somewhat skilled. Watch out for the main connector when you drop the motor, it is very short. You can find instructions in this thread.

I hope that helps.

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
Hi,

The part number is Shimano Steps SM-DUE11 and it is an easy to find replacement part, either from bigger stores or online.

The cable connects to the motor, not to the display. You need to channel it through the frame to the motor, but that is no problem. You need to remove the motor, it is a bit tricky but doable if you're somewhat skilled. Watch out for the main connector when you drop the motor, it is very short. You can find instructions in this thread.

I hope that helps.

shimano1.JPG

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
Hi All

had a bit of a nightmare tonight, long story short my pedal caught the speed sensor cable which was very slack as the clip h holding the cable had come off the inside of the swing arm. Ive spilt the cable in half just before it enters the frame.

It all powers on fine, but the WO11 message appears a few seconds after pedalling as it can't detect the speed. I tried taping the split cable together to see if it would work but it doesn't, i imagine i've stretched the cable internally perhaps.

is this cable an easy to find replacement? the biggest headache I'm seeing is actually channeling it back through the frame up the the shimano display on the bars.

i appreciate any help!
Cheers

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
If you can route cable through to motor you can just remove plastic cover and feed cable to there with no need to remove motor at all it’s good practice to clean these ports regular as the collect dust then give you the dreaded e10 error code

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
If you can route cable through to motor you can just remove plastic cover and feed cable to there with no need to remove motor at all it’s good practice to clean these ports regular as the collect dust then give you the dreaded e10 error code

Decoy does not have the plastic cover. Motor cover is part of the frame.

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
All, thanks for your input.

We dropped the motor and removed the speed sensor cable. I purchased the SM-DUE10 sensor as suggested above, but it turns out its actually a DUE11 cable thats used on these (for future ref) as the sensor is slightly different.

I managed to salvage the existing cable by cutting the magnet reciever and the plug going into the motor off, and then making a new lead from these. Good as new! I've returned the DUE10 cable now.

Im not very technical, but my friends who dropped the motor commented on how easy it is to drop with a bit of care and patience. Not much play with the cable lengths but between two people its fine to work with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles