Winter Battery Care Reminder

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
As long as your batteries are at storage voltage (30-50%) and not actually below freezing there should be no negative impact to storing in a shed or garage. However the performance of lithium cells (an all batteries for that matter) is diminished at low temperatures, so make sure you let them come up to room temp before charging and (if you have an external mount battery and live in a cold place) consider a battery "jacket" to keep it a few degrees warmer on the trail.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are some good neoprene battery jackets out there for the external Bosch and Shimano batteries

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Last night dipped to 1 Deg C in Southern England, so time to store your batteries indoors - mine are in the wardrobe at 50%
See this storing battery's at a certain % is a little bit of a annoyance to me. As alot of my rides are random. I finish work early and I'll jump on the bike or it will be a nice morning at 6am on a Saturday and I'll get up early and go out for a few hours. I don't really plan my rides in such a way I know when to have them fully charhed. So I just charge mine after most rides back to full. But there never stood for more than a couple days. Just hope I'm not ruining the baytery...

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
See this storing battery's at a certain % is a little bit of a annoyance to me. As alot of my rides are random. I finish work early and I'll jump on the bike or it will be a nice morning at 6am on a Saturday and I'll get up early and go out for a few hours. I don't really plan my rides in such a way I know when to have them fully charhed. So I just charge mine after most rides back to full. But there never stood for more than a couple days. Just hope I'm not ruining the baytery...
Unless you are draining the pack fully every time you are probably best to store it at ~70% rather than 100% charge. If you do that the internal damage due to dendrite growth primarily caused by storage at elevated state of charge (SOC) is reduced, but you can still do the same rides every few days.

Imaging dangerous dendrite growth inside a Li-ion battery | Chemical & Engineering News

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's £32 delivered anyway. Yeah. an old wet suit leg/arm and 5 minutes with a pair of scissors would probably do the job. Think I might even still have some of the kids old ones stashed somewhere.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Seen any reasonably priced ones? All the ones I've seen have been about 35 quid
If you (or someone you know) is handy with a sewing machine an old wetsuit, some thread and an hour or so may well do the job...

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Just asked my wife to sew one for me... she's too busy :oops:.

Yup going to grab that 30€ Fahrer at my local shop.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you (or someone you know) is handy with a sewing machine an old wetsuit, some thread and an hour or so may well do the job...
An hour?
I was more thinking just cut the arm of the suit to roughly the correct length of the battery and pop the battery inside it..
No sewing.

@Doomanic's suggestion is better

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles