Whyte E-160 RS V1 2021 vs Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC 2021(a comparison beaten to death i guess)

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
Hi,

Just looking for some advice and input regarding above bikes. I narrowed it down to these two as I have a Cube dealer about 10 min from my house (he has some bikes on order but not sure when they will arrive). I also have found a Whyte E-160 RS V1 2021 in stock with a dealer about 3hrs drive.

Do I support the really local guy and wait and get the Cube or do I order the Whyte and get it sooner (keep in min the stock of Cube bike might be here on Tuesday however I have a feeling its unlikely).

Any advice in the bikes would be appreciated. (Not new to MTB world and love to ride most disciplines. Climbing performance is important as living in Scotland plenty of climbing to do around here for good trails)

Thanks

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Buy the Whyte if for no other reason that its built with British weather conditions in mind ..and living in Scotland you only see the sun for one week a year and its pissing down with rain the rest of the time ..so the lifetime warranty on bearings will come in handy ..?
Its also an amazing bike

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
My wife with me pushing here...went from Whyte E150s(3 months old) to a Cube 160 and she’s way happier and so am I it’s easier (a lot) to clean.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Whyte, it’s the only option really.
They are an awesome ride with good UK support.
I burned my rear rotor no issue they just sent a new one to the dealer same week.

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
I guess my biggest issue is how much weight I put on the fact that Whyte dealer is a 3hrs drive vs the cube like 10-15min if a motor breaks I have to cart it 3hrs away to get fixed or pay for postage?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Have you been able to test ride either..?
Even if you just had a quick ride on the cube and liked it ..then the fact that its nearer to you might just make up your mind ..what you havent had you can't miss ..
Having said that the Whyte was always the bike that I wanted ..even though the dealer is 2hrs away ..my thinking being that I could always incorporate taking it for repair with a walk afterwards ..and a ride when picking it up ( they are based in the Lake District ) ..?

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
I had a quick blast on the cube and we are talking like couple of laps around the park (a big park mind you). That was the reason I wanted an emtb. Don’t get me wrong I still love my analog mtb just wanted an emtb for some extra grunt and that climbing performance. Head says get Cube for the fact that the dealer is close but heart says Whyte

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’ve had a 2020 Cube Stereo Hybrid and have just bought an E-160 RS. The battery is much more sealed in the Whyte, but in the Cube it’s more exposed to the elements. My mechanic said the Cube was completely full of mud and water when he serviced it.

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
I’ve had a 2020 Cube Stereo Hybrid and have just bought an E-160 RS. The battery is much more sealed in the Whyte, but in the Cube it’s more exposed to the elements. My mechanic said the Cube was completely full of mud and water when he serviced it.
That’s interesting, thanks for the input. Do you have preference ride wise?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
That’s interesting, thanks for the input. Do you have preference ride wise?

I haven’t ridden the Whyte yet, as I’m just waiting for some protection film to arrive, but will get out on it this week. Side by side in the garage though and the Whyte is the better bike, IMO.

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
That's really interesting. Cube on paper at least to me looks like it has better components (shock/fork combo and shimano) I tend to prefer shimano. That is not to say that SRAM is bad in any way or inferior. Its just to me it feels better I don't know cant describe it. On the other hand I haven't ridden with SRAM for about 10 years so things might have changed

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
That's really interesting. Cube on paper at least to me looks like it has better components (shock/fork combo and shimano) I tend to prefer shimano. That is not to say that SRAM is bad in any way or inferior. Its just to me it feels better I don't know cant describe it. On the other hand I haven't ridden with SRAM for about 10 years so things might have changed

Anyone that’s ridden the Whyte absolutely raves about it, plus the journos seem to love it. I’ve done a load of research, and not found anything bad about it, other than the battery removal, but that’s a non issue for me.

It has a lower centre of gravity than the Cube, which is a huge plus point for me. And you’ll be supporting an English company, which is also a strong selling point.

Their warranty is meant to be second to none, whereas Cube have ignored any queries I’ve had since I’ve had the bike. They wouldn’t even tell me, or my LBS what the paint codes are on my bike, whereas Whyte sell touch up pens on their website.

It’s a small thing, but makes me wonder how they’d be if there were any serious issues with the bike.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I guess my biggest issue is how much weight I put on the fact that Whyte dealer is a 3hrs drive vs the cube like 10-15min if a motor breaks I have to cart it 3hrs away to get fixed or pay for postage?

I'd think more along the lines of the Whyte is UK based with standard Bosch parts with easy access, Cube are a large German company, that means any issues your parts or bike may have to be shipped back to Germany for repair.
Its happened to some of the focus guys, and I had to wait for weeks while the dealer shipped a battery to Germany for testing by Focus, then wait for the new one to be ground shipped back.

So UK or Germany?

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
Thanks this is all helpful. Its good to know. I'm on the heavier side 100kg so lower centre of gravity will definitely help, although with my weight not sure by how much. I only heard good things about Whyte but also not heard a lot of bad things about Cube either apart from some reviews. A mate of mine done almost 5000 miles on his Cube form what I gather he went through 2 Motors (gen 3) second motor went 4000 miles. He now got a gen 4 motor in. Its not an action team but still impressive. I'm starting to lean toward Whyte though slightly

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I had a Cube hardtail last year but test rode the Cube 160 before deciding on the Whyte....great bike. The only worry I had with the previous model was the cable routing looked very exposed but all fixed on the e160RS....Great bike, very reliable so far (1500km) and helpful customer support if you have any questions.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
Both the Whyte and Cube supplier are 10 minutes from home and we went Cube although in fairness the Whyte was only the basic 150, but I work on the Cube and my TLV and the Cube is a joy to work on and way easier to clean, just wish my TLV rolled as well as my other half’s Cube 160, nowt wrong with the Whyte just think the Cube is a better bike, but 3 hour trip to a dealer.... not a hope.

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
The other elephant in the room that currently isn’t talk about...but in time will be and that’s shock mounting, look at motorcycles and in the end they all went the same with a vertically mounted shock, it’s the only way you get constancy.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Another elephant in the room is the spoke mounted magnet on the Cubes. I’m not sure why Cube have gone down this route, and although mine has been fine, others have had issues with the magnet falling off, or moving on a ride.

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
The problem right now is stock. There is literally nothing anywhere. Massive lead times and maybe looking to getting a 2022 model at this rate

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
I really like the idea of buying British and having good back up, if I was buying at that price point these would be big selling points for the Whyte.

One of the main concerns I would have personally would be the battery removal on the Whyte. It looks a proper faff.
Bosch recommend removing the battery before doing any work on the bike or washing it. Also for transportation. They also say that the battery does not like to be stored or charged at low temps. A possible problem living in Scotland?

I have never ridden either bike but own a Cube stereo 140 and have had no issues over 2000 off road miles in all kinds of conditions. (apart from a crappy headset from new). But I've read on the Cube page that their after sales can be poor if you are unlucky enough to have a problem during the warranty period.

Good luck with your choice?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
My e160rs lives indoors and has never had the battery removed but I've not heard of any problems with re-charging for those that don't ..as far as removing the battery before washing why would you ..?
The bike gets used in all kinds of shitty weather conditions and comes back wet on most rides at the moment so why when its already soaking would I want to do that ?
Drying it off afterwards and re-lubing all the parts that need it is the important bit ..before giving it a hug and tucking it up in bed for the night ?

Ruscky

Jan 16, 2021
Scotland
Thanks all for the input. The battery removal would not bother me too much. The garage is heated so all good there. Also no new to dealing with lithium style batteries so understand storage charges and what not. The only issues I have with the cube is that headset problem that a lot of people seem to get. I get that you cab replace it. But I believe if I'm going to spend money on the bike I want it to last stock as long as possible.

Currently no stock near me of either. I found a Whyte dealer 30 mins from the house so will get in touch with them and see what they have. I think I'd rather not buy online or have to travel far for warranty work. I think if I cant get a Whyte before Christmas then Cube it is. If I really hate it can always sell and wait for a Whyte. Or put spanner in the works and splurge on a Specialized Kenevo Expert

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I'd narrowed my options down to both the Cube 140TM and the Whyte. I didn't want to spend that sort of money on my first emtb without trying so hired a Whyte at Bedgebury. I came off and cracked a rib but didn't want to blame the bike for that as I really wanted to like it as I have a Whyte T129 analogue. I then demoe'd a Cube at my LBS and immediately loved it and still do 500 miles later. I'd advise trying both if you possibly can find a way.

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
Had a Cube TM 160 last year, was a lovely bike when it worked, but just a few things were annoying, the plastic cover for the charger port, loose fitting of covers and the standover height being pretty high on the smaller bikes (think it's the same standover on the 16,18&20" models!) were the only real negatives, mine died after a couple of months, never to return, bought a Giant e-reign with the refund, not because it was the best, but because the giant shop is 10 minutes away, so any issues will be resolved face to face at least! Just remember any bike can fail, my cube did, but 1000 others didn't, so don't take mine failing as being indicative of Cube, it really was just bad luck.

Mate has the Whyte (180rs), loves it, both have the same motor and controls i believe, so wiring will be pretty much the same, it'll be geometry that's the big thing and fit, if i was buying one of these two, i'd have to say i'd go Whyte this time, not that i had an issue with the Cube when using it, but think the lower CofG on the Whyte is a real sell, makes the bike look a bit fugly but works!

Whereabouts in Scotland are you, seems to be a fair few retailers, with a good spread, especially from Glasgow/Edinburgh up to Perth (my old stomping ground!)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO only reason to go fo the Cube over the Whyte is if you need to take the battery out to charge it, as you dont have power where you keep the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles