wrong shaped head

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Is my head the wrong shape?

Every helmet I buy slips forward when descending, so that I end up not being able to see where I am going.

I try them on in the shop and get all the latest adjustments and widgets and they all end up being the same. Last one cost me 200 quid.

It is same with FF helmet too.

Have tried adjusting straps and tightening the helmet to the limit each time.

It is true that I have a shortish neck and am maybe a bit round shouldered, but we aren't talking cro-magnon man here.

Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone have a solution?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
BTW I don't need to hear: 'I never have an issue and I use x brand'
More looking for.: 'I recognise your problem mate', and 'I found this solution'

Marksou

Dec 24, 2021
Llanbedrog
Problem solved

4DFFA266-F47E-4F8C-8D23-33339CB7FBFE.png

lindbeckb

Feb 2, 2022
Aberdeen
you tried adjusting the straps going under the chin? i often need to adjust mine so i dont have hte same problem.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
you tried adjusting the straps going under the chin? i often need to adjust mine so i dont have hte same problem.
i've done it on previous helmets. basically shortening the rear straps to pull the helmet back,. feels like it will work at first, but ends up a bit strangley as the helmet rotates forwards

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I tried a few different brands of helmets before I got the right fit. The pressure points on the “Wave Cell” model hurt no matter what I did. I eventually settled for the “mips” system from Bell (full face convertible and also a regular). Maybe a different sweat-band to take up some space in the forehead area?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One helmet I bought, the structure at the back that has the tightening mechanism on it, was too low for me. That meant that when I leaned forward on the bike to hold the bars and looked up to see the trail, a roll of flesh on the back of my neck (I am not overweight) pushed on the tightening mechanism and pushed the helmet down my forehead. It didn't matter if I tightened my helmet or adjusted any of the straps. I had to sell the helmet after only a few weeks of use. Ever since then I have assumed the riding position when trying on a helmet just to check what happens.

Years later I discovered that there may have been another cause. My upper back is very stiff, as in vertebrae that seem almost fused, if not actually fused. This means that when riding I have to tip my head up quite a bit to see the trail ahead. That makes the back of my neck wrinkle up a bit. A test for a stiff upper back is can you do a roll up? I don't mean a DIY cigarette! Lay flat on your back, with your arms by your side. Can you sit up without hooking your feet under the settee? If you can't, then either your abdominal muscles are weak or like me you have a stiff upper back. Your upper back has to curve forward to get your weight closer to your bum (the pivot point), so that the weight of your legs is sufficient to hold them down. You may have a very heavy upper body and skinny legs; in which case the test is unlikely to work.

I am also considering buying a bar with a larger rise, so that I don't have to crane my neck quite so much.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I assume you have tried all of the following............but just in case!!

If the helmet has the ratchet system at the back many also offer the option to move it up and down and also in and out by moving the fixing points of the two side pieces and the centre piece. The idea is to get the system to sit under the widest section of the back of your head.

How far forward or back your head is in the helmet affects how well that rear ratchet strap grips the back of your head. Adding an additional strip of padding to the forehead area will push the helmet forward.

How far into the top of the helmet you head fits is also adjustable by playing with the padding.

I assume you know all a bout the method of putting the helmet on with the ratchet strap loose, then tightening the ratchet such that the helmet stays on even without the chin strap being fastened.

All the a bove refer mostly to open face helmets although some full face helmets now have the ratchet system as well. Those that do not the only real options to improve fit are fore and aft and depth padding changes...plus of course the cheek pads.

Again I guess you know that there 2 different common helmet shapes. Some use a more circular mould and some a mould with rather flatter sides. That varies with brand.

I guess something else you could try is using a Buff under the helmet. The original very thin Buff ( or similar).
I have modified both my Endura open Face and Smith full face as a bove to get the right fit.

Regardless of all that, if your helmet is slipping over your eyes because your head is so low when riding I would think you need to adjust your riding position.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I assume you have tried all of the following............but just in case!!

If the helmet has the ratchet system at the back many also offer the option to move it up and down and also in and out by moving the fixing points of the two side pieces and the centre piece. The idea is to get the system to sit under the widest section of the back of your head.

How far forward or back your head is in the helmet affects how well that rear ratchet strap grips the back of your head. Adding an additional strip of padding to the forehead area will push the helmet forward.

How far into the top of the helmet you head fits is also adjustable by playing with the padding.

I assume you know all a bout the method of putting the helmet on with the ratchet strap loose, then tightening the ratchet such that the helmet stays on even without the chin strap being fastened.

All the a bove refer mostly to open face helmets although some full face helmets now have the ratchet system as well. Those that do not the only real options to improve fit are fore and aft and depth padding changes...plus of course the cheek pads.

Again I guess you know that there 2 different common helmet shapes. Some use a more circular mould and some a mould with rather flatter sides. That varies with brand.

I guess something else you could try is using a Buff under the helmet. The original very thin Buff ( or similar).
I have modified both my Endura open Face and Smith full face as a bove to get the right fit.

Regardless of all that, if your helmet is slipping over your eyes because your head is so low when riding I would think you need to adjust your riding position.
Thanks Mikerb
Ratchet and strap wise I have tried a lot, but I haven't done anything with padding or riding position. I will give those serious thought. I have been using a skull cap in the colder months and for a while I thought that was helping, but lately I'm not so convinced. A buff might be a better option, so will give that a go.
I use same brand of shampoo and Claudia Winkelman, I reckon it makes my hair too shiny and sleek - no helmet friction.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
One helmet I bought, the structure at the back that has the tightening mechanism on it, was too low for me. That meant that when I leaned forward on the bike to hold the bars and looked up to see the trail, a roll of flesh on the back of my neck (I am not overweight) pushed on the tightening mechanism and pushed the helmet down my forehead. It didn't matter if I tightened my helmet or adjusted any of the straps. I had to sell the helmet after only a few weeks of use. Ever since then I have assumed the riding position when trying on a helmet just to check what happens.

Years later I discovered that there may have been another cause. My upper back is very stiff, as in vertebrae that seem almost fused, if not actually fused. This means that when riding I have to tip my head up quite a bit to see the trail ahead. That makes the back of my neck wrinkle up a bit. A test for a stiff upper back is can you do a roll up? I don't mean a DIY cigarette! Lay flat on your back, with your arms by your side. Can you sit up without hooking your feet under the settee? If you can't, then either your abdominal muscles are weak or like me you have a stiff upper back. Your upper back has to curve forward to get your weight closer to your bum (the pivot point), so that the weight of your legs is sufficient to hold them down. You may have a very heavy upper body and skinny legs; in which case the test is unlikely to work.

I am also considering buying a bar with a larger rise, so that I don't have to crane my neck quite so much.
Thanks Steve
I think you have pretty much described my 'condition', although I am a bit fat on top of the stiffness, so maybe a double whammy on the neck roll.
As per Mikerb I am going to look into padding adjustment, a ruff. I'll also follow you suggestion of riser bar to raise the front a little, because I like buying stuff for my bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles