Would you buy a bike that can't be derestricted ?

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Yes and i have done twice, 25kmph Australia.
Zero problems on the trails, the limit is right.
If I rode on rail trails or roads, it would be better at 30+

Mars2

May 16, 2023
La Ciotat France
I just bought my first bike that could not be derestricted. Strive:eek:n with bosch rim magnet.
I thought It will be ok. But in fact it's really not!
Specialy with that Bosch motor that feel like an anchor pedaling past 25KM/H
the most frustrating was at the bike park in the alps where I could not reach the good speed for some table because I could not pedal enough hard. Much easier with a Acoustic bike.

Lucky I have a Megabobra device on the way. this one can finally work with magnet on the rim.
Can't wait to go back in "Les ORRES" (South France alps) with it derestricted.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Can't wait to go back in "Les ORRES" (South France alps) with it derestricted.
Be careful, the French have bought in massive penalties for ebike derestriction. Fine up up to €30,000, up to one year in prison, points on your driving license, and confiscation of the bike until it is returned to original spec. You're unlikely to get caught, but wowsers.

tatane

Jun 25, 2023
Southern France
Be careful, the French have bought in massive penalties for ebike derestriction. Fine up up to €30,000, up to one year in prison, points on your driving license, and confiscation of the bike until it is returned to original spec. You're unlikely to get caught, but wowsers.
They did so and do enforce mostly in big cities where there are risks of collision with tourists (like Paris) which is why they started bringing those massive penalties (due to those accidents happening) and are even thinking to restrict speed of pedelecs and scooters in some of those areas ...
Now for those of us who don't live in Paris, those are not really enforced much ... I'm in southern France and my "commuter" bike is illegal AF (got a throttle and goes up to 45km/h) and not discrete at all, yet I pass by coppers several times a day with it and they never told me anything... (obv I don't do 45km/h in the city center but this bike raised more the one eyebrow and the first question I always get with it is "how fast does it get ?" )

DieBoy

Jul 14, 2023
EU
Yes, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Europe, 25kmh assist limit. The silver lining of this limit is I have no helmet compulsion*, no tax, no insurance requirement, and can ride anywhere a pushbike can.

When I want to go faster, I pedal harder. My cruising speed on my commute is 27‐28kmh.

Advantages/disadvantages of de-restricting for me personally:
+ I could ride faster
- cost of gadget
- more wear on motor and drivetrain
- less range
- I'd get less exercise
- if caught, very very expensive trouble (theoretically potential jail scentence though fine is realistic) for riding an uninsured untaxed non-approved motorbike (ar least I don't have a drivers licence to lose) and losing the bike

It doesn't bother me if other people derestrict their bikes, it's just not for me.

* obviously I wear a helmet offroad. Not when commuting or nipping about town

Last edited:

Mars2

May 16, 2023
La Ciotat France
Yes, wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Europe, 25kmh assist limit. The silver lining of this limit is I have no helmet compulsion*, no tax, no insurance requirement, and can ride anywhere a pushbike can.

When I want to go faster, I pedal harder. My cruising speed on my commute is 27‐28kmh.

Advantages/disadvantages of de-restricting for me personally:
+ I could ride faster
- cost of gadget
- more wear on motor and drivetrain
- less range
- I'd get less exercise
- if caught, very very expensive trouble (theoretically potential jail scentence though fine is realistic) for riding an uninsured untaxed non-approved motorbike (ar least I don't have a drivers licence to lose) and losing the bike

It doesn't bother me if other people derestrict their bikes, it's just not for me.

* obviously I wear a helmet offroad. Not when commuting or nipping about town
Advantage
- Can finally pass some of the table or double that i will not on restricted bike.
- Can accelerate down hill after a curve where I lost speed because of my average skill and caught back to my friend with higher skills. This curve where I lost speed would be above 25KM/H
-Some later area become intresting to ride ( I don't have much of this in my area)
- Can get more exercise because I don't get frustrate with low downhill speed and still super motivated to get biking next day

Disavantage:
- I don't see any.
- Wear of engine? it's just 30 second where I need to pedal above 25KM/H to clear Jump or get back to speed because of bad driving skill. So I don't think this will change any thing.
-If I get caught wich is totally impossible! It's part of the game, like when I drive full blast on road with my van. I will Assume the consequences with no second thought. It's worth every penny.I will be happy of it. We live only one time.
Already happened a few time with car. And have been a couple of time at the court.

PS: I go uphill in eco or trail ( emtb on bosch) never above 25KM/H but always go down hill in Boost. Just in case I brake a bit too much at a critical area. I know this is shitting:eek::eek:🤣

PS2: I understand that the rule should be 25KM/H for city bike. But a tolerance of 20 second with no limit of speed every 40 second for MTB would be great. this would allow you to get this acceleration where you need but will prevent you from commuting at 50KM/H

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Most definitely, as every ebike I've had that's been derestricted with the likes of a Volspeed and has improved the bike to the level they should be sold as standard, not because some pencil pusher decides tthat's how they want to control people.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
In Oz, you’d be riding an illegal bike. If something happened and you hurt someone, that would count against you and you could end up in jail. Not to mention that we’re allowed to ride our bike everywhere any pedal bike is. Illegal bikes could change that. They already cause enough agro with the throttle bikes racing around the cities, often on footpaths, delivering food. We have essentially no haters here on the trails. Bikes are bikes. But if we get bikes doing stupid moto like speeds we could end up like the US. No thanks.

Would I like my bike to be 32kmh? Absolutely. But I’m not breaking the law just because I feel I’m entitled. Some rules I don’t like. Some I do. I don’t pick and choose which ones I obey.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles