Yamaha PW-ST Pedal Response

Getitright

Dec 22, 2023
East Sussex
I have a Haibike Trekking 6 i630, with Yamaha PW-ST motor. I find the motor response at low pedal pressure somewhat erratic. When pedaling lightly, I notice two things:
  • The assistance ramps on and off with slight variations in pedal pressure. This can be provoked by changing into a lower gear and spinning faster. It can be prevented by changing into a higher gear and pushing harder on the pedals. This is audible as well as felt.
  • With low pedal pressures, the assistance "stutters" over slightly uneven surfaces (as the pedal pressure fluctuates accordingly). imagine saying "eeerrrr" or "ahhhh" while riding over a series small bumps, and your voice sounds jerky - the motor feels and sounds the same.
Pushing harder on the pedals, everything seems fine. But I like to spin and use less pedal pressure, so it happens quite a lot. My thoughts have always been that (perhaps) either the resolution of the torque sensor is poor at low pedal pressures and/or the motor algorithms are too responsive to small changes in light pedal pressures. Also, I have heard of a batch of motors that were programmed incorrectly - could mine be one? It's a 2022 model, purchased in early January 2023.

NB No error codes at any time.

Thoughts, anyone?

PS In case anyone is interested:
Battery range is excellent - typically 160 miles in power level 1 (+ECO), after a full charge (630 Whrs). After 31 miles of fairly hilly going the other day, I had lost exactly 31 miles range - it was down from 162 miles to 121 miles. Admittedly I used the gears a lot. I used level 1 (+ECO) on the level and for gentle hills, and level 2 (ECO) on steeper hills and for strong headwinds near the coast. A power level higher and I would have been doing pretty good speed and still had loads of range.

Last edited:

Stokes9315

Feb 29, 2024
United Kingdom
I would love to know if you ever solved this issue . I have the same thing going on. I'm guessing it may be bearing slippage ? Any ideas on how to rectify the issue please

Stokes9315

Feb 29, 2024
United Kingdom
On further diagnostic checks my tourque sensor voltage is high at 0.5v and the range should be 0.1-0.2 , was this the issue with your bike ? Did you have a tourque sensor replaced ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles