Spring rate heavy rider

Joeri

May 13, 2018
Almere-stad, the netherlands
I want to replace my monarch plus debonair for a cane creek db il. Have a bikeyoke so I want a 190x51 shock. I weigh 100 kilos with bikegear. Most spring calculators assume a normal MTB and not an ebike. Is there someone who can tell me the correct spring rate (own experience). I like a bit plush. TF told me probely 700x2.00.
Help please

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Steel Spring 2.3" 700x2.3
This one i use, i’m about 90kg, setup plush with 2 full rotation preload.
Ordered mine from tf tuned, they gave good advice
Grtzzz

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just add 7-8kg to your weight when using the spring calc to negate the motor and battery weight. Everything else is exactly the same as a normal bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Joeri Some spring/shock manufacturers list/mark their springs stroke over the actual stroke. others go with the max compression before it's coil bound/over pre-loaded.
eg. A Fox 2" stroke shock might have a 2.25x or 2.3x stroke stamped on it
While a RS might have 2x
Both are meant to fit 2" stroke shocks
either way what's important is the overall free space and overall length of the spring.

I've run 2.5" stroke Ti springs on 3" stroke coil shocks on DH bikes for years as certain brands that have less winds per length can easily compress the extra .5" and get nowhere near coil bound

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
What a coincidence, I'm working with TFTuned to do a coil conversion and as a matter of fact I initially was hot on the CC DBCoil IL but they have, after a long conversation with Poul, convinced me that the PUSH tuned Fox Van RC is a better option. That is at least if you are a 100+ kg rider like me. They said I need a 800 lbs spring for my fox, a 700 lbs with much more preload would also do but their advice is to go with as little preload as possible in order not to make the shock too harsh in the beginning of the stroke. I'm 110 kg fully kitted btw.

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles