Rail (625Wh) you may want to watch this #TREKRAIL

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
So I've done a little research on replacement M5 screws for Gen 1-3 Bosch motors. The originals are black M5 x 16mm flanged security head (T25 5-pt pentalobe). The 11mm flange is not serrated. The head is ~3mm tall. They don't appear to be thread-forming as the tip isn't blunt-tapered, (even so, Bosch recommend not removing the screw completely when tensioning/resetting in order to preserve the threaded aluminium material). The coating appears to be black oxide or maybe zinc.

Ideally I'd like to replace them with a M5 x 16mm flanged and serrated class 12.9 cap screw.
  • Flange is important as it spreads the load on the aluminium brackets.
  • Serration would be good to improve screw grip in the presence of vibration.
  • Class 12.9 is the highest tensile strength alloy steel available (170,000 psi) and a cap screw can have a 4mm allen socket, instead of the annoying pentalobe head.
  • Flanged cap screws are a little taller (5mm vs 3mm) than the original heads so I need to check frame clearance
This is what I'm thinking would work:

Class 12.9 non-serrated:
McMaster-Carr

1683687580140.png

Or Class 8-10 serrated :
McMaster-Carr
1683690323452.png

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So I've done a little research on replacement M5 screws for Gen 1-3 Bosch motors. The originals are black M5 x 16mm flanged security head (T25 5-pt pentalobe). The 11mm flange is not serrated. The head is ~3mm tall. They don't appear to be thread-forming as the tip isn't blunt-tapered, (even so, Bosch recommend not removing the screw completely when tensioning/resetting in order to preserve the threaded aluminium material). The coating appears to be black oxide or maybe zinc.

Ideally I'd like to replace them with a M5 x 16mm flanged and serrated class 12.9 cap screw.
  • Flange is important as it spreads the load on the aluminium brackets.
  • Serration would be good to improve screw grip in the presence of vibration.
  • Class 12.9 is the highest tensile strength alloy steel available (170,000 psi) and a cap screw can have a 4mm allen socket, instead of the annoying pentalobe head.
  • Flanged cap screws are a little taller (5mm) than the original heads so I need to check frame clearance
This is what I'm thinking would work:

Class 12.9 non-serrated:
McMaster-Carr

View attachment 114164

Or Class 8-10 serrated :
McMaster-Carr
View attachment 114170
I wonder if those heads might be too tall for clearance’s in the motor compartment?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles