Whyte E160 RSX Cassette removal

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
Hi All,
Feel a bit of a numpty with this question but can't find answer anywhere just Got a new Whyte E160 RSX with XG1275 cassette was setting up tubeless and noticed the cassette can just be removed straight off hub with no tools can't see a thread where you tighten back on am I missing something? when on bike appears to be locked in place fine.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
Hi All,
Feel a bit of a numpty with this question but can't find answer anywhere just Got a new Whyte E160 RSX with XG1275 cassette was setting up tubeless and noticed the cassette can just be removed straight off hub with no tools can't see a thread where you tighten back on am I missing something? when on bike appears to be locked in place fine.
Wondering the same thing. Took my rear wheel off yesterday and the cassette just fell off, I just plonked it back on, hopefully I’ve done it properly 😂

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
Wondering the same thing. Took my rear wheel off yesterday and the cassette just fell off, I just plonked it back on, hopefully I’ve done it properly 😂
Does seam strange feels secure when in bike but never had a cassette before that does that

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Depends on what hub. DT Swiss etc are kept in place by the outer wheel spacer. The cassette comes off with the freehub still bolted on.

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
Depends on what hub. DT Swiss etc are kept in place by the outer wheel spacer. The cassette comes off with the freehub still bolted on.
yes dt Swiss 350 hub must be right have had a good look and there is nothing missing just new tech works on a ratchet mechanism as oppose to pawls and springs been using hope for so many years so just wasn't expecting it

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a Whyte T130 and only a few weeks in when I removed the wheel the whole cassette as one unit (still bolted together) fell off! I too wondered if this was some new way of clamping. There was no obvious shear or fracture marks, all the metal looked smooth and shiny. It turned out that the hub shaft had sheared through. The lack of shear marks on the shaft was because it had been rubbing. It was only the clamping force of the Maxle that was holding it all together. It looked like a designed solution. But I could not accept that the Maxle clamping force was the only thing to transmit the torque from my legs and contacted the LBS from where I bought the bike.

These were the notes I made at the time:
26th Jan’17 @ 158m. The rear hub axle has sheared clean through! Only discovered when I removed the rear wheel and the whole cassette fell onto the floor. The QR axle is badly scored where the hub axle sheared. Warranty claim. Why did it fail? Check the dropout alignment (spot on). Check the Maxle diameter, (fine, not tapered). Check whether the cassette was properly secured (yes).

3rd Feb’17 @ 158m. The complete freehub has been replaced and all bearings, seals, pawls springs etc. The hub axle is now steel (painted black) instead of aluminium alloy. The Maxle was also replaced and was reset to give the correct clamping force.

I did have some pictures for the warranty claim, but can't find them now. The workshop guy from the LBS looked at the pics and diagnosed the issue. He said that he had never seen it before.

Last edited:

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
I had a Whyte T130 and only a few weeks in when I removed the wheel the whole cassette as one unit (still bolted together) fell off! I too wondered if this was some new way of clamping. There was no obvious shear or fracture marks, all the metal looked smooth and shiny. It turned out that the hub shaft had sheared through. The lack of shear marks on the shaft was because it had been rubbing. It was only the clamping force of the Maxle that was holding it all together. It looked like a designed solution. But I could not accept that the Maxle clamping force was the only thing to transmit the torque from my legs and contacted the LBS from where I bought the bike.

These were the notes I made at the time:
26th Jan’17 @ 158m. The rear hub axle has sheared clean through! Only discovered when I removed the rear wheel and the whole cassette fell onto the floor. The QR axle is badly scored where the hub axle sheared. Warranty claim. Why did it fail? Check the dropout alignment (spot on). Check the Maxle diameter, (fine, not tapered). Check whether the cassette was properly secured (yes).

3rd Feb’17 @ 158m. The complete freehub has been replaced and all bearings, seals, pawls springs etc. The hub axle is now steel (painted black) instead of aluminium alloy. The Maxle was also replaced and was reset to give the correct clamping force.

I did have some pictures for the warranty claim, but can't find them now. The workshop guy from the LBS looked at the pics and diagnosed the issue. He said that he had never seen it before.
Hi very detailed thank you don't think this is a fault think its the way its designed.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On a Dt Swiss 350 hub the XD freehub is held on by the end cap. The cassette threads onto the freehub ( no cassette nut but the same shimano cassette nut tool is used to screw the one piece cassette onto the freehub).
If the cassette together with freehub merely falls off when the wheel is removed it means the end cap was either not "clicked" back onto the hub axle properly, or is faulty. On my E160 RSX I remove the cassette and then have to fit the end cap into vice soft jaws and lever off using the wheel.
So if you can remove the end cap very easilly ( or indeed it just falls off) I suggest you replace it.

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
On a Dt Swiss 350 hub the XD freehub is held on by the end cap. The cassette threads onto the freehub ( no cassette nut but the same shimano cassette nut tool is used to screw the one piece cassette onto the freehub).
If the cassette together with freehub merely falls off when the wheel is removed it means the end cap was either not "clicked" back onto the hub axle properly, or is faulty. On my E160 RSX I remove the cassette and then have to fit the end cap into vice soft jaws and lever off using the wheel.
So if you can remove the end cap very easilly ( or indeed it just falls off) I suggest you replace it.
Thank you need to take another look tomorrow, the cassette is solid on bike with no movement but thought strange that the cassette just came off so easily when wheel was off bike.

simonc

Jan 6, 2020
Ormskirk
Thank you need to take another look tomorrow, the cassette is solid on bike with no movement but thought strange that the cassette just came off so easily when wheel was off bike.
The free hub doesn't come off just the cassette

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The free hub doesn't come off just the cassette
Put the cassette complete with freehub back on the wheel. Hold the cassette with a chain whip. Insert a shimano cassette tool into the centre of the cassette and unscrew counterclockwise. It will take some effort since tightening torque is 50nm. The cassette is one piece and will unscrew from the XD freehub. Normally you would then need to remove the end cap in order to remove the freehub from the hub (I described how I do that a bove)................it seems yours just falls off so you can then remove the freehub from the hub.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles