Levo Gen 2 Who’s the oldest Levo rider?

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
I’m wondering if there is anyone riding a Levo, or similar emtb, that is older than me? I’m 78 and just bought a Levo Carbon Comp from Scott’s Valley Cycles. My is a ex demo bike but is in like new condition.
I’ve been riding mtb’s for longer than many of you have been alive. That doesn’t mean I’m any good! Just average. I started out on a Raleigh then a Chris Chance, Merlin and a Moots YBB which I still have. Back in 2022 I bought a new Canyon but just after that I was told I have the dreaded cancer, stage Iv prostrate. I recently decided I would like to spend the rest of my time on a e-bike since I’m not strong enough for all the fantastic trails around where I live in Northern California, hence the Levo. I’ve only just started to ride on the road and an easy gravel trail from my house. Trying to sort out the best settings for the motor via the Specialized app.
So e-bikes aren’t just for kids.
If you are older, or anyone for that matter, I would love to hear from you
Thanks for reading
Bazzer

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
Levo Gen 3 not 2. “Damn them eyes”
B
Quotes from Young Frankenstein by Marty Feldman RIP

Last edited:

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
Only 70? You are a mere child😂😂 I hope you enjoy riding as much as I do!😎
My biggest problem is sciatica caused by attempting to ride my Moots with a flat front tire. I fell starting off on the first pedal stroke. It’s left me with a very painful and weak left foot with little feeling so I have to look down to see where my foot is on the pedal. I’m considering putting on an old fashioned toe clip on that side. I’m am used to clip less but I don’t have the courage to fit them yet
Bazzer

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Damn! Wishing you the best @Bazzer485 👍

I’m also 78. Rode a Levo in my youth (I.e., my early 70s), then a Levo SL, and currently a Trek Fuel EXe. They’re all great fun, and I know you’ll enjoy yours. Here’s a shot of my Levo when I was a young punk of 74 -

dwQGdQT-0%21sizeoriginal.jpeg

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
Levity, looks like your riding in Monument Valley, is that local to you? I’d love to make the drive and ride there, car camping of course

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Levity, looks like your riding in Monument Valley, is that local to you? I’d love to make the drive and ride there, car camping of course
That pic is from a ride in the Canyonlands area near Moab, Utah, so not very “local” 😂. It’s a 11+ hour drive from Southern California, but that’s a few hours closer than you in NorCal. Fantastic riding there! We make the pilgrimage every spring and fall and will be heading there in two weeks. We camp and stop to ride at several other locations each way so the trip is typically 3-4 weeks. Here’s a shot on my Trek from last fall (more Slickrock in the Canyonlands area).

kx5WvTB-0%21largestimage%3FMaxSize%3DImageSize5K.jpeg

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
That pic is from a ride in the Canyonlands area near Moab, Utah, so not very “local” 😂. It’s a 11+ hour drive from Southern California, but that’s a few hours closer than you in NorCal. Fantastic riding there! We make the pilgrimage every spring and fall and will be heading there in two weeks. We camp and stop to ride at several other locations each way so the trip is typically 3-4 weeks. Here’s a shot on my Trek from last fall (more Slickrock in the Canyonlands area).

View attachment 138298
Fantastic trip at the best time of the year. I’ve been to Moab three times back in the eighties, I’m told it’s changed a lot. I assume that e-bikes are permitted there, I think it’s Colorado that restricts group 1 bikes to the over 65’s. Is there any restrictions at Moab?

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
That pic is from a ride in the Canyonlands area near Moab, Utah, so not very “local” 😂. It’s a 11+ hour drive from Southern California, but that’s a few hours closer than you in NorCal. Fantastic riding there! We make the pilgrimage every spring and fall and will be heading there in two weeks. We camp and stop to ride at several other locations each way so the trip is typically 3-4 weeks. Here’s a shot on my Trek from last fall (more Slickrock in the Canyonlands

View attachment 138298
A lot of the trails around Moab are closed to eMTBs. Which ones open to eMTBs do you like?

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I'm 65 years young and hoping to ride at least ten more years on a Levo and when it's getting to complicated I'll ask my LBS to make a custom Levo trike.

Bender

Sep 9, 2023
California
I’m wondering if there is anyone riding a Levo, or similar emtb, that is older than me? I’m 78 and just bought a Levo Carbon Comp from Scott’s Valley Cycles. My is a ex demo bike but is in like new condition.
I’ve been riding mtb’s for longer than many of you have been alive. That doesn’t mean I’m any good! Just average. I started out on a Raleigh then a Chris Chance, Merlin and a Moots YBB which I still have. Back in 2022 I bought a new Canyon but just after that I was told I have the dreaded cancer, stage Iv prostrate. I recently decided I would like to spend the rest of my time on a e-bike since I’m not strong enough for all the fantastic trails around where I live in Northern California, hence the Levo. I’ve only just started to ride on the road and an easy gravel trail from my house. Trying to sort out the best settings for the motor via the Specialized app.
Thanks for reading
Bazzer
Not there yet (57 today!) but hope to get there with the same aplomb you folks do 😂

I'm in NorCal as well. Where are you? I'm in south bay.

B0bb0 M

Apr 24, 2023
Whistler, BC
Thanks for reading
Bazzer
I am not older but close to your age. As of this month I’m 76 and have put about 3000 km on my Turbo Levo riding the trails around Whistler BC. My prostrate cancer was not as serious as yours and I’m currently cancer-free. After heart valve repair in 2019 I have found e-biking to be an excellent form of exercise.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So…there’s still hope for us young punks.😉

I occasionally ride with a guy who’s 74. I beat him on the climbs …but he crushes it on the downhill trails. No fear! Takes any drop and jumps medium ramps.
My biggest problem is sciatica caused by attempting to ride my Moots with a flat front tire. I fell starting off on the first pedal stroke. It’s left me with a very painful and weak left foot with little feeling so I have to look down to see where my foot is on the pedal. I’m considering putting on an old fashioned toe clip on that side. I’m am used to clip less but I don’t have the courage to fit them yet
Bazzer
I always road clip-less on road bikes.
Flats were not an option when I started MTBing and clipless was impossible for me. My left foot could no longer find the pedal. Magnetic Peddles were the answer. I’ve tried two different brands before I found the one I liked.

They’re not for everyone and they take a little getting use to. Now all my bikes get magnetic peddles.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
Thanks for reading
Bazzer
I’m so pleased to hear from so many older riders, buts not forget the kids.
It’s years since I road Moab. I’ve camped there, stayed in a motel and stayed in the hostel! I love to ride Slickrock I also remember Gemini as well, I’ll have to get my old guide book out to remember more. I’m from Brighton in the uk originally, there the South Downs and pubs were I loved to ride with my mates.
My health is not good but there is every chance of riding a few more years. I live in Redding Northern California which has become a Mecca for trail riding. We have a very active crew doing trail creation and loads of maintenance. I noticed recently the jail fire crew have been doing maintenance as well, they do get paid for the work, about a $1.00 a day I believe!!
Cheers
Bazzer

ZygZag

Aug 5, 2020
California
Thanks for reading
Bazzer
I'm 80 and had my Turbo Levo for 3 years. Been riding mountain bikes for over 50 years starting the days before suspension. First bike with front suspension was the Cannondale with the spring in the downtube. Then had a Trek Fuel and Specialized Stump Jumper. Also had one of the first Santa Cruz 29rs.

Bazzer485

Apr 8, 2024
Redding CA
I'm 80 and had my Turbo Levo for 3 years. Been riding mountain bikes for over 50 years starting the days before suspension. First bike with front suspension was the Cannondale with the spring in the downtube. Then had a Trek Fuel and Specialized Stump Jumper. Also had one of the first Santa Cruz 29rs.
Wow, beating by a year and one month. My first mtb with suspension was my Mertlin which originally had a Bontrager fork ( I still have that fork). I replaced it with a Rock Shox mag suspension fork way back!
Bazzer

kate8brett

Feb 1, 2024
Australia
Sixteen years your junior and ride a Reign+1 e-bike. Still prefer the down to the up. As an aside , here’s a photo of my 28 year old Camelback ; older than most riders / contributors on this site ( only 2x mouthpiece and 1x tube replacements in this time ). Only contained water, so rinsed every 4-5 years. Our generation played in the dirt and this improved our immune systems. Keep pedalling.
image.jpg

B0bb0 M

Apr 24, 2023
Whistler, BC

B0bb0 M

Apr 24, 2023
Whistler, BC
My 92-year old neighbor in Whistler BC rides his turbo vado sl regularly. In March I did a couple of 10 km rides with him. He spends about half of the year in Carlisle in the UK where he has a second turbo vado SL. His eyesight is poor but he can still ride by following another rider. He likes to reminisce about getting his first bike before he started school. He is an inspiration.

Dave G

Subscriber
Sep 25, 2022
Sheffield Uk
Thanks for reading
Bazzer
Hi Bazzer,
You are in front I'm approaching 70 😊 my first bike was a Dawes Dartanion way back in the early 60's I have rode many different bikes since. One of my latest is. specialized Levo. I also have prostate cancer, at Gleason score of 2. Really hope you enjoy the rest of your life👍😊

ZygZag

Aug 5, 2020
California
Sixteen years your junior and ride a Reign+1 e-bike. Still prefer the down to the up. As an aside , here’s a photo of my 28 year old Camelback ; older than most riders / contributors on this site ( only 2x mouthpiece and 1x tube replacements in this time ). Only contained water, so rinsed every 4-5 years. Our generation played in the dirt and this improved our immune systems. Keep pedall

Sixteen years your junior and ride a Reign+1 e-bike. Still prefer the down to the up. As an aside , here’s a photo of my 28 year old Camelback ; older than most riders / contributors on this site ( only 2x mouthpiece and 1x tube replacements in this time ). Only contained water, so rinsed every 4-5 years. Our generation played in the dirt and this improved our immune systems. Keep pedalling. View attachment 138964
Here's my Camelback. Had it for many years. Don't know how long I've had it, but I did have to replace the bladder. Mayble we could start a new trail of Camelback photos.

IMG_5418.JPG

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
A lot of the trails around Moab are closed to eMTBs. Which ones open to eMTBs do you like?
Yes, ebikes are restricted on many of trails near Moah. We usually take our Amish bikes along with our ebikes to ride the restricted trails, but we see an increasing number of ebikes everywhere of late.

Ebikes are allowed in all Utah State Parks, and one of our favorites is the Intrepid Trail system in Dead Horse Point State Park just above Moab. The trails are very similar to those nearby off Hwy 313 (the Navajo Rocks, Horsesthief and Mag 7 areas). The pic in post #8 above is from the Twisted Tree section of the Intrepid system.

There’s also a lot of great “adventure” riding on the 4x4 trails nearby. Not singletrack but lots of interesting line choices are presented and the scenery is beautiful. Perfect for ebikes. Here are a few examples:

Seven Mile Rim overlook
7 Mile Rim.jpg

Poison Spider Mesa view
Poison Spider.jpg

mrs levity near Bartlett Wash
near Bartlett Wash.jpg

White Rim trail in Canyonlands Natl Park
White Rim.jpg

Metal Masher Widow Maker
Metal Masher.jpg

slickrock around Monitor and Merrimac Buttes
M&M.jpg

between the Buttes
M&M3.jpg

Needles District of Canyonlands Natl Park
Needles.jpg

Silver Stairs in Needles area
Needles 2.jpg

The hiking in the Needles district makes it worth the trip

The Joint trail
Joint Trail.jpg

Big Spring overlook
Needles Hike.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles