Water tightness on Shimano STEPS E8000?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had my Focus Jam2 since Jan'19, so I've been through two winters in the UK, which thanks to global warming are wet, wet, wet! OK, I don't shove a hose up the motor area and I don't ride though rivers either. But I do ride normally, ie through massive puddles, in the rain etc. And the bike is on my tow-bar rack when I'm doing 70mph in the rain. I have not had any problems at all.

I removed the motor guard for the first time a month ago and there was hardly any muck in there, just a bit of dust. Any mud that may have accumulated had probably tuned to dust and fallen out.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have found with several different bikes and motors a lot of the issue is the shops assembling them. Speshy stuffed up with their 2019 Levos and quickly put out a fix, but mostly it is the shops assembling them either have zero experience with ebikes, or more often not having whoever is assembling them not having proper training.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I think the bigger issues is the battery and power connections points. But I cannot say from personal experience as I just got the bike and haven’t experienced winter riding yet.

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
I have had my Focus Jam2 since Jan'19, so I've been through two winters in the UK, which thanks to global warming are wet, wet, wet! OK, I don't shove a hose up the motor area and I don't ride though rivers either. But I do ride normally, ie through massive puddles, in the rain etc. And the bike is on my tow-bar rack when I'm doing 70mph in the rain. I have not had any problems at all.

I removed the motor guard for the first time a month ago and there was hardly any muck in there, just a bit of dust. Any mud that may have accumulated had probably tuned to dust and fallen out.
Same here. had 2 bikes with Shimano motors. Bullet (and water) proof. So good all-round I would be very reluctant to buy a non-shimano bike. My current commencal has 2,000 HARD miles, always turbo, and battery-motor are like new.

Last edited:

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
Same here. had 2 Shimano motors. Bullet (and water) proof. So good all-round I would be very reluctant to buy a non-shimano bike.
Amen to the bullet proof. I cracked my motor cover going over a log the other day and had no reservations about the motor still operating. I’ve been through some big creeks and so far so good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles