Why is my E-ST 520 faster than my ST 530 without the battery

rxp

Jun 9, 2023
London
New to the biking world. I've been riding an ST530 since October last year for cardio/fun.

Recently got an EST 520. To my surprise even though it's significantly heavier it seems to go faster for the same effort level (no pedal assit, as measured by heart rate on a chest strap). e.g. at my easy zone I can go 10-12mph with the ebike and only 8-10 with the regular bike. This is on flat terrain, obviously without the motor it's harder to get up a hill.

Why is this? Is the drive train/wheels etc. that much better on the EST520? How can fatter tires and a heavier bike be easier to pedal? I'd like to get my regular ST530 to perform at similar levels - what do I need to change on it?

Been super impressed with the E-ST 520. It's almost like having a variable resistance spin bike in the real world - you don't have to shoot out of your target heart rate zone when you hit hills & they are great for getting out there when you actually need a rest day or your legs are super sore from weights.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Assuming when you lift the 530 off the floor and the wheels turn without resistance (so the bearings/hubs are good) then it's most likely to be the tyres.

Fatter tyres aren't necessarily more "draggy". It depends on the compound, the tread pattern and tyre pressure.

Maybe try swapping the front wheel over first and try that - changing the rear would be more difficult due to the motor.

rxp

Jun 9, 2023
London
Thanks so much! I just tried letting the front wheel spin and it's stopping and not spinning as free as the rear. So I'll investigate a fix. Can't believe I've been peddling that around and wondering why I'm so slow & faster on a city bike!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Fat tyres or normal tyres with lower pressure will roll better over rough surfaces than a tyre that is pumped up hard. The soft tyre conforms to the rocks and acts as suspension. But the hard tyre bounces off the rocks and roots and slows you down.

rxp

Jun 9, 2023
London
So it was the quick release clamp that was over tightened and then it was the disc breaks. I reset the disc breaks and now the wheel spins freely. Took it out for a ride and was shocked I could maintain 15mph on the flat road at my Z1 heart rate. The good thing is I'm way more biking fit then I thought I was - but the bad thing is I bought an ebike to get more range that my legs already had! To think I was doing 20 mile rides in the forest on a dodgy front wheel .....

Looking forward to diving into this hobby more and these forums seem to be a great place for it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So it was the quick release clamp that was over tightened and then it was the disc breaks. I reset the disc breaks and now the wheel spins freely. Took it out for a ride and was shocked I could maintain 15mph on the flat road at my Z1 heart rate. The good thing is I'm way more biking fit then I thought I was - but the bad thing is I bought an ebike to get more range that my legs already had! To think I was doing 20 mile rides in the forest on a dodgy front wheel .....

Looking forward to diving into this hobby more and these forums seem to be a great place for it.
Read the words and watch the video:

rxp

Jun 9, 2023
London
I did some research a while back on the tire pressure aspect so understand that well. The ebike actually drove me to go tubeless as I don't want to risk a flat when I'm 30 miles away from home.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles