YT Decoy Elite-Want to convert from Shimano XT to SRAM AXS

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Waiting for my new Decoy to arrive and want to switch out the Shimano XT shifter, rear mech, cassette, chainring and only if necessary, the cranks. Has anyone had any experience with this or similar upgrades? Bike I'm pilfering from has SRAM AXS controller, cranks, chain and rear mech.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Yes. I converted to SRAM
1. You'll need a SRAM XD driver for the cassette
2. If it's a "shadow" Shimano RD, then you'll need a new RD hanger from YT
3. There is no need to replace the cranks or chainring
4. If chain is new, 12 spd shimano should work with 12 spd SRAM. If chain is worn or 11 spd then expect problems.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Have both AXS and XT 12 speed on bikes and honestly wouldn’t do the AXS again. Personally prefer the feel and shift of XT 12 speed. Only thing that’s cool about AXS is wireless bling, nothing else about it is better than XT in my opinion.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
If you want electric shifting, I would go with Di2. When you hook it up to the Shimano motor you get much better shifting performance than AXS.
I run AXS currently and I am not a fan of 12-speed. If you blow on the derailleur or look at it funny the alignment gets thrown off and the shifting goes to shit.
Shimano 12-Speed has been a mixed bag. On an acoustic bike if you back pedal the chain drops a couple of gears on the cassette. The shifting also has a vague feeling to it.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Yes. I converted to SRAM
1. You'll need a SRAM XD driver for the cassette
2. If it's a "shadow" Shimano RD, then you'll need a new RD hanger from YT
3. There is no need to replace the cranks or chainring
4. If chain is new, 12 spd shimano should work with 12 spd SRAM. If chain is worn or 11 spd then expect problems.
Thanks for the input!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Have both AXS and XT 12 speed on bikes and honestly wouldn’t do the AXS again. Personally prefer the feel and shift of XT 12 speed. Only thing that’s cool about AXS is wireless bling, nothing else about it is better than XT in my opinion.
Appreciate your feedback Rob! Have 3 mtbs and wanted to have the same drivetrain set up to be consistent. Based on your input, will give the XT 12 speed a go before I make a decision. Been riding SRAM ever since they came out with the 1X and haven't riden any Shimano drivetrains on an mtb, just on my roadbike. Really enjoyed your review on the YT Decoy vs Levo. Happened to be at my lbs and they literally just finished assembling a new 2021 Levo S-Works, same red color you did a vid on. Pulled the trigger since YT didn't have any Decoy's in stock. Have an available from date of 11/11 on YT replied back to my inquiry stating they are still holding that date. Will post an update after I get some miles in on it!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
If you want electric shifting, I would go with Di2. When you hook it up to the Shimano motor you get much better shifting performance than AXS.
I run AXS currently and I am not a fan of 12-speed. If you blow on the derailleur or look at it funny the alignment gets thrown off and the shifting goes to shit.
Shimano 12-Speed has been a mixed bag. On an acoustic bike if you back pedal the chain drops a couple of gears on the cassette. The shifting also has a vague feeling to it.
You make a good point. Since the bike I wanted to change to AXS will be my long travel emtb, not sure if I would utilize a 12 speed to its full advantage. My new Levo has the SRAM cassette with the latest 52 tooth cassette and I never get near it.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I think Captain Obvious will hopefully be my next title.

Captain Obvious with maximum lack of expertise because not sure though I think the Decoy is E8000 not EP8 and likely not compatible but:

[+] much like myself atm - fail.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 5.44.55 pm.png

SG-C7050-5D

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 4.29.59 pm.png

Other than that Kindernay XIV thru axle

Products - Kindernay

DSC1950-XIV-m-disc-1440x960-1.jpg

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think Captain Obvious will hopefully be my next title.

Captain Obvious with maximum lack of expertise because not sure though I think the Decoy is E8000 not EP8 and likely not compatible but:
Can you put one on the front wheel and one on the back for 10 speed ? Is it wireless so you don't need a chain ? o_O

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Ended up taking your advice. Picked it up yesterday and finished assembling today. Shifts smooth as butter!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles