You can ring my bell!

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I am running the Timber! trail bell. Works great on the crowded shared local trails. I have had positive comments from pedestrians for using it.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I always prefer to be friendly and ride slow and even talk to people I meet while riding but its never too crowded out there.
but if I need to advise someone to give me room to keep moving, I drag the rear tyre so loud that people sometimes jump into the bushes before they even see me.
I've encountered walkers around blind corners on downhill-only trails and yesterday, two young guys riding UP the downhill. Hearing a bell in the distance is going to save us a trip to the hospital.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Keep in mind that some clowns will be drawn to your cow bell ....

clown.jpg

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Had one for nearly 2 years. Most people hear them coming but do not feel offended by its gentle jingle. They turn round to see what's making the unusual noise.
Any body who does not hear it will be either hard of hearing or wearing headphones and will not hear any type of bell!
Just fitted an electric horn with 6 warning tones, short or long bursts. Also has LED lights with 6 settings - flashing blue/red lights etc. Charge battery with a wall socket. Try Ali Express. NZD$19.06, including GST and free delivery to New Zealand from China. Only drawback is delivery can take between two and four weeks. Brilliant at 120 decibels, so you can let a short blast off in normal conditions 200 yards away from walker. If the target has earphones and is walking away from you, they aint gonna hear a freight train coming, let alone my horn.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I've encountered walkers around blind corners on downhill-only trails and yesterday, two young guys riding UP the downhill. Hearing a bell in the distance is going to save us a trip to the hospital.
Agreed!
Just that social media brings us who live in very distinct reallities onto sometimes a nonsense conversation.
the only time I ever see policemen on a trail is when there is fire on the woods.
And i am the old guy who loves to climb the mtb dowhill trails and ride down the trails that motocross guys like to climb.
At least I guarantee I will never have an earplug playing loud dubstep music into my ears like those guys you just met would probably have...
Even while climbing with the shimano 8000 buzzing I can still listen to birds and other sounds ‘of silence’ and will give room to anyone riding faster than me.
Yesterday the jeep roads had been turned into fast DH tracks after a overnight summer storm had washed then leaving plenty of deep ruts crossing the track and baby head sized rocks, this 5 km full open brakes ride at 50 + km/h from top to bottom was being a delight, until I saw a car stranded into a rut and a motorbike parked right on the middle of the way, leaving just a handlebar wide space open...
How could I ever tell that was not a trap to steel my bike?? How could a bell help? I was going so fast that dragging the rear tyre was not a choice so I just cried out on not kindly portuguese words that should they give me room or share the ride to the hospital ?

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
I didn’t do a lot of research on bells before I bought the Knog Oi classic, I just liked it because it’s not so noticeable on the bar.
It’s got a good ring too.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
I prefer a closer to hand, finger actually, location for my simple and cheap setup.

View attachment 55754
To be fair I was planning to put it next to the grip but it wasn’t until I’d ripped the box open and looked at it that I realised I had bought the large rather than the small so it wouldn’t actually fit where I was planning to put it. ?? (Similar location to yours)

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
How does the Timber bell perform on roads?
Is there enough movement to make it ring?
Just thinking as I ride down narrow lanes and often walkers are taking up the whole width. Only sunday my little pinger bell gave a girl a heart attack and she virtually shot up the bank nearly falling over!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
That’s where I got mine. Ordered over the weekend, it arrived today.

After reading this thread, and after a few run ins with startled dog walkers on a ride last weekend, I also ordered a Timber Bell from MTB Riders, which arrived today

Fitted it to the bars and went for a ‘townie’ ride not long ago just so I could see how people react to it. I have to say they’re brilliant. No one was startled and jumped in shock in to my path, they all heard the ding a ding a ding coming from a fair distance and stepped out of the way with a smile in plenty of time. Even dogs just seem to stand still and stare at you with a look of wonder on their face, better than the usual growls & barks and chasing the bike I usually get

It doesn’t really ding on smooth tarmac but you just need to shoogle the bars a little (I’m using that now too!)

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
After reading this thread, and after a few run ins with startled dog walkers on a ride last weekend, I also ordered a Timber Bell from MTB Riders, which arrived today

Fitted it to the bars and went for a ‘townie’ ride not long ago just so I could see how people react to it. I have to say they’re brilliant. No one was startled and jumped in shock in to my path, they all heard the ding a ding a ding coming from a fair distance and stepped out of the way with a smile in plenty of time. Even dogs just seem to stand still and stare at you with a look of wonder on their face, better than the usual growls & barks and chasing the bike I usually get

It doesn’t really ding on smooth tarmac but you just need to shoogle the bars a little (I’m using that now too!)

Excellent. Where on the bars did you mount it?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I put mine next to the grip so I can just use my thumb to flick the off/on lever when I want to use it as I approach somebody. A friend I ride with finds it very irritating if it is on all the time!

still easy to flick on & off near the stem, I didn’t have it dinging my whole ride!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles