Would you buy another Giant?

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I imagine I'll get a new bike sometime this year but will I run back to Giant dealership? My experience with my bike has been patchy and I've had a mix of issues like the hub failure, electrical gremlins, cracked frame etc etc. All of which was covered under warranty but were frustrating to deal with. When the thing is going well which is 95% of the time, the bike is absolutely amazing and turned me into a daily rider.

I still love my bike and I think my purchase was the right one at that point in time, but now I think Giant is a little out gunned in the EMTB market.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I’d buy another Giant without doubt. My Trance has been flawless since I bought it last September, clocking up 900 miles in some truly awful conditions. I’ve tried a couple of other eMTB’s in that time, including the Spesh SL, and have yet to find anything that’s made me think of ditching the Trance. I like the way the Yamaha motor delivers its power: it’s there straight away when you want it, and stops immediately when you don’t need it. Downsides: the accompanying software really needs improving... Giant’s peers are well ahead on that front.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I would. Large company backing, LBS sales and service (good availability for me) plus value for money.

Yes, RideControl software needs improvement but that’s about it. If there is a hardware problem, they generally improve it for the next model year as Giant don’t want warranty issues any more than we do.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
I would and plan to buy another Reign. We have a 2018 Levo, 19 Trance and 20 Reign. The Levo is a good bike but feels like a mountain bike as far as handling. It’s a little skatey in the turns ft and rear and will buck you if you hit a jump or log over without precision. It also crapped a battery due to water ingress after a gentle wash a few weeks back which now makes me leary of cleaning it. Still a very solid and well built trail bike. The Trance and Reign are a different story altogether. They handle like a MX bike. Can hit obstacles very fast and not worry, especially the Reign. They also turn so well at speed on any surface. I think they are easier to work on also and have much better wiring and connectors compared to other bikes I’ve seen. Both of our Giants have been very reliable, I upgraded the head sets on both with a Cane Creek due to noise and now no issues. The Levo’s head set will loosen every few days and when I went to find a upgrade for I found it’s has integrated bearing races in the frame and very specific bearings. So can’t really remedy the weak head set in the Levo, frustrating. I demoed a Trek full carbon and it was horrible in every way. I do like the way the new Santa Cruz Heckler looks but it’s almost $9k and I just don’t believe in buying a eMTB that’s more expensive than a new YZ250.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I'm a x/y gen baby . And a chef . I can afford a Levo . Last time I checked giants where a rip off too .

ummm no. For $8k NZD you can get a Giant with top spec Fox suspension with kasmina, Sram XO Eagle drive terrain, Code Brakes carbon cranks, Maxxis 3C tyres. Spend that same $$ on a Levo, you get below-average suspension, bottom spec NX 11speed, house brand tyres and brakes that you normally find on a XC analog bike.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I paid 8 for my expert levo . Well good thing I own a nissan patrol . If i owned a Toyota I wouldn't be able to afford a Levo . Seems like my logic is flawed and u caught me out . The giant e bikes still look like shit though . Lucky they have top suspension .

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I paid 8 for my expert levo . Well good thing I own a nissan patrol . If i owned a Toyota I wouldn't be able to afford a Levo . Seems like my logic is flawed and u caught me out . The giant e bikes still look like shit though . Lucky they have top suspension .
Why are you even here ? Bored ? We get you have a Levo but are you in a position to answer the original query ?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Hard call. I love my full e pro, but as a 2018 bike I've had my fair share of issues. Giant / my lbs have been wonderfull with warranty support, and grandpas axe is better now than the day I bought it...the 2020 motor is fantastic....but they'd need to produce something very special for 2021 to distract me from test riding a spec sl . Oh, and then I'd keep my full e for about 6 months whilst waiting for you guys to beta test whatever giant makes

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I still love my bike and I think my purchase was the right one at that point in time, but now I think Giant is a little out gunned in the EMTB market.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
As a retired product designer, I’ve got a squinted eye for things that are over-engineered. Obviously that in itself is subjective depending on what the objective is to begin with - but there ought to be practical limitations in everything. Which is why it’s futile to make a statement like ‘such and such is the BEST eBike.” Best in relation to what? Price? Weight? Performance? Durability? Status? Service? Each of these elements are conflicting. In an effort to out-market each other, bike manufacturers have deliberately ignored maintaining a balance across these parameters in order to be the best at something.

If as a consumer, I were to choose but one (or say even two of those factors) my best choice or ideal bike would naturally vary depending. Personally, if I were to consider ALL of them without excess, it would be hard for me to go past the Giant Trance and/or Reign.

So would I buy another one? Yes I would. But is this the right call for you (or anyone else for that matter) at this point in time? It all depends on which factors are paramount for you.

(I do have one gripe with most eMTBs, and that’s the longish chainstay lengths! So I do have a wandering eye... and have been distracted by a few newer bike offerings that have addressed this issue).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If I didn't decide to go way upmarket with the Scott 900 Tuned I would have definitely gone for the Trance E+ ) Pro or even the Reign E+ O Pro.
When I was thinking of ditching the Levo I tried the Trance and was quite happy with it. Also tried A RM Instinct and a RM Altitude but did not think they were worth the money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles