Winter tips and tricks!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
So now heading into colder weather I e been wondering more and more how to store my bike. Battery in house every night? Whole bike in house ? Leave bike in shed with blanket over it?

So thought it would be a great idea to start a thread where people can post there tips and tricks on looking after, riding, and maintaining your e bikes in winter!

Look forward to reading some tips :).

Last edited:

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
At 0°c I'll definitely keep the battery inside.
The whole bike will stay inside, at home. At work I'll leave the bike in the shed and take the battery inside just like I did when it was too hot in summer.

I'll fit a neoprene cover to ride it. Think I'm good to go.

Airz

Aug 16, 2018
Farnborough
Actually storing lithium ion batteries in the cold is recommended as is storing them at about 40% charge. Just make sure you warm it back up again before you want to use it otherwise it won't perform very well. Just like most batteries its a chemical reaction so storing them at low temperature slows down the reaction and reduces the battery deterioration.
When I get back from a ride I usually charge the battery to around 40% and then only fully charge it the night before I plan to go out again.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The new Giants have quite a neat feature which is a storage charge setting, where they stop the charge at 60% fo longer term storage.

Most manauls i have read recommend leaving the battery at 60-75% charge if they are not going to be used for a while.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Anything that I can throw over the bike in the shed (without the battery attached,I'll keep that in when it's properly cold) that will keep its temperature from causing damage?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Decent bike cover should keep moisture away from bike
Would a blanket do the same. As I find bike covers are so fussy to out in right and coming back from. A night rude in the winter I would rather be able to give it a wipe down and then quickly cover it with a blanket/bed sheet then start having to line everything up to get it to fit correctly

R80

Aug 19, 2018
UK
My kenevo’s been in the house since I’ve had it,my analogue bikes are “well jell”..

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
My kenevo’s been in the house since I’ve had it,my analogue bikes are “well jell”..
I would do this but my wife would hate me and I couldn't deal with the constant moaning. My bike gear already clogs up half the conservatory with helmets and jackets and shoes. I just hope keeping battery inside and covering the rest of bike up with a sheet in the cold depths of autumn/winter and spring will be enough.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
How do people keep head and ears warm with a helmet on in wjnter? As most time going 15mph+ wind chill on ears is a real thing ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
hahah :D

TBF I'm Scottish and grew up on one of the windiest East coast cliffs in the country. I don't really feel the cold. I get too hot if I wear a helmet so hardly ever do.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Actually storing lithium ion batteries in the cold is recommended as is storing them at about 40% charge. Just make sure you
why do all the websites say to store them at 10-20c then? which I wouldn't consider "cold" in the winter

Even Bosch website says

At what temperatures can, or should, I operate and store the components?​

For the drive unit and display components, the operating temperature is - 5°C to +40°C and the storage temperature is +10°C to +40°C.

The ideal storage temperature for the battery is +10°C to +20°C.​

Panasonic say room temp for storage and they make a lot of batteries so
Recommended storage for batteries is between 30%-60%

so I always charge mine to around 50 if I won't be using the bike for a few weeks.

Last edited:

RiderOnTheStorm

@Ark Yes, lithium-ion batteries require special care to maximize their longevity and lifespan. Here are some basic guidelines and best practices I've learned over the years:
  • Length of time at full or zero charge is what degrades batteries. Never discharge the battery below 10%.
  • Never keep the battery charged at 100% unless you're about to ride. For example, fully charge the battery only the night or morning before a ride.
  • Charge the battery at room temperature (15-20° C). Charging at low temperatures, below 0°C will irreparably degrade the cells. Heat above 35°C when discharging or riding will degrade the battery.
  • Store the battery at room temperature (15-20° C). When storing a battery for extended time, keep it at 50-60% charged. In storage, verify the charge every 6 months and recharge as needed.
  • Batteries should not be recharged immediately if they are only slightly discharged. Recharge the battery only if between 10% and 20%
  • Always let the battery cool down for at least 30 min after recharging it before going for a ride.
  • Let the battery cool down for at least 30 min after the ride before recharging it.
  • On first use, drain the new battery (10-20%) and fully charge it (100%) at least 5 times initially.

Last edited:

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
The new Giants have quite a neat feature which is a storage charge setting, where they stop the charge at 60% fo longer term storage.

Most manauls i have read recommend leaving the battery at 60-75% charge if they are not going to be used for a while.
They have always had that feature, just press the battery button.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles