• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Worth going tubeless?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
For several years I’ve run tubes with Tannus armour and never had a puncture. Bike is kept outside in a metal bike shed and is exposed to wide fluctuations of temperature throughout the year. Current tyres (Nobby Nics) are perishing and tiny cracks across the surface like crazy paving. I’m assuming this is to do with the oven-like conditions in the bike shed during the summer and sub zero temps in winter.
So I bought some new tyres (Smart Sam). Thinking about trying a tubeless set up with them as I would then lose a lot of weight from not having the heavy Tannus armour or tubes.
My concerns however are..

1) the new tyres are probably not tubeless ready (Schwalbe Smart Sams, but at least my rims are.
2) Apparently sealant only lasts 6 months before it loses effectiveness
3). The wide temperature fluctuations in the bike shed could cause the sealant to dry out quickly and therefore I’ll need add more sealant / remove old sealant etc etc.

My Tannus set up is maintenance free but at a cost of some weight.

Is it really worth the hassle of going tubeless with these new tyres or should I just stick to the tubes and Tannus?

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I went tubeless on my MTB almost 20 years ago, and would NEVER put a tube in, unless I had a really bad flat on a ride. Once, I picked up a 16d nail, the other, I actually tore the bead on the tire on volcanic rock.

Tubeless with Tannus will let you run a bit lower pressure as well. It will be cushier than tubes, and tannus, and just as protective. Or, you could just go tubeless altogether. I run the Tannus inserts.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Couple of things; you'll probably get more than six months efficacy out of a dose of sealant & it can always be topped up. It won't evaporate, your tires a pretty closed system. Smart Sams don't have a great reputation around here. They were original fitment on the Decathlon Stilus, most of us got rid of them sharpish, did you keep the receipt?

Generally, tubeless is a very good move, it really works well on MTB as noted above & I'd encourage anyone to do it.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
For several years I’ve run tubes with Tannus armour and never had a puncture. Bike is kept outside in a metal bike shed and is exposed to wide fluctuations of temperature throughout the year. Current tyres (Nobby Nics) are perishing and tiny cracks across the surface like crazy paving. I’m assuming this is to do with the oven-like conditions in the bike shed during the summer and sub zero temps in winter.
So I bought some new tyres (Smart Sam). Thinking about trying a tubeless set up with them as I would then lose a lot of weight from not having the heavy Tannus armour or tubes.
My concerns however are..

1) the new tyres are probably not tubeless ready (Schwalbe Smart Sams, but at least my rims are.
2) Apparently sealant only lasts 6 months before it loses effectiveness
3). The wide temperature fluctuations in the bike shed could cause the sealant to dry out quickly and therefore I’ll need add more sealant / remove old sealant etc etc.

My Tannus set up is maintenance free but at a cost of some weight.

Is it really worth the hassle of going tubeless with these new tyres or should I just stick to the tubes and Tannus?
Tubeless is a pain in the arse. But it does save weight and punctures. It makes for more reliable rides.

I would say if you want to use tubeless, don't scrimp on non tubess tyres. Get the tubless tires.

If I go back to tubes i get too many punctures. So tubless it is for me.

Yes the good does dry out over time. Just pump more in through the valve stem.
I'm off to change 2 tubeles tires right now. Lets see how long it takes.

Starting 3, 2,1 Go!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Tubeless is a pain in the arse. But it does save weight and punctures. It makes for more reliable rides.

I would say if you want to use tubeless, don't scrimp on non tubess tyres. Get the tubless tires.

If I go back to tubes i get too many punctures. So tubless it is for me.

Yes the good does dry out over time. Just pump more in through the valve stem.
I'm off to change 2 tubeles tires right now. Lets see how long it takes.

Starting 3, 2,1 Go!
Done....

Ok j had lunch aswell. And didnt have to fit a tannus in these.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I have to pump up my tyres with tubes before I go & ride & I have to pump up my tyres with tubeless before I go for a ride. Tubeless is good with gorse apart from that not much difference

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Don’t see the point in tubeless as such but do see the benefit of the cushcore element. But they are expensive and are designed around downhill racing and stopping pinch flats mostly? Ive never had a pinch flat but I do get a lot of punctures from thorns. In fact it’s always bloody thorns from hawthorn bushes.

So you still get the punctures it’s just a question of if the sealant works. And after a few months it doesn’t seal. No point as I don’t need the Cush core and the stans sealant is hit and miss.

So I use tubes but use a sealant in them. Weldtite specific for tubes. Cheaper with some protection, and the mess is contained , it does need topping up though… but I’d rather use a tyre with a protective bead in it like the Schwalbe marathon but in a specific Mtb tyre. No idea why that’s not available in a mountain bike tyre. Maybe it’s not flexible enough. But the ones I had on my old bike never flatted on all terrain they were just hopeless in mud obviously.

There still is no ideal answer imo

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you run proper tubeless tyres then use a non-latex sealant because it doesn't dry out like latex sealants do. Because you will still get punctures and lose some sealant each time, you will still have to top up the sealant from time to time. The downside of non-latex sealant is that if you use it on no-tubeless tyres it takes longer to seal the tyre walls. You just have to be patient. I leave the wheel/tyre horizontal on a bucket for an hour or so each side (shaking vigorously before each lay down), under at least 40psi to help press the sealant into the tyre wall.

If you run tyres that are not specifically tubeless, then they will probably leak air through the tyre walls. I know, that sounds crazy right? How does air get through a rubber wall? But I have seen air leaking through micro pores in a tyre and foaming the soapy liquid that I had used to get the tyre on the rim. It looked like thousands of white mini volcanoes erupting all over the tyre! Anyway, with tyres that are not tubeless, use a latex sealant because it is much faster at sealing the tyre walls. If the sealant does not run out sooner because of all the punctures you have had, it will dry out over 3-6 months depending upon the climate in your area.

So whichever sealant and tyre combo you use, you will still have to top it up. If you don't keep your eye on it, then you will run out and then get a flat on the trail, and probably blame the sealant! I keep my eye on it by checking tyre pressure before every ride with a digital pressure gauge. Any more than 1-2 psi loss over several days is a sign that the sealant is losing its effectiveness.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had a first flat puncture today on front can't remember when I put the slime in 6 months ago maybe . Still swirling about inside tube but not pumping up so put new tube in to get home. Big thorn inside the tyre I had to take it out with my teeth so I will be carrying a wee pliers from now on . Went to fill the néw tube with slime when I got home to find halfords valves are not removable.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a first flat puncture today on front can't remember when I put the slime in 6 months ago maybe . Still swirling about inside tube but not pumping up so put new tube in to get home. Big thorn inside the tyre I had to take it out with my teeth so I will be carrying a wee pliers from now on . Went to fill the néw tube with slime when I got home to find halfords valves are not removable.
Why do you need to put more Slime in the tube?
The thorn in the tyre obviously kept re-puncturing the tube.
Once the thorn is removed the tube should seal.

Unless of course all the Slime leaked out of the tube and into the tyre.

Get rid of the tube, commit to the healing power of a sealant! :)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Why do you need to put more Slime in the tube?
The thorn in the tyre obviously kept re-puncturing the tube.
Once the thorn is removed the tube should seal.

Unless of course all the Slime leaked out of the tube and into the tyre.

Get rid of the tube, commit to the healing power of a sealant! :)
No I stopped when it went flat and took the thorn out. But it just wouldn't pump up or seal . I was pumping it up testing it without putting it back inside the tire not sure if that makes a difference but thinking aboutit nowit probablydoes . I put a patch on but there was another leak beside an old patch so I put a new tube in . Still plenty slime in the old tube I tried with the big pump at home but no joy it still wouldn'tseal. I had a half flat on rear about a month ago just a mile from home so carried on . It pumped up next day and its still ok now the slime has been in that at least a year . Strange one I thought. I was trying to put slime in the new tube I put in but valve doesn't come out on halfords tube. Sunny day so it was no big deal. I might just put it back the tyre the morn and see ìf that works . Still not going back to tubeless though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The big advantage of Slime is that it doesn't go off. I had Slime in tubes for years and years. Later on, I used Slime in tyres with similar results. But Slime is not good in tyres that are not meant to be tubeless. For that latex sealants are much better.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The big advantage of Slime is that it doesn't go off. I had Slime in tubes for years and years. Later on, I used Slime in tyres with similar results. But Slime is not good in tyres that are not meant to be tubeless. For that latex sealants are much better.
Front is a spesh hillbilly i think not sure. . Rear minion 3 month old really worn down already

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I have just done my first ride with good tyres and tubeless. holy moly, this needs to be the first thing we do. I had the original tyres pumped up to 60psi to not get pinch flats and they would bounce off any rock. today was just plush and grippy Maxxis agressors 29 x 2.5
For the record. No mountain bike tire needs to be pumped to 60psi ever. You should run the same pressures tube v tubeless.
If you are pinch flatting on tubes you will be denting rims tubeless.

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
For the record. No mountain bike tire needs to be pumped to 60psi ever. You should run the same pressures tube v tubeless.
If you are pinch flatting on tubes you will be denting rims tubeless.
yes sort of agree but I think to pinch flat a tube is only a small amount of pressure needed to make this happen, but the pressure needed to bend the rim will be a lot higher

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
my rear tire doesn't last 2 months, so no probs, I add sealant every 2-3 months I guess.
And never had problems on analog bike before (I run all my bikes tubeless for ~12y now, road bike as well).

I run tubeless mainly to use inserts (and avoid small annoying punctures?).
not cushcores, but some inserts up to 100g each.

Last edited:

mtb-steve

Nov 4, 2021
Cumbria
The hidden cost of tubeless is having to "refresh" the sealant in as short a time and 30-40 days. Ridiculous.
I don't touch or refill my sealant for the life of the tyre, take the tyre off and it's still got sealant inside, I did have one tyre get very low but it'd had a few big punctures and lost a fair bit.

Matt van

Jun 1, 2023
Canberra ACT
The hidden cost of tubeless is having to "refresh" the sealant in as short a time and 30-40 days. Ridiculous.
whats this 30 - 40 day you talk about, I put 100-150ml in my wheel when I set it up and add about 80-100ml when it wont stay at the pressure I set it before my ride for the length of the days ride, or approx 6 months. and generally do that until I need a new tyre 1-2 years

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
From the Orange sealant site:
Orange.png

Stan's
If you are using our standard Stan’s Tire Sealant, top off your sealant every 2-7 months through your valve stem

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Tubeless all the way, last 2 ride, through really rocky terrain, I've had 2 non-flats. This is where when I get home and I'm give the steed the 'once over' I've noticed a small sticky patch, covered in dirt etc, that is the sealant on the outside of the tyre where it has plug a puncture. I've not noticed a thing during the ride, exactly how it should be.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles