Worst thing you bought for your Ebike .

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
It's a possibility that I was a better rider before I went "E", but I have never damaged a mech until recently. It is only the recent 12-speed mechs that I have damaged. I've had 12-speed on mtbs before I went "E". I suspect that Shimano have taken cost cutting one step too far on the M8100 range. Does anyone know for how long their mechs been made from plastic?
I have torn two Shimano 12 spd RDā€™s within a summer on regular bike with barely even contacting anything with it while riding. They are fragile in my opinion due to long cage, whether XT or SLX. Due to that, it is Short caged RD only (10 spd Zee) on my ebike

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
10-speed is probably the best way to go, but my knees need the gear range. :(

400 Euros for a device that carries two jockey wheels! "Midas Gold" is well named!
I love my 10spd, 11-36 Shimano set up on my ebike. Super durable (lasts a long time), affordable and available. I have found 10spd on ebike not any harder on knees than 12 spd on regular bike and my knees have been knackered over the years

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Oneup carbon bar is the correct answer! Not what ever you bought.
Cracked mine (One Up carbon) on ebike. Due excessive compressive loads of ebike and if heavier rider, +200lbs and/or ride fairly aggressively, I wouldnā€™t recommend carbon bars for anyone, especially in 35 diameter. Come to think of it, I have cracked all my 35mm carbon bars within first year or two on regular and ebike (Race Face Sixc, Chromag FZA, OneUp). Spank Alu and Vibrocore is what I had to eventually go to cause if those failurea

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Had to think what shoddy component/part I regretted purchasing for moment while reading and commenting on some the repliesā€¦the garbage part for me that was complete waste of coin has to go to Tubolito S-Tubo emergency tube. Everytime I had to use it it failed/tore within first 10-15 minutes of use. Bought, overpriced Tubo patches that were of no help. Complete waste compared to regular tube in my opinion for emergencies when tire fails/tears. Fortunately, CushCore with 2-ply tires has kept this to a minimum for me so far

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Had to think what shoddy component/part I regretted purchasing for moment while reading and commenting on some the repliesā€¦the garbage part for me that was complete waste of coin has to go to Tubolito S-Tubo emergency tube. Everytime I had to use it it failed/tore within first 10-15 minutes of use. Bought, overpriced Tubo patches that were of no help. Complete waste compared to regular tube in my opinion for emergencies when tire fails/tears. Fortunately, CushCore with 2-ply tires has kept this to a minimum for me so far
Oh dear! I bought two of those for my mullet bike. The previous "proper" inner tubes were huge and taking up a large amount of room in my pack. I can only hope that when it comes to using them that I have a better experience than you reported.

Binhill1

šŸŠ Tango Man šŸŠ
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
What was i thinking. Actually opened the box for the first time today 3 years ago I got it . Will try and sell it locally.

20221107_102155.jpg 20221107_102134.jpg

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
A Trek Rail with crappy Rib battery design, poorly designed Bosch motor with weak internal mounting brackets and shoddy Purion display that just crapped out for no reason. If didnā€™t get good deal on bike (2020 closeout) would be totally pissed. Annoy as is since bike seems down about 20% of the time. Thank God for back up bike. Rest of components good after replacing the crappy stock stuff that mostly failed within the first month
I think you need to read the title again,
Because the worst thing you bought for your ebike is an ebike.
:)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Iā€™ve had Gemini and chromag carbon bars and have never cracked them.

Iā€™m 212lbs and have never cracked bars from bad landings. Maybe youā€™re damaging them in crashes and then they break on compression?

I would have rode in a heli if my bars cracked here.

BZA bars.

Also carbon View attachment 100980
No crash damage I am aware of, just enough cracks and failures to not trust them anymore. I donā€™t typically do big drops like that, some big jumps to nice transitions is all and I weigh a bit less. Mostly just a trail/all-mt rider here FWIW, I have never cracked or had total failure of 31.8 carbon, only 35 if that matters

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I think you need to read the title again,
Because the worst thing you bought for your ebike is an ebike.
:)
True story šŸ˜ despite ebikes being very fun and efficient way to shred. Just regret getting one with lame battery/electronic integration, drive unit that fails fairly easily. The rest of parts I selected all good. Tubolito back tubes are a waste as a part Iā€™d say, especially on ebike

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Oh dear! I bought two of those for my mullet bike. The previous "proper" inner tubes were huge and taking up a large amount of room in my pack. I can only hope that when it comes to using them that I have a better experience than you reported.
Maybe just pack a smaller tube? Like a lighter weight 26ā€. That is what I do for my 29ā€ bikes with packing just one 27.5ā€ tube (no way CushCore out back coming off easily, so ride out flat for me). With that said I still have 26ā€ tube in back of my 29ā€ hardtail after a tear that is still going strong so left erā€ in there, no issues

Last edited:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA

The diameter is super critical. I put one rated for 2.5ā€ wide tires in the wifeā€™s 2.6ā€ and it failed almost instantly on inflation. They have no stretch at all. In fact Iā€™d rate that tube for 2.4 max. When I removed it I could see how it had pulled itself apart.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Seven Litres! That should be more than enough!!
You'd be surprised. Often as not, I have to do a two stage process where I put a tube in, pump it up to seat the tyre, take the tube out again & use the inflator to blow the now one unseated side onto the bead. Even then, it can take three or four attempts to work. Might be my tyre & wheel combo but I find tubeless a chore. One thing that I've found to work very well is a bit of GT85 on the rim bead. Just be sure to clean off your brake disc before refitting.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
EXO should have no place at all on ebike. Just not durable enough. EXO+ not any better, double down ok, front only šŸ˜‰
I am not a fattie. I also use Cushcore. I would also say it depends where you ride and what type of trails you ride on :unsure:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I am not a fattie. I also use Cushcore. I would also say it depends where you ride and what type of trails you ride on :unsure:
Very true. Just think weight of ebike over whelms the integrity of most all single ply tires especially under heavy loads or riding aggressively even with higher pressures. My Rail weighs about 53 lbs and most tires scream for mercy when riding. Schwalbe Super Gravity with CushCore rear seems to work ok for me. Regardless, my rear tire is usually roasted within 2 months on ebike. Currently running EXO Shorty on regular bike no issues in the loam and slower late fall/winter conditions here in PacNW

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty convinced that I want to get the Cushcore. My area is very mixed, from rocky to quicksand, and loose over hard. Lower pressure is good, rim protection is good.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Had to think what shoddy component/part I regretted purchasing

Holy crap, man! šŸ•šŸ’©

Trek Rail is terrible.
Bosch motor is terrible.
EXO is terrible.
EXO+ is terrible.
Shimano 12 spd derailleur is terrible.
Race Face carbon bars are terrible
Chromag carbon bars are terrible.
OneUp carbon bars are terrible.
Tubolito S-Tubo tubes are terrible.
When riding at that level, is there ever a time when you get to finish a ride without something breaking?
šŸ˜¦

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Holy crap, man!šŸ•šŸ’©

Trek Rail is terrible.
Bosch motor is terrible.
EXO is terrible.
EXO+ is terrible.
When riding at that level, is there ever a time when you get to finish a ride without something breaking?
šŸ˜¦
I really hope the first two in particular aren't a 100% thing, because I just got both :)

I have had two ride-stopping breakages. But neither Treks fault. Touch wood lol...

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I thought that the mech hanger and the bolt securing it to the frame were still supposed to serve that role. You sound like you believe that they no longer do so, is that the case? When did things change? Or is it more a case of creeping change in that mechs have got weaker in the cause of cost saving and the hangers and bolts have stayed the same?
The mech hanger is there more to protect your frame, not so much the derailleur. Back in the old days the mech was directly attached to your frame. When people started to go off road and something snagged in the mech it could bend and/or damage the frame and that's where the hanger was developed. This became a bigger problem when aluminium frames became common as continually straightening the welded on hanger mount would cause it to crack.

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Holy crap, man!šŸ•šŸ’©

Trek Rail is terrible.
Bosch motor is terrible.
EXO is terrible.
EXO+ is terrible.
šŸ˜¦
šŸ˜. Bike in shop..again for past weeks getting new head unit replaced so no ebike riding and on regular bike (good for me to work on some finesse). Usually go for many rides with no failures if of any short. Problem is, I ride a lot (Well over 3,000 miles, 665,000 vertical feet for year so far on fairly demanding/challenging terrain). So, for most, the above failures wouldnā€™t happen I think. I value durability over most everything so I can keep riding and bike out of the shop for warranty repairs and what not. Probably why I was selected to be wheel tester for local builder/dealer. Wish I can get bike companies to let me test their bikes over lifespan of warranty period to see how well it holds. My buddy breaks more shit than I (he is heavier, ā€œclumbsierā€ however) so I feel fortunate in that regard.

Cheers!

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Holy crap, man!šŸ•šŸ’©

Trek Rail is terrible.
Bosch motor is terrible.
EXO is terrible.
EXO+ is terrible.
šŸ˜¦
Above not terrible, just not as trusty as some may think. Rail geo great and fun bike to ride of course, just needs major over haul/updating on the ā€œeā€ side of things like what they did with the Fuel-EXe. My Rail is 2020, so fairly dated already in the ebike world. Most people no failures with above parts and likely be fine. I just had enough that canā€™t go back and had to move onto something else more durable/solid for me

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
like what they did with the Fuel-EXe
Having had an EXe for six weeks & 500kms, I wouldn't go putting money down on it being more durable than the Rail in any category frame/motor/electronics. I'm happy to be wrong if it turns out that way, but I'd say good luck with that...

A lot people seem to be after a Rail with a full powered TQ. I'm not so eager. I'm not sure I'd want it over my current 2022 Bosch (and moreso whatever Bosch does next).

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Having had an EXe for six weeks & 500kms, I wouldn't go putting money down on it being more durable than the Rail in any category frame/motor/electronics. I'm happy to be wrong if it turns out that way, but I'd say good luck with that...

A lot people seem to be after a Rail with a full powered TQ. I'm not so eager. I'm not sure I'd want it over my current 2022 Bosch (and moreso whatever Bosch does next).
Thanks for feedback. My only reservation is that the 50Nm TCU would feel a bit weak. Love the battery and display integration on that though especially compared to Rail with RIB that rattles and disconnects at times when thumping unless two super tight straps wrapped around the top and bottom of battery. No external clunky/chunky head unit display looks good. Bike (Fuel Exe) would replace my Hightower as pedal trail bike. Somewhat optimistic of new Trek with TCU due to +10 lb weight difference of Rail and near drag free when pedalling above 20mph or when motor off. Been riding my Hightower a ton lately while Rail down and dreaming of just a little more boost up the sustained climbs and undulations on trail to keep the flow and momentum going.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Thanks for feedback. My only reservation is that the 50Nm TCU would feel a bit weak. Love the battery and display integration on that though especially compared to Rail with RIB that rattles and disconnects at times when thumping unless two super tight straps wrapped around the top and bottom of battery. No external clunky/chunky head unit display looks good. Bike (Fuel Exe) would replace my Hightower as pedal trail bike. Somewhat optimistic of new Trek with TCU due to +10 lb weight difference of Rail and near drag free when pedalling above 20mph or when motor off. Been riding my Hightower a ton lately while Rail down and dreaming of just a little more boost up the sustained climbs and undulations on trail to keep the flow and momentum going.
ā€¦so Fuel Exe would not be Rail replacement, but rather Hightower replacement for trail duties, Rail for steeper/more demanding terrain with my 1250 watts of juice. Local Trek store has them in stock in my size, need to get it out for test ride to see how motor does. Was not impressed at all with weak power of Kenevo SL when testing due to 35Nm motor and low wattage when lighter weight ebike. At well over 50 lbs, my Rail gets pounded due to extra weight I think (3rd motor, replaced front and rear triangle and many snapped internal motor bracket mounting bolts from use, lots of lower pivot, ABP, lower shock mount pivot bearings). Tons of damaged wheels, torn tires, etc. Even worn out stanchion of rear shock (coil) in 8 months as well. I think the heavier the bike when ridden like you would a normal bike, the more stress on bike and all itā€™s parts)

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
ā€¦so Fuel Exe would not be Rail replacement, but rather Hightower replacement for trail duties, Rail for steeper/more demanding terrain with my 1250 watts of juice. Local Trek store has them in stock in my size, need to get it out for test ride to see how motor does. Was not impressed at all with weak power of Kenevo SL when testing due to 35Nm motor and low wattage when lighter weight ebike. At well over 50 lbs, my Rail gets pounded due to extra weight I think (3rd motor, replaced front and rear triangle and many snapped internal motor bracket mounting bolts from use, lots of lower pivot, ABP, lower shock mount pivot bearings). Tons of damaged wheels, torn tires, etc. Even worn out stanchion of rear shock (coil) in 8 months as well. I think the heavier the bike when ridden like you would a normal bike, the more stress on bike and all itā€™s parts)
Well, it'll be interesting to see what bike you find that copes a lot better with that kind of beating... Good luck with that search...

FWIW, the Bontrager carbons are worth a look if you've been bending alloy wheels. It's a huge difference in strength. They actually take big impacts without so much as a mark on them, in my experience thus far. I do tend to nuke alloy wheels often the only thing that saves them is cushcore.

I dunno if from what you're saying your Rail has been "the worst thing" you bought though (as per the thread title). I'm not sure how many other bikes would fair much better to be honest.

EDIT: I think going lighter weight to get something that's more durable because it's lighter doesn't really make sense. Sounds to me like you need more travel and a beefier frame built like a tank. Like a Focus Sam2, or a Kenevo... just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
Well, it'll be interesting to see what bike you find that copes a lot better with that kind of beating... Good luck with that search...

FWIW, the Bontrager carbons are worth a look if you've been bending alloy wheels. It's a huge difference in strength. They actually take big impacts without so much as a mark on them, in my experience thus far. I do tend to nuke alloy wheels often the only thing that saves them is cushcore.

I dunno if from what you're saying your Rail has been "the worst thing" you bought though (as per the thread title). I'm not sure how many other bikes would fair much better to be honest.

EDIT: I think going lighter weight to get something that's more durable because it's lighter doesn't really make sense. Sounds to me like you need more travel and a beefier frame built like a tank. Like a Focus Sam2, or a Kenevo... just my 2 cents.
Good points, I still think weight of bike loads and stresses everything a lot more than similar class of bike that is much lighter, since I donā€™t have the same failure issues on regular bike. Ebike just accelerates wear faster I think due to more miles/vertical per year as well.

Bontrager carbon wheels likely not strong enough for heavy duties especially since I cracked Alu Race Face HD wheel at nipple following Bontrager Comp Alu roasted in two weeks (rear of getting). Cracked tester heavy duty carbon rim (with CushCore and 30 rear psi, 2-ply tires) within two weeks that weighed closed to 600g/rim like SC Reserve. On another heavier duty, thicker rim (650g/rim), 38/33mm with thick ass sidewalls and heavy use over past 4 months, no cracks, just superficial fissuring of top layer of carbon from rock strike not long after wheelbuild. Thing still holding great and excellent stiffness and support for high speed e-blasting on varied terrain.

If you experienced no premature failures of Fuel-Exe during your period of testing, I am fairly optimistic that bike was designed well and durable enough for general trail riding duties. If you have experienced issues, please comment if you care to

Jon

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
FWIW, my buddy has +60 lb Kenevo with constant loosening of pivot bolts following rides, sometimes only one ride despite proper torque and locktite.

I still think, lighter, more efficient ebikes is the way to go, given parts meet the demand. FWIW, I never cracked my Rail, they just replaced front and rear triangle eventually due to concerns for alignment due to power cutting out and rear ABP bearing wore into frame despite bearing replacement every 4-6 months with no/minimal wet weather riding.

I am excited to see what the new Rail looks like with, especially applying some of the new tech and design they did with Fuel Exe. Bike should be 170/160 min travel of course like Slash and like a bit more torque on motor.

Reactions: Zed

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles