Would this work for seating tubeless tyres?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Doubt it. You need a big volume of air going into the tyre in a very short time. With a max pressure of 120psi, that device won't even give you a decent volume of air into an air can for shocking the bead into place.

It is possible to seat a bead carefully by hand (I've seen the videos) so that you can do the whole thing with a track pump. So this thing would work too. But I've only ever managed to do it the once with one particular tyre. Maybe your experience will be different, but I'd spend my £40 on packs of CO2 cartridges instead.

CryptoBiker

Sep 17, 2018
SW UK
Doubt it. You need a big volume of air going into the tyre in a very short time. With a max pressure of 120psi, that device won't even give you a decent volume of air into an air can for shocking the bead into place.

It is possible to seat a bead carefully by hand (I've seen the videos) so that you can do the whole thing with a track pump. So this thing would work too. But I've only ever managed to do it the once with one particular tyre. Maybe your experience will be different, but I'd spend my £40 on packs of CO2 cartridges instead.

Thanks! Thought there must be an obvious reason I was missing. Yeah I did my last one with my track pump, but it ended up literally taking a whole day, haha.

I think I'm going to opt for one of those chambers you buy that you can inflate to 140psi with a track pump, I don't want to keep buying those cartridges.

Thanks mate, you've helped a bunch

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Advice I have seen, if you use CO2, is to deflate the tyre and refill with air. Rationale is that you will lose pressure and cause the sealant to go off. I find that problems seating a tyre can be reduced by fitting a tube, seating both beads, unseating one side and carrying on.

CryptoBiker

Sep 17, 2018
SW UK
Advice I have seen, if you use CO2, is to deflate the tyre and refill with air. Rationale is that you will lose pressure and cause the sealant to go off. I find that problems seating a tyre can be reduced by fitting a tube, seating both beads, unseating one side and carrying on.

Thanks for the tips bud, nice one!

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

That is true. The tyre wall is porous to CO2 and it will deflate - usually overnight, so you get left with a nice puddle of sealant on the floor next morning. (BTDT)

I use an air can to shock the tyre bead but I broke my track pump last week while fitting a new rear tyre. My mini pump wasn't up to the task of recharging the air tank. (Let's be honest... my muscles weren't up to pushing that little handle up to 11 bar). So I used CO2 to shock the beads into place. I always carry a CO2 cartridge just in case I get a major tyre burp and lose a rim seal while out in the forest.

However, I get the beads seated before adding the sealant, so I let out the CO2, inject the sealant through the valve, and can then pump up the tyre with air. This solves the problem with the CO2 leaking thought the tyre wall. Otherwise, it really is a case of repumping the tyre every few hours for a couple of days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles