Wobbly Wheels

softtailcruiser

Patreon
Nov 23, 2018
Tamworth
Hello,

I’m posting this as it may not be specific to my Levo.

I’ve got some play in the front wheel which doesn’t go away even if I tighten it right up into the forks. Only noticed it about a week ago.

It’s a Specialized Levo full-sus, basic 2019 model and the wheels are Roval Traverse. Not sure who makes the hubs. Not an expert on this stuff.

Only done about 600 miles, about half and half offroad and road, amd the off-road has been mainly canal towpath and bridlepath.

Is this normal or is it something I am going to have to complain about?

Also having problems with the motor, but I’ll post that one on the Specialized thread.

Softy.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
How do you mean play in the forks? Is it forward backwards...? Have you had a stack at all?

It might be the crown bolt. Try tightening the bot under the two forks. That quite frequently comes loose after an accident...Where the fork and the top of the steer tube meet.

softtailcruiser

Patreon
Nov 23, 2018
Tamworth
The play is between the wheel and the forks. Feels like it is in the hub. It is side to side. I.e.if I lift the front wheel off the ground, and grip the tyre between finger and thumb, I can wiggle it side to side about a mm or so.

I’m also having motor problems, so I am going to contact retailer tomorrow, as these things are unacceptable so soon into ownership.

Not impressed, to be honest, and can see elsewhere on here that I am not alone!

The forks are fine, just for clarity! I might take a video. Can I post it on here?

Last edited:

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Wheel bearings are made of cheese.
Replace wheel bearings with steel jap bearings if you want them to last any length of time. Cheese is not good to make bearings from.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Mine had play so I just popped the caps to see what bearings were in there.
They are 6902-2RS and I’ll get some through the week.
Leaver off the outer spacer (left) it has an oring searing it. Using a screwdriver bash out the spacer (middle) it comes as 2 pieces, inner and outer. There the bearing sits. I plan to bash this out with a screwdriver from the inside at the opposite end, just like I did with the rears a few months back.
A socket of suitable size smashes it all back together.

49A3F1BE-4477-4E01-B9EC-11860C9374E2.jpeg

AD9D043A-1775-4038-B213-7AA27CAEF83E.jpeg

5BB659F3-ED6A-4851-A44E-440820BD5358.jpeg

7DB0E850-D67B-44FD-BE76-94005C576EEC.jpeg

19D4B997-C8F7-4943-8831-F0AFBCD8B444.jpeg

5495B07F-A65E-4BE7-B6D4-AECC42D7FF8D.jpeg

09BED75F-C960-4691-A2B9-3F9E48A2BFA6.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Does sound like the wheel bearings - if you dont feel confident its a simple job for LBS and the bearings are cheap as chips

softtailcruiser

Patreon
Nov 23, 2018
Tamworth
Great reply @outerlimits , thanks. It will help lots of others with the same issue hopefully.

However, I don't feel confident with that, and it is still well within the warranty period.

It’s going into the Specialized concept store in Birmingham next week for them to deal with it and all the other issues. Luckily I only work a couple of miles from it.

Also, I really like cheese, and it is just cruel to make it into bearings.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Spesh don’t normally warranty bearings. They said no to me when I tried at 1800km on the rears. Hope you have more success with not having much use.
Incidentally rear bearings are 6903 LBLU and much easier imo to remove and replace.

Bearings made out of cheese tend to be toast after a short while. Mmmm cheese on toast, great eating, no good as bearings.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Spesh don’t normally warranty bearings. They said no to me when I tried at 1800km on the rears. Hope you have more success with not having much use.
Incidentally rear bearings are 6903 LBLU and much easier imo to remove and replace.

Bearings made out of cheese tend to be toast after a short while. Mmmm cheese on toast, great eating, no good as bearings.
The wheels and frame come with a lifetime warranty, including spokes, hubs, bearings etc

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
The wheels and frame come with a lifetime warranty, including spokes, hubs, bearings etc

There is no lifetime warranty on wheels and as previously stated Specialized don't give warranty on wheel bearings!

Karsten

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Using that method to replace the bearings I am not surprised the replacements do not last long! Its fairly easy to create a tool to press the bearings into place.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Using that method to replace the bearings I am not surprised the replacements do not last long! Its fairly easy to create a tool to press the bearings into place.
Hang on .... on the rear my original bearings lasted 1800km and I suspect the proper tools were used at the factory to put them in.
I used a hammer, screwdriver and socket to replace them, and those bearings have done 4700km and still going strong.
It’s not rocket science ?‍♂️

Btw the fronts are 6902 2RS
And the rears are 6903 LBLU
I had no problems bashing them in and out.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have not bothered to look at my ebikes as not had any issues but have had bearing issues quite often in the past with my other bikes The thing I learned from my first issue is that it doesn't matter what OEM wheels you have, they all use the cheapest (and often lowest quality) bearings available. After replacing with decent quality units I rarely had any issues. One of the bikes I sold 15 years ago was recently purchased by a friends boy and the bearings were still serviceable.
This is something I have come across with motocross bikes since the 70's, but happy to say that over the past 15 years or so most now use at least middle grades as standard now.

Back when I took up mountain-biking I had a few issues with the cup & cone setup so went to my local bearing shop & purchased a pair of bearings that fitted the OD of the cups. I then machined a couple step-down adapters to suit the 9mm skewers and never had any problems.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hang on .... on the rear my original bearings lasted 1800km and I suspect the proper tools were used at the factory to put them in.
I used a hammer, screwdriver and socket to replace them, and those bearings have done 4700km and still going strong.
It’s not rocket science ?‍♂️

Btw the fronts are 6902 2RS
And the rears are 6903 LBLU
I had no problems bashing them in and out.
Fine but I assume you were a little more gentle and careful than your description of your method suggests! Using a press to apply a constant pressure and to ensure the bearing remains square ensures that the integrity of the cartridge is not compromised and no damage is done before it even starts its life! All it needs to make a press is a length of threaded bar a couple of nuts and some washers and spacers....or you in fact use the old bearing as a spacer on the bar.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles