YT Decoy 4 29 or Canyon Spectral:On CF8

Bobby76

Aug 24, 2022
Switzerland
Tested a bunch of eBikes at a recent eBike festival but unfortunately my favourite, the Rocky Mountain Carbon Altitude 70 is out of my budget and 2nd fave the Commencal Meta Power TR Signature Keswick green is out of stock. So turning back to 2 brands I like from previous purchases (YT Capra Enduro bike & Canyon Endurace road bike) any views on this choice?

YT seems to have a better spec and slightly more expensive but 540Wh battery while the Canyon is cheaper, lower spec but 720Wh battery. Tempted by the YT as I love my 1st gen Capra and they tell me a new 700Wh battery will be out at some point and retro fittable, but maybe the Canyon with the bigger battery is the safer choice?

For riding in the mountains of Switzerland where climbing and long ascents more important to me than downhill prowes

Thanks!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
They have been promising the 700 battery for a few years now..
Although I think one may have been spotted at ard rock.
Don't count on it is what I'm saying..
Both nice bikes

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Hi Bob! KenX from Snowheads! I've had a Decoy for 4 summers now and love it, done a few tweaks, coil fork and shock, Hope brakes, overall a great bike but if I was buying now I'd choose the Canyon with the 900 battery!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Thanks Dobby. That’s what I’m worried about…
I wanted a decoy when I was last bike shopping, that was 2 years ago and they were telling me the 700 battery was imminent then :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I gotta say that at that time, before the YT Mill was opened the buying process was like pulling teeth so I gave up and bought a Levo. Im glad I did as well as I use all the 700wh battery pretty much every ride and at bikeparks I use 2.

but here, the rumored 700: YT Decoy 700WH battery - EMTB Forums

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Mind you, round here (French Alps) I think I'd prefer the extra travel on the YT (180/165), but if the OP isn't a Dh fiend then 150 is plenty!

Bobby76

Aug 24, 2022
Switzerland
Mind you, round here (French Alps) I think I'd prefer the extra travel on the YT (180/165), but if the OP isn't a Dh fiend then 150 is plenty!

Hi Ken,

alas the 900Wh battery is not available so it’s the 720Wh if I go for the Canyon. Thinking it may make sense to hold out a bit longer to see if the situation improves…

Bobby76

Aug 24, 2022
Switzerland

I was looking at the 29” which is 150. Focus is on the uphill as have an old 170 Capra which is perfect for lift served and bike park. The battery is important though. Slogged up in Eco and still ran out of juice on my first big uphill ride in the mountains. 2nd time on a new Commencal 630Wh Shimano rocking it the whole way in Trail mode was a much more pleasant experience even! 700Wh is enough for the main routes here but with 540Wh would need to be careful.

Bobby76

Aug 24, 2022
Switzerland
I wanted a decoy when I was last bike shopping, that was 2 years ago and they were telling me the 700 battery was imminent then :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I gotta say that at that time, before the YT Mill was opened the buying process was like pulling teeth so I gave up and bought a Levo. Im glad I did as well as I use all the 700wh battery pretty much every ride and at bikeparks I use 2.

but here, the rumored 700: YT Decoy 700WH battery - EMTB Forums

Thanks for that link - sounds promising…

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
I was looking at the 29” which is 150. Focus is on the uphill as have an old 170 Capra which is perfect for lift served and bike park. The battery is important though. Slogged up in Eco and still ran out of juice on my first big uphill ride in the mountains. 2nd time on a new Commencal 630Wh Shimano rocking it the whole way in Trail mode was a much more pleasant experience even! 700Wh is enough for the main routes here but with 540Wh would need to be careful.
Nothing worse than range anxiety on them big rides .

Bobby76

Aug 24, 2022
Switzerland
Hi Ken,

alas the 900Wh battery is not available so it’s the 720Wh if I go for the Canyon. Thinking it may make sense to hold out a bit longer to see if the situation improves…

Coming back to this! There’s a new Canyon Spectral ON CF7 with the 900Wh battery. And it’s currently available in medium! About €5300 all in. Guessing nothing will beat this for price/value?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles