Battery care.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
As someone who is relatively new to the ebike world I have a couple of obvious questions that I'm sure has been asked a thousand times before.

If I only use say 60% on a ride should I fully recharge for next time out ? All being equal that my next ride would still have enough left.

Should I fully recharge the same day I've used it despite it may be a week before I ride again ? Or should I just recharge the night before my ride.

Thanks in advance.

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Keep it at about 60%ish if you’re not going to use it for several days/week or longer.
I sometimes charge mine (top it up to 100%) the night before a ride or just do it on the day I ride.
If something comes up and I can’t ride I don’t lose sleep over leaving it at 100% for a couple of days/nights but if I know I’m not going to use it for a week or so then I’ll go out for a ride and use up 40%ish so it’s back down to 60ish.
After a big ride I leave it a couple of hours before I charge it back up to 60ish. Had my bike since July 2019 here’s some battery stats -
Total charge cycles so far 65, Battery Max Wh 491, Total miles 2023

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I have been out, I charge the bike for an hour or so, depending upon the level of charge on the battery. That normally takes it to the 60-80% range, where I leave it until the next ride. Before a ride, if its an early start I'll top up to 100% the night before, otherwise I'll leave it until morning.

Like @congerball says, don't lose sleep over it. Batteries normally prefer to be stored at 60-80% charge, but a day or so at 100% isn't going to kill it.

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
I don’t really ride mine much over winter, so it will be weeks / months of potential non-usage (will use the analogue more) - my battery is currently at 48% charge and being stored inside the house. Is this an ‘ok’ level to keep stored or would anyone recommend less charge / more charge???

thanks for any comments

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'd give it a bit more until it is at least 60%. I cannot believe that it is critical that you are EXACTLY any particular figure, but what I have read is that 60-80% is where the battery suffers least when being stored.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles