Yamaha Y-00Z Concept Bike

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Saw this a while back but keep forgetting to post about it.

Following on from @knut7's Yamaha Moro-07 article, which showed a bit of an unexciting and dated bike :

It seems there's still someone at Yamaha who represents more of the Yamaha of old in pushing the boundaries a bit more.

This is just a concept bike and I'm not sure how some of the features would work in real life, or their advantages, but presumably someone's thought about it.

1697749212829.png

1697749227684.png

1697749244467.png

1697749274644.png

One feature is the electronic power steering. This utilises magnetostrictive torque sensor to supposedly improve handling, but also stability, so presumably it also works a little like Canyon's (and other bikes from 100 years ago) spring system (K.I.S.)

1697749296113.png

1697749320115.png

1697749343123.png

Interesting how the saddle "triangle" is bolted on a bit like a moto.

The motor and bottom bracket are separate a little like a Rocky Mountain. Though I'm not sure on the longevity of the sprocket with only three teeth in contact, unless it's made from Adamantium !

1697749375131.png

skinnyboy

May 25, 2023
Canada
As an ex moto guy I like it, but my mtb side is concerned about more backlash if emtb's resemble motorcycles more.

Sure looks like a polished unit, almost pre production. Nice tidy drive, good to see another potential alternative system to the current crop.

Generally it's only the last few teeth on a sprocket doing all the power transfer anyway, curious to see if there would be a notable downside to the tiny drive sprocket. Certainly forces the pin/bushing interface to turn more.

Cheers.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
One would think that Yamaha would know a thing or two about feeding chain on sprockets.....What I have a problem with is the EPSCan't believe I've managed 40yrs of mtb without it. . At least it kept them from running the housings through the headset.

The KYB inverted fork and coil rear shock look good. KYB knows how to make shocks, it's why they come on Yamaha moto's. New and untried but has potential if they train their moto techs on them. Probably be easy for them and pretty close to what moto's use? Yamaha moto dealers all over, IBD's that sell Yamaha not so much and what do bike mechanics know 😇

I like the motor placement and the overall look of the bike. Hopefully at least a 750wh battery if it goes to production. With a 450wh battery that fits in the dt with the larger one out as an accessory for lighter rides and epic days. Still looks like an eBike to me at least.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Yeah, I've seen those images floating around. The high pivot design looks interesting and I want to test more such bikes. It makes sense putting the motor cog on top instead of a pulley wheel. But as others have mentioned, the motor cog seems very small. Could be a compromise between durability and having the motor work at the optimum rpm. Moving the motor slightly forwards would improve chainwrap, but it could be hard on the chain and possibly increase drivetrain resistance/loss. The chainring should have a bit more chainwrap too I think.

The Dyname motor has better chainwrap and more parts. This Yamaha motor design looks very clean and less complicated. But I'm not sure it is, where is the torque sensing happening?

Seems they're keeping the battery integration design, the silver part at the top of the downtube looks like a battery. The exposed part doesn't look much bigger than the 500 Wh battery on the MORO-07, but I guess the battery could be longer and continue below the shock. I assume they're not releasing another emtb with 500 Whs.

1697783832417.png

And the geometry looks promising, steeper STA, slacker HA and the chainstays appear to be shorter. Wonder if they'll keep the rear triangle design using plates (??) rather than tubes...

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Also a two wheel drive concept bike:

My all road bikes I have built up all feature a front hub motor which along with human pedal input also enables two wheel drive. You can definitely feel it working but I don't see the need for two motors after using that system for years now. Especially if you consider the extra weight of another motor and as the Yamaha seems to a second battery? I wouldn't set up a full on mtb with a front hub though but for gravel etc. it works rather well.

I grew up with a Rokon in the garage however and that is truly a two wheel drive unit but with a central ICE motor. It would go anywhere and even float due to hollow hubs that you could also fill with liquid. Great trail building mule.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles