Whyte e160rsx vs 180rsx vs alternatives?

sb0y

Mar 8, 2023
UK
Looking for some advice on first ebike please.

Currently still riding my 2013 zesty though I upgraded to some '21 fox 36 factory forks a while back.

I mostly ride at FOD or trips to BPW or similar places. Definitely focus more on gravity stuff rather than trails nowadays.

l originally really wanted the yeti 160e but more I read the more I went off the idea of a shimano motor, especially at that money.

I see the local shop has some really good deals and am currently trying to decide between the e180 rsx and the e160rsx.

Im currently convincing myself I need the 180 as it has the better kit, I already have a 160mm bike and I feel like I want to be able to handle more aggressive runs. Also coming from 26" wheels I thought I may prefer a mullet.

However, the LBS doesnt currently have the 180rsx in stock, the orange 160rsx looks much nicer, and really im not as big a hitter yet on the jumps and drops as I like to think.

Am I overthinking it and should just go with the 160? I see the forks could be adjusted to 170mm in the future. That would seem like a nice compromise or would it ruin the geo?

Are there any other bikes I should be considering?

Thanks for any advice

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush, as the saying goes. In other words, a bike in stock is better than one on order! 😂

People should stop getting hung up on geo. Once riding the geo will be changing constantly as the suspension moves and you move around on the bike. The 160 can go to 170 with a small change but I bet you £10 you won't feel the difference in geo! 😉

Also, get the orange 160 as it looks nicer! These things are important... 😂

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My E180 RS is 2020 so cannot comment on the latest iteration but I also have the E160 RSX ( in Orange)...it will not disappoint....it is outstanding almost regardless what type of riding you prefer.

sb0y

Mar 8, 2023
UK
Thanks for the info. Shops actually messaged they can get hold of the 180 rsx too so availability not an issue.

What sort of riding do you guys do on the 180s?

I did see there was meant to be a demo day at fod for both bikes this weekend which would have been ideal but it's been cancelled or something.

It's a huge amount of money to regret getting the wrong model!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Looking for some advice on first ebike please.

Currently still riding my 2013 zesty though I upgraded to some '21 fox 36 factory forks a while back.

I mostly ride at FOD or trips to BPW or similar places. Definitely focus more on gravity stuff rather than trails nowadays.

l originally really wanted the yeti 160e but more I read the more I went off the idea of a shimano motor, especially at that money.

I see the local shop has some really good deals and am currently trying to decide between the e180 rsx and the e160rsx.

Im currently convincing myself I need the 180 as it has the better kit, I already have a 160mm bike and I feel like I want to be able to handle more aggressive runs. Also coming from 26" wheels I thought I may prefer a mullet.

However, the LBS doesnt currently have the 180rsx in stock, the orange 160rsx looks much nicer, and really im not as big a hitter yet on the jumps and drops as I like to think.

Am I overthinking it and should just go with the 160? I see the forks could be adjusted to 170mm in the future. That would seem like a nice compromise or would it ruin the geo?

Are there any other bikes I should be considering?

Thanks for any advice
There's some excellent deals to be had on the Yeti 160e, T series for around £9k and the C series around £8k, if the bike has the Shimano 801 ( refreshed from the 800 - see Shimano website for details of the motor ) as it allows for free shift and auto shift when paired with Di2, more customization, lighter unit and better heat management, and the important bit, it doesn't rattle, plenty of reviews on YouTube, have fun whatever you choose.

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Thanks for the info. Shops actually messaged they can get hold of the 180 rsx too so availability not an issue.

What sort of riding do you guys do on the 180s?

I did see there was meant to be a demo day at fod for both bikes this weekend which would have been ideal but it's been cancelled or something.

It's a huge amount of money to regret getting the wrong model!
Yes it’s a big layout, but with all the research you’ve done and some advice from users here, head down to your LBS and have a good chat. With the huge rise in popularity, they don’t need to “sell” you a bike in order for it to sell. Some LBS’ can’t keep up with demand. There’s no benefit to you coming back complaining about your purchase. From my experience, a good LBS will get you on the right bike for you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles